D&D General [CC SRD and OGL] Good OGL Product Full of 5e Spells?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The list of spells in the SRD isn't exactly huge, and I don't want to write up 30 spells on top of everything else, so I was thinking I'll get my hands on some OGL products with 5e spells, and see if I can shortcut that part of the project a bit. (note, I'm including at least 2 classes, 3 races, a handful of feats and magic items, and about a dozen spells, already, in addition to the non-mechanical content)

So, anyone have any favorites?

(Assuming this is for a campaign being prepared for the OP's group)

There is also DMsGuild. I wrote a few books of magic spells with balance against the PHB spells in mind.

THE GRIM: Spells of Necromancy (5e) - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild

THE PRESTIGE: Spells of Illusion (5e) - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild

THE BLAST: Spells of Evocation (5e) - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild

There are also some spells in my experimental Artificer project. This one is PWYW so you can type 0.00 in the price box to download for free and buy again later if you want to toss a coin to the writer.

THE ARTIFICER (5e) (Revised) - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild

doctorbadwolf

(Assuming this is for a campaign being prepared for the OP's group)

There is also DMsGuild. I wrote a few books of magic spells with balance against the PHB spells in mind.

THE GRIM: Spells of Necromancy (5e) - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild

THE PRESTIGE: Spells of Illusion (5e) - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild

THE BLAST: Spells of Evocation (5e) - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild

There are also some spells in my experimental Artificer project. This one is PWYW so you can type 0.00 in the price box to download for free and buy again later if you want to toss a coin to the writer.

THE ARTIFICER (5e) (Revised) - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild
I’m looking into using OGC in my upcoming Tome of Shadows supplement, but I will absolutely look into those for my home games.

mcmillan

Adventurer
Kobold press vault of magic is just magic items not spells. There spells in their heroes handbook. Also some spells in their setting books but nothing too shadow themed i think. Depending on your timeline you might look at the current deep magic 2 kickstarter. The original deep magic is getting a reorganization though any mechanical changes will be available as erratta.

doctorbadwolf

Kobold press vault of magic is just magic items not spells. There spells in their heroes handbook. Also some spells in their setting books but nothing too shadow themed i think. Depending on your timeline you might look at the current deep magic 2 kickstarter. The original deep magic is getting a reorganization though any mechanical changes will be available as erratta.
Interesting. I didn't know about that reorganization. I have Deep Magic 1, and it's pretty good but just sadly ends up not really...hitting the spot, for me. The shadow spells are solid, though, so maybe DM2 will also have good shadow magic.

I should probably also look at the winter/frost/whatever they call it magic

Bupp

Adventurer
I have huge lists of links to spells from all kinds of d&d creators from around the internet on my blog.

renbot

Adventurer
I am genuinely a huge Kobold Press fan. Their settings and modules are really top tier as are many of their creatures.

However their spells are really pretty bad. Bad as an unbalanced, repetitious, overly complicated, and designed to get you to play their subclasses. Ring magic? Angelic magic? Illumination magic? Just... not good.

doctorbadwolf

I am genuinely a huge Kobold Press fan. Their settings and modules are really top tier as are many of their creatures.

However their spells are really pretty bad. Bad as an unbalanced, repetitious, overly complicated, and designed to get you to play their subclasses. Ring magic? Angelic magic? Illumination magic? Just... not good.
Yeah and a lot of them are super niche versions of other spells with broader utility, but at the same spell level.

Idk, I tried to provide feedback and was rebuffed, so, it is what it is. Of course to be fair I provided feedback on twitter, which wasn’t the nicest way to go.

Remove ads