• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Chance to Learn spell And Int Needed to know.

Murkmoldiev

First Post
As far as I can see it the learn a spell from a spell book or scroll spell craft check is gone,
as is INT needed to learn high level spells and check to Prepare a spell from a borrowed spell book,
as well as read magic being needed to figure out a scroll.

This will speed things up. It seemed to just penalize Wizards on bad rolls.
" You find an amazing spell book and.... learn three of the spells... " sad face.

Why do you think they took these out
Read magic
Learning spell check
and INT needed.

1st ed and 2nd ed had Chance to Know each listed spell- Max spells per level .

Your thoughts ? Does this make the game radder or do these wizards need to be slowed down in their insane accumulation of POWER !

Li Shenron

Legend
Your thoughts ? Does this make the game radder or do these wizards need to be slowed down in their insane accumulation of POWER !

I don't think it automatically increases or decreases the number of spells they learn. Rather, it puts this number totally under DM's responsibility: now the DM knows exactly how many spells the Wizard can learn from a found spellbook, i.e. all of them.

As for read magic, I assume they decided it was redundant. Maybe you don't need a whole spell in order to read a scroll, if you're a Wizard you already know the language of magic. Indeed, it does feel a bit redundant to need a spell in order to read another spell... Actually I think it would be more cool if it was a skill but then I suppose they preferred automatic success.

Murkmoldiev

First Post
Yeah, I always found it funny " You have just studied magic for years and here is cantrip scroll ... buuuut you cant read it...

Once again it streamlines and speeds up the game, making more time for fun things instead of wasted time where the rest of the party waits while the wizard rolls dice by himself to discover exactly how disappointed he should be.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
I don't really see it as streamlining, since it's the kind of thing that should be handled off-line. It's just softening another limitation faced by the wizard. Should make the class a little more accessible though, which is a good thing, since neo-Vancian can be a little unintuitive.

Remove ads