D&D 5E changes to wiz/ arcane trick and eldritch kn (For campaign homebrew)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I think the basic issue with spell progression is that the 1st level spells only phase, during which casters don't really have enough spell slots to use them freely, lasts until level 7, which is just too long for these subclasses to really come online. Their power level after that seems fine to me. Making them halfcasters solves this problem, but it gives them an unneeded power boost at higher levels. Personally I think the more suitable progression for them would be something like 1/3 caster advanced by 1 or 2 levels.
I think you're right. Getting level 2 spells at level 5 seems like a good deal for a half caster. But having to to wait until level 7? oooof.

Your solution has merit, but then we might run into issues with multiclassed characters and their spell slot structure...

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think the best way of doing it is to give them roughly the same spell level progression as half-casters, but with a slower progression of spell slots, ending with something like 4-3-2-2-1, restricted to wizard spells (no schools).

or a short rest progression ala warlock, starting at 1 slot up to 2 slots (at 7th level) per rest, capped at 4th spell level at 19th level.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I know this is a bit off topic but...

Isn't it strange that there are only two 1/3 casters in the entire game? And both of them are "wizard-based" but don't use a spellbook?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've always felt that they should have had a spellbook, and that they should be able to choose any wizard spell instead of being restricted to 2 schools with only a few allowed outside them. The current system does make it easy to switch up the caster stat though, like making them use charisma like a sorcerer and making the spells an innate part of them. The main reason I haven't changed them to using a spellbook is because DnDBeyond doesn't work when you make a 1/3 caster with a spellbook, it defaults to the standard spells known of the EK and AT. Could use something outside that or course, but DnDBeyond is just so handy to use.

HammerMan

Legend
I know this is a bit off topic but...

Isn't it strange that there are only two 1/3 casters in the entire game? And both of them are "wizard-based" but don't use a spellbook?
Yes, and like I said I have other buffs in mind and part of it includes a 1/2 warlock sub class for barbarian, and a Druid class that gets warlock like effects.

HammerMan

Legend
I like it, I would keep it only to wizard spells though. (are there only sorcerer only spells or is it still wiz has every sorc spell) cut out bard, warlock for sure.

Tbh the treasure of spell books/finding teachers would determine how awesome this is... also how you plan to pump wizards (who I assume already would have had the bard/warlock spell add on).

Now will this world have artificers? FOr that matter does it have sorcerers warlocks and bards?

in my latest campaigns I am allowing 2 subclasses for your first class chosen (but not others you multi into, and for warlock you have to choose 1 of the subclasses to double so 2 patrons, or 2 pacts with same not both) I think doing that but requiring the Fighter and Rogue to HAVE to take AT/EK might work better.
I never restrict any WoTC class, I just try to make some more attractive. The double subclass is something I have heard before (to make people have more options and not a major power increase) I may consider that.

My wizard gets every 5 levels (starting at 5th) a choice of an artificer infusion, or a warlock invocation (but wizard levels don't count as prereqs) and there spell books can learn ANY spell (inlcuding druid/cleric ect) but not at level up, only by teacher/scroll making them the ultimate master of all magic.

Tomb Pact Warlocks will also be able to use spell slots to cast rituals in there ritual books, and expanding high level rituals.

Joshy

Explorer
Giving them at will detect magic can be a pain.
I use a homebrew version of the Eldritch Knight that improves the bonded weapon with your eldritch knight damage dealing cantrips.

Changes:
Weapon Bond:
  • Bonded Weapon can't be disarmed against your will.
  • Once you have bonded a weapon to yourself, you can't be disarmed of that weapon unless you are incapacitated.
  • You can draw or stow your bonded weapons from up to 30ft away.
  • If it is on the same plane of existence, you can summon that weapon as a bonus action on your turn, causing it to teleport instantly to your hand.
  • You can bond with a number of weapons equal to your proficiency.
  • You can use your bonded weapon as a spellcasting focus. A bonded weapon used in this way applies any enhancement bonus it may have to your spell attacks rolls and spell save DC.
  • As part of an attack with a bonded weapon you may infuse it with a cantrip that deals damage. The bonded weapons damage type becomes that of the cantrip. If the cantrip has either a spell attack roll or a saving throw, then on hit you may apply any secondary effects.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I would be in favor of keeping the trickster at 1/3 caster, but open the spells to all wizard a bit of what @cbwjm was saying above. I like to other stuff and not just spellpower, but the limits to schools could be opened if you want a bit of expansion.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases