D&D 5E Challenge in 5E

jgsugden

Legend
My rules of design:

1.) PCs should not feel like their life is in jeopardy in every combat once they get a few levels under their belt. They're heroes. They should feel competent and capable.

2.) Every combat has to have a risk of failure. This does not mean a reasonable risk of death. It means that they can fail to achieve a goal. There are a lot of ways for a PC to risk failure that do not involve death. The enemy might get away, kill an ally, steal something, destroy something, raise an alarm, finish a ritual, etc...

3.) The risk of failure has to be real. If the DM bails the PCs out, then there are no real stakes here. If the DM is anything other than as unbiased of an arbiter as they can be, then the PCs are not really playing the game - they're just there to observe the story the DM is laying out. As a DM, my rule is that once I add something to my world it is 'real' and not subject to revision - even if the PCs have not encountered it, yet.

4.) Death is OK. TPK is also OK. When a PC dies - and does not come back - it gives the PC an end to their party of their story. The story can live on with the rest of the group experiencing the ramifications of it. That can also be a cool experience. It reinforces that the heroes of the story have a real meaning.

From a practical perspective, I typically place 10 to 18 encounters per character level and they follow a bell curve of threat:

A couple easy and a couple very deadly.
A few (2 to 4) medium and a few (2 to 4) deadly.
Several (3 to 6) hard challenges.

The easier the challenge, the more it is about the PCs doing something within the combat and the less it is about them surviving the fight.

When designing the encounters, I try to have a variety of sizes and configurations for enemy forces. I also try to make sure there is at least one interesting thing about each environment in which the PCs are fighting.

Throw all that together, practice it a bit, and you get a pretty solid foundation for good storytelling and interesting encounters.

Hussar

Legend
I disagree with 3. How is 25% an automatic failure, especially if failure doesn't mean TPK?
Because it's basically a really bad idea to do anything where you fail to succeed 1 in 4. Particularly if you have 4 PC's - that means one pretty much guaranteed failure. So, even if it's not a TPK, a 25% chance of death is realistically a 100% when multiplied by the number of PC's. Over the course of a single adventuring day, you should kill every PC with that level of risk.

Challenge is never limited to a single encounter and it is a mistake to think of challenges as discrete. Challenges always impact subsequent challenges.

Pedantic

Legend
Because it's basically a really bad idea to do anything where you fail to succeed 1 in 4. Particularly if you have 4 PC's - that means one pretty much guaranteed failure. So, even if it's not a TPK, a 25% chance of death is realistically a 100% when multiplied by the number of PC's. Over the course of a single adventuring day, you should kill every PC with that level of risk.
Yeah, this is the problem with DMs trying to evaluate the level of risk of any given check in the moment. Iterative probability adds up quickly and it's not intuitive to figure out on the fly. It's wrong to think of any given check as a "challenge." Particularly if it's not something players actively chose to engage with: the difference between a player knowing it's a DC 15 check to climb a wall, then evaluating that risk as the best action and a DM deciding it's a DC 15 after a player has announced they will climb a wall.
Challenge is never limited to a single encounter and it is a mistake to think of challenges as discrete. Challenges always impact subsequent challenges.
Precisely. This whole discussion of probabilities is missing the mark. None of this should be about singular die rolls. The enjoyment of challenge in TTRPGs is particularly appealing because the board state is unbounded. You have a truly absurd palette of actions to pick from and you can update your victory condition as the game continues. You start with "get into the castle" and then adjust to "get the treasure map out of the castle" and then "return the idol from the treasure to the ancestral temple" and so on, plotting the best way to achieve each new goal as you adopt them. The challenge is how to effectively/safely/cheaply make those goals happen.

That's the intersection of Discovery and Challenge that I find particularly compelling in TTRPGs really. You run across new stuff in the fictional world, and then decide what to do with/about it, and ideally then get rewarded by optimizing your choices to achieve that goal.

Last edited:

Remove ads