Level Up (A5E) Changes to Advantage

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Also how would disadvantage work? Using the climbing example with disadvantage 16. So I roll a 15 on the first die and with my Athletics it should be a success. But because I didn't roll a 16 I have to roll again and succeed again or its a failure? I feel as though that would be worse than how disadvantage works now, mood-wise. I could be wrong.
No, the opposite. IF you roll 16-20 you have to roll again and take the lower of the two dice. If you roll 15 or less you don't.

Stalker0

Legend
The only "problem" (and I put that in quotes) is it takes longer to get a result using this system. Rolling the two dice at once will always be faster than one at a time. On the flip side, I suppose getting a failure with a reprieve could add tension.

Also how would disadvantage work? Using the climbing example with disadvantage 16. So I roll a 15 on the first die and with my Athletics it should be a success. But because I didn't roll a 16 I have to roll again and succeed again or its a failure? I feel as though that would be worse than how disadvantage works now, mood-wise. I could be wrong.

that’s my issue as well. It seems innocent until your rolling 10 monsters with 2 attacks each, and suddenly that delay starts to matter

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The only "problem" (and I put that in quotes) is it takes longer to get a result using this system. Rolling the two dice at once will always be faster than one at a time. On the flip side, I suppose getting a failure with a reprieve could add tension.

Easily soved. roll both in different colors but say $color is only if neded by the other

ThatGuySteve

Explorer
Yeah, it's need to be playtested to see how that plays out. You could be right.
I think enough people play using VTTs that it's worth considering how easy it is to program in a mechanic. A lot of games have moved online and I can imagine many staying on even after lock downs have finished.

"Roll 2 keep highest" is built in on Roll20. I've no idea how to set this new mechanic up.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
"Roll 2 keep highest" is built in on Roll20. I've no idea how to set this new mechanic up.
fom a programming standpoint it does not even rise to the level of mere triviality. Trying to decide on the formatting for if something like 2d20if</>16 or whatever is the best wording for 2d20 k/d1 or whatever it is would be the best was to have the code invoked or if soe other format made more sense

ThatGuySteve

Explorer
fom a programming standpoint it does not even rise to the level of mere triviality. Trying to decide on the formatting for if something like 2d20if</>16 or whatever is the best wording for 2d20 k/d1 or whatever it is would be the best was to have the code invoked or if soe other format made more sense
From a coding standpoint, yes. If you have to work within the limits of a VTTs existing dice rolling framework, maybe not. This is assuming there isn't official support for A5E on them. Having to Google the right code to set up your game might just be another barrier to entry. Plus you'd need to pick what level of advantage you were at each time.

Obviously, manually rerolling, as you would using physical dice, is an option. I'd just personally find it frustrating.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
From a coding standpoint, yes. If you have to work within the limits of a VTTs existing dice rolling framework, maybe not. This is assuming there isn't official support for A5E on them. Having to Google the right code to set up your game might just be another barrier to entry. Plus you'd need to pick what level of advantage you were at each time.

Obviously, manually rerolling, as you would using physical dice, is an option. I'd just personally find it frustrating.

You are acting like they would not just update the how to dice reference linked all over roll20. You can't argue that people use it for d220k1/2d20d1 or whatever it is but couldn' t use it for the new thing too. Either the current advantage is subject to the same hassle you are thinking the new one would be or they are both exempt from it

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases