• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Challenging my high-lvl group (NPCs and monsters; my players shouldn't read this!)

Nail

First Post
Piratecat said:
Some friends have given me some sneaky plans in that regard, Jeremy, that are going to make the battle... interesting. I'll post stats as soon as I post the story!

...Can't wait! Have at 'em!

(But "sneaky" taken with "DM" usually means PC fatalities, does it not? Surely that leans towards option "b" of Jeremy's.........)

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Didn't someone (a fighter type) die fighting the trillith or around that time? As far as I can remember, that seems to be the last death that has been permanent...

Best,
tKL

Having read through this thread, I thought I would tender this idea:

Skeleton Arrow
A skeleton arrow is actually a Tiny streamlined skeleton, with its clawed hands held above its head creating an arrowhead shape.

It can be fired like a normal arrow. On a hit, it does normal arrow damage, and then gets out of arrow shape and attacks. It gets an automatic grapple attempt and then (whether the attempt succeeds or not) attacks until destroyed.

On a successful critical hit, the skeleton is imbedded in the target. Instead of the automatic grapple check, it starts tearing at the targets internal organs, doing 1 point of damage per round. It continues doing this until pulled out (causing the target 1d6 damage), at which point it starts attacking whoever is holding it.

What sort of bonus equivalent would this be? I rekon about +3, as a ball park.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
I just scanned through my copy of the story hour, and Valdek was killed by the trillith — as for the others, that sounds reasonable enough (I didn't check) — but he wasn't willing to come back from the afterlife. Has anyone else died?

Best,
tKL

Agar was killed in a battle with the Dockside Royals on their ship in the harbor of Eversink. He was the victim of a nasty crossfire of lightning bolts.

He was of course later resurrected by Velendo in an elaborate ceremony at the local temple.

Elric

First Post
I seem to remember Malachite being killed by the Githzerai (or was is Githyanki?) in a fight on some other plane. He was raised (by the phoenix who shares Nolin's soul, I think) soon after the fight.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Malachite was killed, but it was his astral form; his real body was fine!

Sigh. I tried tonight, I really did, but those sob's were sneaky. They actually used teamwork and tactics and scouts! And it made all the difference in the world.

Remove ads