• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cavalier?

Ccgizmo

First Post
Hey everyone, I'm just looking for ideas on how to make a 5th lvl cavalier type character. Any ideas would be awesome, Thanks guys.

Mengu

First Post
Protecting Paladin, Guardian Fighter, or Inspiring Warlord could all fit the bill. What exactly are you looking for that's "Cavalier" about the character?

Amaroq

Community Supporter
Yeah, I think step 1 is figuring out if you want him to be a Defender, a Leader, or a Striker.

Beyond that, I assume you're thinking horse-mounted knight. In that case, the Mounted Combat feat seems like a no-brainer. However, the Eberron Player's Guide has the "Mark of Handling" Dragonmark, which is superior in every way, if your DM will allow it.

Ccgizmo

First Post
Well of course it would be nice to be a striker, but I've never been one to shy away as defender. Sadly I don't fit the bill of a leader heh, so I'd day striker if possible if not then defender would be great too.

Mengu

First Post
There aren't any heavy armored strikers out of the box. You might be able to work with a thaneborn barbarian and strap on some chain, and be pretty good at charging on horseback, but I don't think it will quite have the right feel.

You could take a fighter, and turn it into a pretty decent striker. Get two handed weapon talent, mounted combat, and hewing charge, and you're doing pretty respectable charge damage on a warhorse. You could go half-elf and pick something like Howling Strike as your dilettante for an even better charge tool.

There aren't any lances I'm aware of, but you could easily refluff a Greatspear as a lance. Reach is pretty nice to have, though it won't do as much damage as a Fullblade, Execution Axe, or Mordenkrad. You could alternatively go Weapon Master and have an arsenal of weapons. That can get expensive though, and is more of a "down the road" plan.

Another striker option that might have the mentality (if not the tools) of a cavalier is the Avenger. But again, I'm not exactly sure what aspects of the cavalier you're looking for. I'm having a hard time fitting the mental image of a cavalier into a striker role (rather than defender or leader).

Ccgizmo

First Post
I get ya, the options for a striker with what I want just aren't meant to work, an it would take a lot of tinkering just to manage. Well how about if I say let's just go defender have suggestions for that? And before I make you write down more let me just thank you mengu for the help. Pretty much the basic aspect I want from a cavalier is the charge, manuverability.... And being on my high horse lol.

Amaroq

Community Supporter
There are lances, if I recall - they're in the "Spear" class. Not sure which book they're from. Check PHB, PHB2, AV, and AV2.

If you go fighter, I think there are some nice feats you can take which help build up your charge:

I'm thinking:

Mark of Handling
Powerful Charge (+2 damage on charge)
Hewing Charge (+Con damage on charge)
Surprising Charge (+1W damage on charge vs Combat Advantage)
Barreling Charge
Overrun Critical (Crit on charge pushes 1 and knocks prone)

You might also consider the following powers:

Fighter Encounter 3
Bull Charge - Charge for 2W, Temp HP, push 1, and chance to knock prone

Fighter Daily 5
Brutal Advance - First attack for 1W, push 3, then you can charge for 1W and knock prone.
Cometfall Charge - Charge for 3W+Str+Con

Fighter Encounter 7
Hydra Charge - Charge for close burst 1, 1W

Fighter Daily 9
Murderous Assault - First attack for 2W, then you can charge another target

Some other interesting powers which may be worth multiclassing for or taking a half-elf dilettante for:

Barbarian At-Will 1
Howling Strike - Charge for 1W + 1d6 + Str

Paladin Daily 1
Glorious Charge - Charge for 2W, then heal each ally within 2 squares of you

Ranger Encounter 3
Avenging Charge - Charge for 2W as an Immediate Interrupt when somebody attacks your ally.

Ccgizmo

First Post
Thanks Amaroq, my only question is, i looked for Hewing charge in the character builder, but i couldnt find it. Is it a paragon or epic tier feat?

Remove ads