Chance to hit

ZickZak

Explorer
If the only thing you remember about 5e is the build that is specifically tailored to hit more often than everyone else, I’m not surprised your perception of accuracy in 5e is skewed.
It was more or less ike that for everyone

Odesláno z mého HUAWEI VNS-L21 pomocí Tapatalk

Prism

Explorer
It was more or less ike that for everyone

Odesláno z mého HUAWEI VNS-L21 pomocí Tapatalk

If the party that is optimised, for example racial stats are matched to classes and ideal magic items are provided for characters (archer finds a +1 bow) then you can take on higher CR creatures and encounters than the DMG and/or official adventures suggest. If you give 5e another go and prefer to stick that that style of play then I suggest making the encounters harder.

Across all of our games I would say only about 10% of the characters have a magic weapon with a +x to hit

SuperTD

Explorer
I dont remember 5e, I played ranger, so I know about that style. I dont know what other classes have. According to gm guides, its 15. So that s 75% without the weapon for the archer.

Very few features give any flat bonuses to hit in 5e, specifically for the reason you've pointed out. I would expect every character in the party other than a specialized archer to have +7 to hit at that level assuming no magic weapons, rather than the +9 you're using in the example. It may have been that your DM was throwing you up against lower AC creatures, causing you to hit more often, or you had magic items which break the bounded accuracy of the game.

Very few features give any flat bonuses to hit in 5e, specifically for the reason you've pointed out. I would expect every character in the party other than a specialized archer to have +7 to hit at that level assuming no magic weapons, rather than the +9 you're using in the example. It may have been that your DM was throwing you up against lower AC creatures, causing you to hit more often, or you had magic items which break the bounded accuracy of the game.
You are supposed to be able to fight lower-level creatures, which tend to have lower AC, though. That was one of the explicit design goals behind bounded accuracy, so you wouldn't ever need level 11 grunt orcs in your "Against the Orcs" campaign. And the game should also be expected to accommodate magic items without breaking in half. If the game doesn't work when you include magical items, then they aren't really an option.

Monster AC, in general, seems to be out of line with the available tools for increasing your accuracy. Bless is a second die which helps to normalize the probability distribution, and it's available at first level. Barbarians have advantage on all of their attacks, and can even hand it out to adjacent allies. Heaven forbid you use the "optional" rules for flanking.

Honestly, it seems like the attack roll is more of a formality than anything else, and you can see this when you look at the HP inflation between the bandit (AC 12, HP 11) and the thug (AC 11, HP 32). The thug knows you're going to hit it, but it doesn't care because it can afford to get hit a few times, and you may not be able to if you're fighting this CR 1/2 enemy while you're only level 1 or 2. (Incidentally, thugs also attack with advantage most of the time, even if you aren't using the flanking rules.)

That's just the nature of 5E. Armor Class doesn't actually protect anyone, so Hit Points are the defining factor for how long you can stay in the fight. It's the main reason why some feats are considered overpowered. The math in 5E isn't quite as finely-tuned as it was in 4E (which should not be held as the paragon of balanced math, given the amount of cheating they had to do in order to fit magic items into their system), but the system works in spite of that since it uses HP as a giant slush factor, with trivial healing to keep PCs going indefinitely.

Stalker0

Legend
The only time I feel that attack rolls truly trounce AC is at the highest levels. And compared to the power of high level casters I don’t mind that fighters the majority of the time.

And it’s still not automatic, 90% on 4 attacks still means your missing an attack here and ther...and again this is at the highest levels

Satyrn

First Post
We had an idea lately that if we put the perlevelbonus to ac instead of attack, we might get back to the ca 60% hit chance.
I think that would be too much of a swing the other way - that you won't be hitting nearly enough.

I think moving the bonus from attack to damage would be a better place to start tweaking. Or even just drop the bonus from attack and don't bother moving it to something else.

Hussar

Legend
Couple of points.

1. The archery accuracy thing is kinda a known issue but should only apply to a single pc.

2. While bless is possible, you are eating a resource to do it and it’s concentration meaning that your other options are limited. Blowing six spells a day to keep half the party blessed all the time is not easy.

3. While sure the barbarian might be getting advantage on all attacks, he’s burning through hp at an alarming rate to do so. He’s a walking piñata. Which eats a lot of party resources.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
While I disagree with the OP, this hardly seems either appropriate or called for.

Why not? OP is the same as those 'Game sucks, I quit' threads in every gaming forum ever. Some games, you can understand why they quit, even sympathize with them. But this OP obviously have a very unreasonable excuse for quitting, which is basically poor understanding of game mechanics or even basic math. Also, his post is short and does not even try to convince or put forth any argument, that i wonder if he is trolling.

If you want to quit then just quit, don't need to announce your departure, because nobody cares.

Last edited:

Remove ads