Pathfinder 2E Changes from the Playtest?

Retreater

Legend
My group tried the PF2 Playtest and thoroughly hated the experience (with the exception of the character creation, which they loved).

I'm wondering if there's a good resource that compares the actual PF2 Core book release to the Playtest so I can easily spot the changes. I'm also curious about the organization of the book - which I thought the Playtest book format was basically an unusable mess. Is it laid out any better? Do I have to go to 3-5 different chapters just to figure out death saving throws? etc.

Paizo seems to be doing more to support the player base than D&D at this point, so I'm a little curious about the new system. But not enough to buy the book without more information. So if anyone can link me to something, that'd be great.

zztong

Explorer
I'm not aware of a detailed comparison.

From my own experiences having done the complete playtest and trying to support a local DM who is running PF2, I can offer an opinion:

There weren't any major structural changes between the playtest and the final version. There was a scaling change in the amount of bonus granted by levels of proficiency (TEML). There are lots of small changes such as tweaks to spells and feats.

The layout is improved a little, but I still find it a pain in the butt to use a PDF. I prefer to use other sources, such as websites and Hero Lab Online summary features, at least when HLO works.

The Death/Dying rules are basically the same as the 1.6 Update in the Playtest.

Ringtail

World Traveller
Unfortunately I don't know many of the specific details either, but from what I can tell the two games are very similar.

Many minor changes have been worked across the board and from what I can tell the reception of the Core Book of 2e is much better than that of the Playtest. If you utterly hated the Playtest I don't imagine you'll like 2e. If you sort of liked it, and just strongly disliked a few things it may be worth a deeper look.

The CRB is still formatted horribly IMO and you have to do a lot of flipping just to find out information. Ex. I was looking at some feat which says you gain spells "as per X feat. Page xx" I go to that page and read that feat and it directs me back to the class page to a different list on page xx. Horrible, but at least the page numbers are there, right?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases