• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cavalier?

circadianwolf

First Post
There are lances, if I recall - they're in the "Spear" class. Not sure which book they're from. Check PHB, PHB2, AV, and AV2.

Unbroken Lance is from AV2 (and the only "lance" in the Compendium). It's a spear group enchantment with a property that when you are mounted and charge a target, you knock the target prone. Pretty nice. :)

Of course, if you're doing a charging build and want to strike, then you'll probably want a Vanguard weapon (+1d8 damage when charging), plus a Horned Helm (+1d6 damage when charging). You also might consider the feat Ogremight Bruiser (for fighters, crit on 19-20 when charging).

Yeah, I think fighter is your best choice overall. You could either go with a normal spear and shield or a great spear and drop the shield. With mounted combat and a Warhorse you can get some pretty nice benefits (trample and charger) that let the horse overrun enemies, damage them, and knock them prone while moving plus you get a +5 bonus to damage while charging.

A Badge of the Berserker would be a nice item to have too.

A chargebarian build using a greatspear would be a viable concept as well. You can use any normal barbarian stuff and riding someone down with Howling Charge and then topping it off with a Rage Strike? Pretty cool.

Ccgizmo

First Post
Thanks everyone, i looked into what everyone else said and i made a nice looking cavalier fighter. just real quick what are the requirements for that Ogremight bruiser? I found an Ogremight feat but it was to boost up at wills.

Mort_Q

First Post
just real quick what are the requirements for that Ogremight bruiser?

Ogremight Student [Lesser Style]

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Fighter or warlord; proficiency with any two-handed hammer or two-handed mace

Ogremight Bruiser [Greater Style]

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite:
Fighter, Ogremight Student feat

Ccgizmo

First Post
Ogremight Student [Lesser Style]

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Fighter or warlord; proficiency with any two-handed hammer or two-handed mace

Ogremight Bruiser [Greater Style]

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Fighter, Ogremight Student feat

Thanks, life saver =)

jbear

First Post
Well, maybe flavourwise you'd have to retinker things, but possibly a Longtooth Shifter Throw and Stab + Marauders Rush Hunter Ranger with Running Attack. Wow... what a mouthful! You could hurl a javelin, draw your greatspear/lance (as you get quickdraw as a free feat) and charge!!!

Here is a quick look. Not exactly your knight in shining armor because although you could forgo DEX, put 13 in CON, get CHAIN and pump WIS to 18 (after racials)... and later on get scale ... but that is two oh so precious feat slots... but you'd be shinier!!!

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 5
Longtooth Shifter, Ranger
Fighting Style: Hunter Fighting Style
Ranger: Running Attack
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 11, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 21 Fort: 17 Reflex: 17 Will: 15
HP: 51 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 12
TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +10, Endurance +8, Acrobatics +9, Athletics +12, Perception +10
UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +5, Heal +5, History +2, Insight +5, Intimidate +1, Religion +2, Stealth +4, Streetwise +1, Thievery +4
FEATS
Level 1: Mark of Handling
Level 2: Manticore's Fury
Level 4: Hafted Defense
POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Marauder's Rush
Ranger at-will 1: Throw and Stab
Ranger encounter 1: Hurling Charge
Ranger daily 1: Skirmishing Stance
Ranger utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Ranger encounter 3: Avenging Charge
Ranger daily 5: Snarling Wolf Stance
ITEMS
Magic Hide Armor +2, Point Blank Javelin +1, Vanguard Longspear +1, Warhorse
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Ccgizmo

First Post
Jbear that's awesome! I really do like that build. But we all know without the shiny armor you will never get the girl lol. Chicks love shiny armor!

mneme

Explorer
Also, it unfortunately doesn't work any more (marauder's rush doesn't charge). Wizards really needs to let you use movement powers when mounted! Otherwise, 80% of the classes don't work well with mounts!

Remove ads