Changing Divine classes.

Hobbit4Hire$

Villager
Hello everyone.
I have been somewhat dissatisfied by the way "divine magic" and the divine in general are handled in various TTRPGs, including Dungeons & Dragons. I wanted to allow for the concept of faith and genuine belief, as well as different schools of thought in a world. However, I also wanted the kind of superhuman scheming and shennanigans that happen in works such as Epic poetry like The Iliad or The Ramayana or The Aeneid.

However, I wanted to avoid the whole "divine magic works on faith" sort of thing. To me, that just seems like a bit of a cop-out. "It works because you believe in it", to me, sounds a bit like "It works because God said so". It is like the "God-of-the-gaps" fallacy, but replaced with a "Belief-of-the-gaps". Worldbuilders don't know how to properly explain or conceptualize divine magic, so they just say that "belief-did-it."

For help, I have been looking into the history of the various classes in Dungeons & Dragons. According to the what I have read, the idea behind the Cleric class originated when the early players ran into a vampire that was unbeatable, so the class of "vampire hunter" was created, based on the character of Van Helsing in the Hammer Horror films played by Peter Cushing, which morphed into the "priest" class, which later became the "cleric" class. (Havard 2011; Maliszewski; Old Geezer 2006)

Looking back at the original novel Dracula, the character of Dr. Van Helsing was not really presented as a particularly "holy" figure. While he is a faithful Catholic, he is not depicted as receiving some sort of superpower that is unique to him because of his devotion. In short, he does not have "divine magic" that could be lost if he were to no longer follow the tenets of his faith.

Rather, Van Helsing is presented as a very learned man, and his various "powers" are the product of his knowledge of various techniques and tools that allow him to be effective at combatting vampires, acquired from study and lore. For example, Van Helsing uses Skeleton Keys for picking locks to break into Dracula's lairs, and he carries around a Silver crucifix (Stoker 1897, Ch. XIX) He also carries around various objects that can ward off Dracula, and seem to work regardless of the devotion of the bearer of the crucifix. (Stoker 1897, Ch. II) Van Helsing also knows that a Sacred Wafer that repels Dracula. (Stoker 1897, Ch. XXI) Also, similar to herbal medicine and botany, Van Helsing carries around Garlic to ward off the threat of the vampiric disease. (Stoker 1897, Ch. XIX)

There has been some speculation that the character of Van Helsing was inspired by Georg Andreas Helwing, a Lutheran pastor who also worked as a physician, who had a keen interest in what we would call the paranormal and supernatural, and who worked to treat disease among his congregation. (Macabre Mary 2020) Since the first "Cleric" character was a bishop, I also think of the medieval bishops that commanded armies, such as the Bishop Arn who repelled Norse raiders in Saxony in 884. (Friend 2015, 48) This makes sense, as clergy int he medieval time were often the most educated people of their time, educated at medieval cathedral schools. (Friend 2015, 91) Similar to Van Helsing's knowledge of garlic, medieval minks made wide use of herbal medicine. (Voigts 1979, 260) Medieval monks were also involved in the practice of alchemy, as well as research and innovations in metallurgy. (Booth 2017, 195)

All of this has lead me to conclude that, in both historical contexts, as well as fictional inspiration, the original "Clerics" got their various "powers" and skills not from devotion (although they certainly had that), but from extensive education, knowledge, and training.

Looking back, what is interesting is how the concept changed over time. AFAIK, the cleric today is essentially the party's healer or medic.

I was thinking of how to homebrew the Divine classes to better reflect the historic roots. I was inspired to do this because of the overall dissatisfaction with how concepts such as faith and belief were dealt with in most TTRPGs. I recognize that in most pulp fantasy and whatnot, beings called "gods" are a very obvious empirical fact.

