• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chainmail Updates: [updated]

Chaz

First Post
dpdx, I hired a couple henchmen earlier for a character myself. They worked great. I have seen the problems you mentioned though. Neither of mine was a mage. As far as arming them... you can open the inventory for them. You cant take thier goods, but I think you can arm them. My guys responded to the simple radial mouse commands of "follow me" "guard me" off of their icons.

Not sure about the alignment thing... I know ive gotten one of my guys to switch from evil to neutral by releasing prisoners(gonna have to stop that crap ;) ). I will look into it more.
In fact, I lucked out in a couple of dungeons, and should now be able to recompense Roland Darkmoor's characters, who are practically the only reason my guy is L8 now...
Take it from me... That 'Roland Darkmoor' fella helps without needing to be paid back. :D
Thanks for the thought though.

Peace

dpdx

Explorer
Chaz said:
dpdx, I hired a couple henchmen earlier for a character myself. They worked great. I have seen the problems you mentioned though. Neither of mine was a mage. As far as arming them... you can open the inventory for them. You cant take thier goods, but I think you can arm them. My guys responded to the simple radial mouse commands of "follow me" "guard me" off of their icons.

Not sure about the alignment thing... I know ive gotten one of my guys to switch from evil to neutral by releasing prisoners(gonna have to stop that crap ;) ). I will look into it more.

Take it from me... That 'Roland Darkmoor' fella helps without needing to be paid back. :D
Thanks for the thought though.

Peace
I thought so. :D

But anything 'he' needs that an L8 Dwarven Fighter who's ready to take DD levels can provide, it's 'his.' Muscle, that Reactive Helm I got that's worth about 200K gold (I have two of those), anything.

As for the henchmen...

I clicked repeatedly on the Follow Me and Fight Nearest options to no avail (maybe I'll try Guard Me). I even had that talk with each of them so that they were supposed to stay no more than 3m from me at all times. I went into the inventory and equipped them with their main weapons - still no help. Funny thing, at the beginning they would at least fight and kill the Workers at the very beginning of the level where they were (by the rope, of course), even though we were supposed to be together. Then they just stood there. Maybe once in a while they'd automagically appear at my side, but it just got progressively worse.

I'll keep playing, though, and keep reporting back. Thanks again.

-dpdx (Pelican66, as Rurik Axebender in the world).

Chaz

First Post
Hmm thats odd. I hired some more henchmen and they followed me and fought for me without me doing anything. In fact they protect me so well they often die in my service.
Not sure ...

Peace

dpdx

Explorer
Okay, it's a timing thing. Possibly my (DSL) connection is lagging the rest of the game, but the monsters still seem to keep up.

I took two Guardsmen down w/ me - if I waited long enough, they eventually followed my commands. Unfortunately, they weren't working as fast as I or the ants were working, and the swordsman died fighting a Winged Royal. The (L9) Assault guy survived, but only just.

I'm almost to the point where I can clear out the whole level solo, with lots (10) of healing potions. I managed to kill everything (including the Queen) on the way in, but got whacked by three Winged Royals on the way out. Even though I killed all the larvae, when I went to talk to Fenthick, the dialogue wouldn't let me tell him I'd cleared it out.

At least the spawning thing (especially as it pertains to the ant hole) seems to totally be fixed.

cantrip

Explorer
dpdx said:
Even though I killed all the larvae, when I went to talk to Fenthick, the dialogue wouldn't let me tell him I'd cleared it out.
That's a slight bug. The script is missing, I think one line, that sets the quest as completed.

Chaz

First Post
Yeah the ant quest cant be completed(reward gained) but its good for xp early on.

As far as the henchmen goes... I got some more late last night and the lag was bad. They barley followed me around, and didnt fight worth a darn. So if there is lag they dont work well. Otherwise they are a big help. I also think it might have to do with whether somebodys in the ant lair or not. It seems the Mod works better if the ants are left asleep... at least right now.

You might try getting some henchmen and trying outside of town if you have a few levels already.

Anyway best of luck.

Peace

Greylock

First Post
Chaz said:
Yeah the ant quest cant be completed(reward gained) but its good for xp early on.

The perils of a BETA test. I found this to be annoying, as the ant quest can be vicious. My little Silky got hammered over and over on it.

Chaz

First Post
Just a quick update note... I asked the Mod designer if the strongholds and weapon forges were fixed in the upcoming update(beta 8 I think). Here is the reply, and news that the release may be available in the next few days... cross your fingers gang. :)
Name: kadamait
IP Logged: 4.63.xxx.xxx
Date: 03/09/05 15:53

Both stongholds and the forge should be working; as far as I know in the upcoming release. The release was re-architected to provide better performance and will be posted in, and I am guessing here, in the next couple of days.

However, as the beta 8 is vastly different than the previous public beta, those of you who have become familiar with where functionality is located within the source will have to re-familiarize yourself with the source-logic's layout.

thanks,
--k
Just thought id let everyone know. I think im not the only one looking forward to this.

Peace :D

Neo

Explorer
Chaz said:
Just a quick update note... I asked the Mod designer if the strongholds and weapon forges were fixed in the upcoming update(beta 8 I think). Here is the reply, and news that the release may be available in the next few days... cross your fingers gang. :)

Just thought id let everyone know. I think im not the only one looking forward to this.

Peace :D

Sounds promising, definitely.

dpdx

Explorer
Strongholds AND forges would be killer: Even just a one-roomer in Fontessa Valley with a door that stays locked for anybody but my guy would be awesome.

As for Forges, it'd be nice to finally do something with the soul stone and my MW waraxe.

Remove ads