• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Changes from the playtest: Combat

Snapdragyn

Explorer
I'm kinda glad Coup de Grace is removed, if only because it's the most mispronounced term in D&D evar (got tired of saying "koo-day-grahs, you fools, not coop-day-grah") :)

Actually, it should be 'koo-duh-grahs' not 'koo-day-grahs'. The pronunciation 'day' would indicate the spelling 'des', as in 'Coup des Grace'.

(Putting my 1 skill point in Lingusitics (French) to good use.)

Last edited:

Snapdragyn

Explorer
If you have two attacks (like a 5th level fighter) can you shove with one and swing your sword with the other?

I believe so, & expect the use of Athletics to shove an opponent prone & then follow up with all attacks having Advantage to be a popular playstyle (more so beyond two attacks, I'd suspect, unless dealing with an opponent who's proving rather difficult to hit).

Agamon

Adventurer
Actually, it should be 'koo-duh-grahs' not 'koo-day-grahs'. The pronunciation 'day' would indicate the spelling 'des', as in 'Coup des Grace'.

(Putting my 1 skill point in Lingusitics (French) to good use.)

You are right, I wrote that pretty quickly. I'm doing plurals in Duolingo right now so I have "des" on the brain. :D

Agamon

Adventurer
Definitely! You can just roll 8d20 and see how many attacks hits in a few seconds.

Potentially, if you're fighting one big creature that hasn't been hurt yet. But you can also move between attacks and potentially target different foes, depending on how successful the first few attacks are.

Li Shenron

Legend
Potentially, if you're fighting one big creature that hasn't been hurt yet. But you can also move between attacks and potentially target different foes, depending on how successful the first few attacks are.

Then eat it and roll in order. You aren't going to roll many more dice than with a well-placed meteor swarm. If rolling a load of dice twice a day is a problem, ask your DM to never have encounters with lots of foes.

Agamon

Adventurer
Then eat it and roll in order. You aren't going to roll many more dice than with a well-placed meteor swarm. If rolling a load of dice twice a day is a problem, ask your DM to never have encounters with lots of foes.

Luckily, I am the DM. So if I don't want to have high-level encounters, there won't be any. ;)

I just get frustrated trying to watch some people try to do math. At least if I was player, I could pull out my phone and not worry about how long it's taking everyone else to do their turn. Can't really do that as the DM.

Remove ads