From the start, I am treating "magic" as something akin to physics or engineering. This approach is very similar to the approach to that seen in supplements such as Thomas Wallace's The Theory of Magic. To me, this just makes sense. For example, let us take a typical fantasy setting, like Dragonlance. In that setting, dragons and wizards and wizardry are normal, typical phenomena of the world which can be intersubjectively experienced by anyone, and which can be studied, quantified, predicted, and controlled by the vast majority of people. In fact, in Dragonlance, the local experts of such phenomena would be the wizards themselves (the word "wizard" comes from "one who is wise"). The wizards would be the local equivalent of the scientific community. As such, dragons and wizards and wizardry are not paranormal, but rather normal.

(EDITED, March 3, 2024) Upon discussion with other posters, I can think of various solutions:

1) Devotional magic/techniques. These are techniques or "magics" designed to help oneself, and others, stick to a particular lifestyle or value system. This is similar to how monks, or soldiers, use various techniques to keep themselves and others to a specific code of behavior. Here, I am inspired by Poul Anderson's The High Crusade, where the aliens view the prayer of the Englishman as some kind of psycho-somatic trigger (pandabrett). They are really good at focus. Different schools of thought of course view this in different ways. Theists might say they are inspired by the divine, non-theists might say it is accessing their untapped potential, etc. The existence of "magic" would enable various techniques or technologies I was thinking that there would be 2 classes:

In terms of specific classes, instead of Bards or Clerics, there are Frontline chaplains. I was inspired by stories of real-life chaplains who fought alongside the soldiers, Soviet commissars, as well as Norse berserkers or Greek berserkers, who would get themselves and others to undergo enthousiasmos (literally "being indwelled by a god") to raise morale and improve combat performance. These would be similar to fighters, but they would be very good at boosting themselves and others. I am thinking of having passive buffs, or debuffs, or allowing buffs or debuffs as a free action. They can make fighters perform specific attacks better, or aid wizards in casting spells better, etc. They could even help themselves and others channel specific types of combat damage. This class could have various specializations. Some that come to mind:
-Apotropaic: Focuses on defense, particularly any attacks on the mind or the soul, as well as detecting and any overcoming any direct assault, or indirect trickery
-Enthusiast: Able to get oneself and others to "channel" various gods or moods (depending on one's metaphysical interpretation).

2. "Sponsored" magic. These are those that are able to channel power from an empirically observable entity. Think like the Green Lanterns granted powers from the Guardians of Oa or how modern special forces serve, and are supported by, their government. In Pathfinder, these sponsors would be mythic characters at least. Some people worship these beings as gods, others just view them as powerful but ultimately mundane beings, like the way the Athar from Planescape view the "gods" as merely "powers". For this one, I can think of only one class at the moment.

In my opinion, this would be a prestige class, called a Proxy / Champion / Vicar / Vicārius. This one I am having struggle with. This is the character that explicitly gets powers from an empirically real "god", or "mythic character", via some sort of contract. Again, think James Bond as the champion of Mi6, Harry Dresden as Winter Knight, or the way modern proxy soldiers or spec ops get access to their country's best tech in exchange for service and obedience.

My one caveat is that my putative prestige class "Proxy" would get empirical power from empirical beings. These are the kinds of "lower-case-g-gods" one typically finds in pulp fantasy, epic poetry, comic books, and TTRPG. These beings are demonstrably real, but they have real limits, and do not require any kind of faith or argumentation. Whether or not they are gods or worthy of worship is also something I wanted to leave open for characters, both in the world and outside, to decide for themselves. That is why I called such beings "Sponsors". This is meant to evoke the idea that these Proxies are supplied techniques/spells from Sponsors, sort of like how modern governments supply modern weapons to their proxies via "state sponsorship".

However, I wanted it to be tailored to each specific "domain". For example, I never understood why a god of mindless destruction, like Pathfinder's Rovagug, would want to be served by the traditionally bookish cleric. with the attendant obligations and taboos. Functionally speaking, this would mean that someone who wants to be a Proxy for a specific god would need to have a prerequisite. For example, to serve something like Rovagug, one needs to have a prerequisite class like Barbarian.

