• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cat's Grace on Cleric's Spell list?

johnsemlak

First Post
In my 3.5 PHB, the spell Cat's Grace doesn't appear on the Cleric's spell list, though all the other '+4 ability buff' spells are.

Is that a mistake or is there some reason for it?

Li Shenron

Legend
It was a design reason since 3.0 however, not for balance of course, but just for flavor: "divine agility" was eventually considered not very appropriate for clerics...

Darklone

Most casterclasses don't have all buff spells,... IIRC bards don't get Endurance, essentially all classes don't get the spell they would need most urgently.

Staffan

Legend
johnsemlak said:
In my 3.5 PHB, the spell Cat's Grace doesn't appear on the Cleric's spell list, though all the other '+4 ability buff' spells are.
Fox's Cunning isn't on it either. It was a conscious decision by the writers to only give wizards/sorcerers access to all the anibuffs, other classes get the ones they thought appropriate.

Thanee

First Post
BTW, there is actually a spell called Divine Agility, which grants the base Reflex save of a Rogue (at the full character level) and Spring Attack. ;)

So much for the inappropriateness of Cat's Grace. :p

Bye
Thanee

Li Shenron

Legend
Eeh, I never agreed either about the appropriateness of Blade Barrier and Animate Object being cleric spells and not wizard spells! :p

Darklone

Thanee said:
BTW, there is actually a spell called Divine Agility, which grants the base Reflex save of a Rogue (at the full character level) and Spring Attack. ;)

So much for the inappropriateness of Cat's Grace. :p

Bye
Thanee
The CD is the worst step back to the splatbooks.

Felix

Explorer
Clerics:
Bear's Endurance
Bull's Strength
Eagle's Splendor
Owl's Wisdom

Bards:
Cat's Grace
Fox's Cunning
Eagle's Splendor

Druids:
Bear's Endurance
Bull's Strength
Cat's Grace
Owl's Wisdom

Paladins:
Bull's Strength
Eagle's Splendor
Owl's Wisdom

Rangers:
Bear's Endurance
Cat's Grace
Owl's Wisdom

Sor/Wiz:
Bear's Endurance
Bull's Strength
Cat's Grace
Eagle's Splendor
Fox's Cunning
Owl's Wisdom

Yeah, the designers gave the Sor/Wizards all the animal buffs since apparently they have the ability to specialize, and what Transmuter would be caught without all six in his spellbook? The rest of the casters got what looked most appropriate for their roles. Or rather, didn't get what was least appropriate for their roles. I like the division. But still think there are spells on the Cleric list that should be on the Sor/Wiz...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads