• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Catapults & Trebuchets!

Steverooo

First Post
Trebuchets Beaucoup.

Feel like launching something? This very well done 174 page, soft-cover book, "The Art of the Catapult," from Chicago Review Press, is full of history, lore and detailed building instructions for all of your better siege engines: ballistae, onagers, trebuchets and catapults. Quite suitable for those medieval school projects (and probably of use to gamers, too, eh?). The peace-loving bonus at the end contains instructions for making a "basket-pult," a table-top basketball game, complete with backboard. By William Gurstulle.
Order Number: 92822 ART OF CATAPULT $16.95 / EACH

The Art of the Catapult

(No, I don't work for, nor profit from AS&S. I just thought some RPGers might like a copy!)

Last edited:

Steverooo

First Post
Just got my copy, yesterday... Haven't had a chance to read it, but I did look it over. Siege artillery from Roman to late Medieval times. Plans for building your own miniatures, if you're a woodworker (and, I suppose they can be scaled up). Includes a lot of date info, if that's of interest to you. (I'm surprised there's so little interest in this, among D&Ders!)

:p

Thomas Percy

First Post
You can find more about siege weapons in Wikipedia.
In the "Heroes of Battle" there are siege weapons rules, but I find it complicated and historicaly inacurate.
In the future release of The Forge "Barony" there will be game mechanics for flame (greek/alchemist fire) throwers, cauldrons and some new siege ammo like vipers, beehives etc.

Steverooo

First Post
Thomas Percy said:
In the future release of The Forge "Barony" there will be game mechanics for flame (greek/alchemist fire) throwers, cauldrons and some new siege ammo like vipers, beehives etc.

Just because it's a pet peeve of mine (and for anyone who hasn't noticed), Alchemists' Fire is NOT the same thing as Greek Fire, as water puts it out! Alchemist's Fire is self-igniting, but not water-prrof. Greek Fire is non-self-igniting, but IS water-proof (and probably a higher Craft (Alchemy) DC)! :p

Steverooo

First Post
bolen said:
There was a great show on Nova about building a Trebuchet, lots of good physics in there :p

I actually caught that one (they barely made it in time!), as well as the one about archers, and armor, and hand-biting foxes! :D

The_Gneech

Explorer
Trebuchets, catapults, and cannon, oh my!

Or should it be "Trebuchets, catapults, and cavalry, oh my!"?

-The Gneech :cool:

No, it's not a useful post, I admit it. But hopefully it was at least a little entertaining...

Remove ads