• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chance to hit decreases as you level

Lakoda

First Post
This is similar to the idea my Rogue pitched to me. She suggested a fear (no prereqs) that lets you use Dex on MBA attack rolls, but not damage rolls. Her logic was that then the STR rogue would still have an advantage over the CHA rogue (even if they both took the feat).

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Did you read this thread? From the first post I was looking for a way for my Warlord's decision to take (and use) commander's strike not be completely wasted on a low STR rogue.

Gotta say, this is like saying you wish Commander's strike wasn't completely wasted on a wizard. It is. It just is. I am bemused by the fact that the rogue misses even comes up; a typical warlord wouldn't try it at all with a low STR character.

There are other at-wills, you know? You work with the partners you got, not the partners you wish you had. If the tactical warlord is paired with a fighter, commander's strike is awesome. If the main melee partner is an artful dodger, then it sucks. But what rocks when you have a warlord and an artful dodger is using Wolf pack tactic to generate easy sneak attack. You shouldn't even have commander's strike selected in that scenario.

Fighting with different party compositions is supposed to feel different. It is not a design flaw.

---

Concerning the issue at hand; I built a level 30 fighter. +34 to hit.

The Tarrasque, Solo Brute 30, has AC 43. 9 or more to hit.
Ancient Red Dragon, Solo soldier 30 AV 48, 14 or more to hit

Level 4, same fighter had +11 to hit.

Young black dragon, Solo lurker 4, has 22 AC, 11 or more to hit

There are no soldier solo at level 4 for me to compare but if there were, they'd be close to 14 to hit too, like the ancient red dragon for the level 30 fighter.

And remember that Solos have higher defense than normal monsters.

Everything looks fine to me.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
You can't argue with getting a lot more options as you level and that you can increase your changes to hit with side effects of powers and/or utilities, but I do not find this an acceptable solution. Why should my players have to take utilities that increase chances to hit just to be viable?
They don't. The improvements come from attack powers.

If you want to spend utilities being better at combat, you will be ahead of that part of the game. If you spend utilities being better at skill stuff, you will be ahead of that part of the game.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads