D&D 5E Changes in Interpretation

People might discuse forever about AEDU, Vancian, or healing surges, which at the end of the day, it's a matter of tastes. The way it was marketed, was a horrible failure.

Yup. I mean, the "I'm a monster" video basically told all players of gnomes: "Your character - which you've been playing for years? - it sucks. It is uncool. You needn't give us your uncool money any more, loser."

So I obliged them.

Really, what were they THINKING? What marketing genius thought that video would be a good idea?

EDIT: Oh, and a hearty BWAHAHA! at Yora's post! I'd XP you if I could.

Last edited:

Yup. I mean, the "I'm a monster" video basically told all players of gnomes: "Your character - which you've been playing for years? - it sucks. It is uncool. You needn't give us your uncool money any more, loser."

So I obliged them.

Really, what were they THINKING? What marketing genius thought that video would be a good idea?

EDIT: Oh, and a hearty BWAHAHA! at Yora's post! I'd XP you if I could.

I loved the gnome videos

Scribble

First Post
I think those videos were taken a lot more negatively then they should have been...

But I also think this is because they were unfortunately a poorly timed attempt at diffusing a rapidly devolving situation with humor...

I loved the gnome videos

Really? And you played gnomish characters and enjoyed them?

If so, all I can say is, you have a different sense of humor than mine.

EDIT:

I think those videos were taken a lot more negatively then they should have been...

But I also think this is because they were unfortunately a poorly timed attempt at diffusing a rapidly devolving situation with humor...

'Should have been'? How negatively should they have been taken, pray? The phrase 'adding insult to injury' comes to mind.

If they were intended to defuse the situation, all I can say is that they failed spectacularly in my own case.

Last edited:

Scribble

First Post
'Should have been'? How negatively should they have been taken, pray?

Well aside from not being all that funny, they shouldn't have been taken as an insult. (Although I'm a monsterrrrr made a good ringtone.)

So negatively in the sense of "Man you need to hire a new writer" as opposed to negatively in the sense of "You and I must now duel!"

If they were intended to defuse the situation, all I can say is that they failed spectacularly in my own case.

Which was my point.

Sometimes you can diffuse a rapidly devolving situation with humor, but you run the risk of people taking it in a negative manner, and it making the situation worse. That's what happened in this case.

Really? And you played gnomish characters and enjoyed them?

If so, all I can say is, you have a different sense of humor than mine.
I was playing a gnome arcane trickster (wizard/ninja) and was DMing 2 gnomes 1 a sorcerer and one a wizard/Sorcere/prestige class that upped both. And my group loved the cartoons
'Should have been'? How negatively should they have been taken, pray? The phrase 'adding insult to injury' comes to mind.

I took it as a funny mascot for the change

So negatively in the sense of "Man you need to hire a new writer" as opposed to negatively in the sense of "You and I must now duel!"

Heh. Well, I definitely never reached the point of plotting violence! When you get down to it, passions can't rise *that* high over a game about pretending to be a gnome!

So, yes, I agree I was negative to the point of, "Hire a new writer, and a new PR team. And be nice to me again if you want my money."

D'karr

Adventurer
I was playing a gnome arcane trickster (wizard/ninja) and was DMing 2 gnomes 1 a sorcerer and one a wizard/Sorcere/prestige class that upped both. And my group loved the cartoons

I took it as a funny mascot for the change

For the first time in my campaign I saw someone start playing a gnome. So I don't think that the comedy was either insult or injury. Humor like so many things is a matter of preference. Some just take their humor too seriously.

Hussar

Legend
IME, most DMs assume that anything written in the Book is there for really good reason, without giving it much thought. 'Net forums are the only place I know where other DMs really think and talk about rules.

Yes and no though. I don't think I ever saw a pre-3e group that came close to playing D&D "by the book". House rules abounded and it was pretty much expected, at least IME, that any book I bought was going to have to be pretty heavily vetted before it saw play.

Remove ads