• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Changes from the playtest: Combat

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
It wasn't called coup de grace, but such rules are present in AD&D. If an opponent is helpless, he can be attacked at twice the normal rate for automatic maximum damage; otherwise, if non involved in a melee, one such opponent can be slayed per round.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I really hope these are just hanging out in the PHB. D&D with no Charge seems... wrong. CdG solved a lot of problems, and there needs to be some kind of "if the enemy cannot act, you can kill them" rule (beyond "common sense", because in a lot of this situations, the DM may feel "common sense" is different to the players, and it's usually going to be a combat issue).

It looks like CdG has been moved into the conditions.

Cheers!

Psikerlord#

Explorer
In fact, Action Surge allows the fighter to get an extra action, on top of a potential bonus action, so a high-level fighter can, in fact, get 8 attacks twice per rest.

This seems fine to me. :)

Cheers!
Action surge is borderline OP, if not outright OP at higher levels. It will be included in all the minmaxed DPR builds, including TWF - you can use action surge with TWF too, cant you? But then, the fighter should be great at damage. It is very, very strong, however, and would have been just fine adding an additional single attack (maybe 2 attacks at 20th).

jadrax

Adventurer
Action surge is borderline OP, if not outright OP at higher levels. It will be included in all the minmaxed DPR builds, including TWF - you can use action surge with TWF too, cant you? But then, the fighter should be great at damage. It is very, very strong, however, and would have been just fine adding an additional single attack (maybe 2 attacks at 20th).

It dosent net you an extra Bonus Action.

So a s I understand it, a 20th level fighter would get 4 main hand attacks, another 4 main hand attacks from action surge, and a final off-hand attack. He can only do this twice before dropping down to 5 attacks a round.

It dosent net you an extra Bonus Action.

So a s I understand it, a 20th level fighter would get 4 main hand attacks, another 4 main hand attacks from action surge, and a final off-hand attack. He can only do this twice before dropping down to 5 attacks a round.

Also, a Wizard at this level can AOE for 40d6 damage sooooooo...

"High Level D&D Still Broken -- News at 11"

Really, I have a hard time judging a game by comparing abilities at 18th-20th levels. D&D has never worked especially well at that point on the scale, and I don't expect it to this time around, either. I'd like it to work better, but expecting 20th to suddenly be as balanced as 1st through 5th is setting us up for disappointment.

"High Level D&D Still Broken -- News at 11"

Really, I have a hard time judging a game by comparing abilities at 18th-20th levels. D&D has never worked especially well at that point on the scale, and I don't expect it to this time around, either. I'd like it to work better, but expecting 20th to suddenly be as balanced as 1st through 5th is setting us up for disappointment.

To be clear, only Psikerlord# is complaining about this, Olgar, and his chosen point of complaint is pretty hilariously off, which is what we are showing.

Remove ads