• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CG vs. N: Chaotic Good Victorious!

PJSlavner

Explorer
OOC: You forgot moderate (11-20 MPH). Also, the rilmani might have been blown out if Gansk forgot to take into account their lower Constitution scores in arrowhawk form when they made saving throws against the wind.

PJSlavner

Explorer
Evilhalfling said:
Iksagyarjerit will force herself against the wind to 45n30e and try a dispel magic on both rills. QUOTE]

She does not need to force herself against the wind. It is blowing in the direction she is moving. I will wait to make sure the rilmani are still in the arena, and also maybe Ford is still in the arena.

Infiniti2000

First Post
PJSlavner said:
OOC: You forgot moderate (11-20 MPH). Also, the rilmani might have been blown out if Gansk forgot to take into account their lower Constitution scores in arrowhawk form when they made saving throws against the wind.
I didn't forget moderate, there's isn't any moderate choice under control winds. You don't use the table in the DMG for all wind speeds, you use the 'table' in control winds per the spell description of sandstorm. Yeah, that Con change really affects the save. :)

PJSlavner

Explorer
I was looking in the DMG because I did not know that the spell was just like control winds with sand added. I still think the 'table' in the DMG should be used for level of wind. Otherwise, if you wanted to lower wind strength, you could not lower it below strong, which seems contrary to that part of the intent of the spell. Also, the text of the spell directs you to the DMG.

If Gansk overrules me, that is fine. In that case, if you want a tornado, it is a tornado (not tornado-strength) as written in the DMG, without the chance of blowing creatures out of the arena.

Gansk

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:
OOC: 15th level / 3 = 5 steps of wind strength. I see 1-strong(21+), 2-severe(31+), 3-windstorm(51+), 4-hurricane(75+), 5-tornado(175+). The sandstorm spell description has an option for duststorm without even the first step (I think it's a typo). Regardless, I don't see why it's not a tornado.

It's not a typo, what it is saying is that the sand component of the sandstorm does not kick in unless you can get the wind strength up to severe or higher. Considering that the minimum level to cast the spell is 11th, that is not a problem (with either interpretation of the spell).

I'm not convinced that the 'table' is fully described in the control winds description. Remember that you can also decrease the wind strength, so there should be an entry for 0 mph winds in the spell description if that was the definitive 'table'.

I'll search around the Rules forum for opinions and make a final decision before we continue.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I support Gansk and PJ on this, in that you should use the Weather table in the DMG rather than the control winds spell description. The PHB refers to "the catagories are briefly described below, with more detail to be found in the DMG" while his is missing from the SRD site I was using. Logically there are more than the listed catagories, with the spell just describing the ones with combat effects.

Infiniti2000

First Post
PJSlavner: Otherwise, if you wanted to lower wind strength, you could not lower it below strong, which seems contrary to that part of the intent of the spell.
Gansk: Remember that you can also decrease the wind strength, so there should be an entry for 0 mph winds in the spell description if that was the definitive 'table'.
That's right, it can't be 0mph winds. But, you can create an "eye" of calm winds. Unless you create an eye (and Ford didn't), then you cannot create less than strong winds in the area of effect.

Also, regardless on the ruling of the windspeed, Gansk, do you need to recalculate the saves with the new Con modifiers? :)

PS Also, regardless on the ruling, Ford will still have created the sandstorm.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads