• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E CB's Stonefast IC -- COMPLETE

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Guran quietly moves through the door and toward the sitting orc, checking for traps as he goes.
[OOC: Dexterity(Stealth)] [roll0]
[OOC: Wisdom(Perception)] [roll1]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
From his position in the doorway, Father Spec pulls with his wrist and utters a sacred word, and thereby summons sacred flames to fall down upon a sleeping orc.

[[OOC: requires a Dex save, but for someone asleep (unconscious) that would be automatically failed? Damage [roll0].]]

tuxgeo

Adventurer
OOC: The declared attacks obviate any attempt by Guran to do a Wisdom (Insight) check to determine whether the orcs are merely pretending to sleep in order to lure outsiders into the room. Such potential pretense is a very remote possibility, but that possibility hasn't even occurred to Guran yet due to his relatively low INT score -- and at this rate, that possibility never will occur to him.

Guran advances toward the snoring orc. [Well, OK: the one holding the falchion. :)]
He attacks that orc using his Short sword. I'm rolling the attack to show Advantage due to Surprise. I'm also adding in sneak attack damage because Roscoe is within 5 feet of the target. If those are wrong, please adjust accordingly.

Alright, the higher attack roll is 22; total damage is 12.
1d20+5;1d20+5;1d6+3;1d6 -> [17,5] = (22)
1d20+5;1d20+5;1d6+3;1d6 -> [15,5] = (20)
1d20+5;1d20+5;1d6+3;1d6 -> [6,3] = (9)
1d20+5;1d20+5;1d6+3;1d6 -> [3] = (3)

BBCode 1d20+5=22, 1d20+5=20, 1d6+3=9, 1d6=3

Guran quietly moves through the door and toward the sitting orc, checking for traps as he goes.
[OOC: Dexterity(Stealth)] 16
[OOC: Wisdom(Perception)] 14
OOC: Checking for traps and trying to be undetected by means of a Stealth check in a room of sleeping creatures is something Guran can do, but the Stealth roll will be made with disadvantage. Let me know if you still wish Guran to check for traps, and, if you do, if you want Guran to try to be stealthy while he does it.

In the interim, while waiting for a reply about traps/Stealth/disadvantage, I will proceed with descriptive text re: Guran's and Roscoe's attacks on the sleeping orcs.

Fulgrim, who remained in the hallway, peered down the hallway. The blood trail didn't end at the door presently being investigated; rather, it petered out for the most part, but Fulgrim spied a splatter ten feet to the south of the door.

Roscoe crept into the room filled with sleeping orcs. The room was 15' square, and contained six orcs. With so many sleeping creatures inside it, the room had only enough space for three of the party to enter without being uncomfortably squeezed.

Roscoe pointed the tip of his short sword at the unprotected neck of the sitting orc with the falchion across his lap, then leaned forward. The tip of his sword eased through the orc's neck like a hot knife through butter. The orc's eyes blinked open and stared at Roscoe, but it made no move to get up. The only sound the rapidly dying creature made was frothy gurgling as blood slid into its lungs. The orc raised a warty hand and clawed at its neck. A moment later, the orc's hand dropped to its side and the creature slumped, dead.
OOC: @Strahd_Von_Zarovich, I need you to clarify something. What's "Adv. Critical?" Couldn't find it on Roscoe's character sheet in the RG or in my 5e PHB. I think you meant that Roscoe gets a critical hit because he rolled a natural 20 on his attack roll. Let me know. I don't want to deprive a character of his abilities.

Guran advanced into the room after Roscoe, and made directly for the closest prone snoring orc. Guran's chosen target was asleep diagonally to booted feet of the sitting guard currently burbling blood from its mouth, and Roscoe was within five feet of Guran. Guran swung at the prone orc's mid-section, easily carving through both a woolen blanket that reeked of sheep, oil, and feet, and orc flesh. He dealt 12 points of damage. The orc immediately sat up and attempted to scrabble to standing. It grasped for a dagger two or three feet away.
OOC: The orc Guran attacked will be Smelly Orc. It isn't dead. Yet. Guran can make an opportunity attack against Smelly Orc as it sits up and reaches for its weapon. This attack should go without benefit of advantage but Guran can use sneak attack damage.

From his position in the doorway, Father Spec pulled with his wrist and uttered a sacred word, summoning sacred flames to rain down upon an orc sleeping in the far southeastern corner of the room. Flame-like radiance bathed the orc, illuminating its cruel features in gilt flickers of yellow and red. Where Spec's sacred flames touched it, the orc's skin bubbled and blackened. The smell of burnt flesh filled started to fill the room. The orc sprang up. With no one immediately beside it, there was no one to challenge it as it stood up from prone. When erect, the creature was a fearsome six feet in height, and had a greataxe in one hand.
OOC: I agree that someone asleep would autofail their Dex save. Is there critical damage for spells in 5e? Curious.

OOC: Everyone roll initiative. Combat! Colden and Fulgrim, who remained in the hallway, had plenty of time to draw and prepare whatever weapon they carry that they might wish to use.

GM: STATUS:
Orc Guard: 0/12 (dead)
Smelly Orc: 2/14
Tough Orc: 13/18
Orcs 4-6: uninjured

Initiative (1d20+3=13)

OOC: What I meant is that I rolled two attack rolls (Advanatge) and I scored a critical with one of them.

Roscoe pulls out his short sword from the dead Orc and eyes the tough Orc, his eyes begin to flare and his mouth twitch ... He begin to enters rage.

OOC: Rage (+2 damage) - resistance to damage, advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
Totem Spirit (bear) - While raging, you have resistance to all damage except psychic damage. - meaning half damage from the Orcs.

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: Yes, you can get a critical hit with a spell, but it has to have an attack roll. You can't crit with a spell that only requires a saving throw.

Initiative = [roll0]

Staring down the corridor, Fulgrim was unprepared for the outbreak of hostilities. Gathering his wits about him, he sent a bolt of fire into the room, aimed at the largest surviving orc.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads