D&D (2024) Change in Charisma Description

Vaalingrade

Legend
I actually have a thing where hobs (the progeny of humans, orcs and goblins) are unusually beautiful by way of being highly symmetrical. (which primate like).

So I gave them this, non-charisma dependent power:

Distracting Symmetry – Reaction
The striking appearance of hobs provoke strong reactions from others for good or for ill.

As a Reaction triggered by a creature that can see you making an attack or maneuver roll, a skill check or a saving throw against an effect you created, that creature must roll twice and take the worse result. A given creature cannot be the target of this ability more than once in a given encounter.

If it's an issue for your group, put Comeliness back into the game, which is a straight value for how attractive a character is.

And was completely sexist and widely considered one of the low moments in the game. What folks want to do at their table is up to them, but there is zero chance of WotC opening that particular can of worms again. Besides, they have their hands full at the moment, as far as controversy goes.
If you read my comment again, you'll see I never suggested that WotC bring comeliness back into the game.

Reynard

Legend
Though humans hate to admit it, we do have a tendency to react to attractive people better than unattractive ones. Perhaps this would be a good example of a 1st level Feat, "Exceptional Beauty", rather than conflating attractiveness with Charisma?
That's a good solution, and "realistically" (I know) it could add a reaction adjustment bonus but only for the INITIAL reaction.

Incenjucar

Legend
Attractiveness is subjective. While there are trends, physical traits have different qualities to different people based on their personal experiences, associations, and preferences. Often it's also directly in relationship to themselves, like someone preferring the appearance of women who are taller than themselves, which can rather vary between gnomes and goliaths.

Clint_L

Hero
Ultimately, what problem is this looking to solve? From what it sounds like, this has not even been an issue at OP's table, so why open this can of worms? If any table feels like they need to tie physical appearance to Charisma, there's nothing stopping them, but writing it into the rules would just lead to a lot of unnecessary tension, IMO.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I think any issue here is solved by just asking the players:

"Your character has high charisma... How does that manifest?"

"They are stunningly beautiful and know how to use it to manipulate people."

"They are plain looking, but have a powerful voice that can command armies."

"They are hunchbacked and pockmarked, but have an air of mystery that catches your attention and makes you pay attention to their quietest whisperings."

Or even just:

"They're an experienced traveler who is good with people."

Appearance can be a part of it, but doesn't need to be. Leave it up to the player instead of deciding for them.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
What's beautiful to an orc, or a mule, or a kraken?
Exactly. Because of this subjectiveness, I recently came up with a quick and simple system for when a player asks a GM if an NPC is "attractive" or "good-looking", or whatever: the player rolls a d20 and the GM rolls a d20. The closer those two results are to each other, the more the NPCs looks line up with the PCs tastes.

Remove ads