Also, each sponsor would have a code that needed to be adhered to. A God of Destruction can grant their faithful proxy access to the Domain of Destruction spells/techniques, but in exchange, the proxy must live accordance with a Code of Destruction. So, for example, if you serve the God of Destruction, you may be forbidden from living in a town, or you may be obligated to keep a specific area free of any civilization by destroying any buildings or constructions that people try to create.

3. Esoterica a.k.a. Hunting Science. This is meant to recreate characters like the above-mentioned Abraham Van helsing. This is someone who si good at collecting obscure lore, in particular vulnerabilities.

Doing some quick research, I think that Pathfinder 2nd Edition class Thaumaturge works very well.

4. The genuinely "supernatural".

Anything genuinely "supernatural" or "miraculous" occurs I would keep as largely under GM control. This is meant to be realistic. In real life many alleged supernatural or miraculous events, whether divine or demonic or other, are said to be rare and often unpredictable, even by the devout.

What do you think? I would love to hear any suggestions you might have. Thanks everone.

Works Cited (Chicago, author-date)
Booth, Christopher. 2017. "Holy Alchemists, Metallurgists, and Pharmacists: The Material Evidence for British Monastic Chemistry." Journal of Medieval Monastic Studies 6: 195-215

Friend, Nicholas Edward. 2015. “Holy Warriors and Bellicose Bishops: The Chur arriors and Bellicose Bishops: The Church and Warfare in Early Medieval Germany.” Master's Thesis. San Jose State University.

Havard. 2011. "[Characters] Bishop Carr - First D&D Cleric." Havard's Blackmoor Blog. [Characters] Bishop Carr - First D&D Cleric

Macabre Mary. 2020. "Inspiration for Van Helsing and Vampire Hunters." Puzzle Box Horror. Last updated April 15, 2020. Inspiration for Van Helsing and Vampire Hunters

Maliszewski, James. 2010. "The Original Cleric." Grognardia. Last updated July 15, 2010. The Original Cleric

Old Geezer. 2006. #27 Post to "Re: [Historical] Where did the Cleric/Mage split come from?" RPG.Net, May 23, 2006, [Necro][Historical] Where did the Cleric/Mage split come from? | Tabletop Roleplaying Open

pandabrett. 2021. "Poul Anderson’s The High Crusade." Goodman Games. Last updated March 26, 2021. Poul Anderson’s The High Crusade|Goodman Games

Stoker, Bram. 1897. Dracula. New York: Grosset & Dunlap. Online. Project Gutenburg. The Project Gutenberg eBook of Dracula, by Bram Stoker

Voigts, L. E. 1979. "Anglo-Saxon Plant Remedies and the Anglo-Saxons." Isis 70 (2): 250-268.

Wallace, Thomas. 2022. The Theory of Magic: A 5e Homebrew Sourcebook. The Gorilla of Destiny.

Last edited:

Really great ideas, but I would prefer you collapse this down into one class instead of two classes with two variants. I think this idea is most interesting when you bring them together; the Cleric is no longer a worker of miracles but instead a trained and educated warden against the dark and profane. They hunt monsters, protect us from diseases, create vulnerabilities in the supernatural, and inspire others on the battlefield. That would make a very interesting class. I would love to see your vision for this, and it has inspired me to make a 5E vision as well.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Just to warn you, my preference is to do away with classes all together. I much prefer points based systems. So all my thoughts are coloured by this attitude.

My first thought is that the divine magic/arcane magic split is dumb. I would just lump all spells together. Characters have pretty finite choices anway, they'll pick their own themes.

Your frontline chaplains sound like bards. But with maybe a broader range of aura based abilities. I'm honestly not seeing a huge difference between your chaplains and your champions. Yes, some of the powers are different, but then champions of one faith have different powers to champions of another faith. It's a small leap to chaplains and champions just being different flavours of the same game mechanics.

Speaking of which - champions (paladins, marshals, bards, call em what you will) could choose from various feats for modelling their powers. Beserk rages, holy smitings, inspirational and protective auras, warlock blasts, you name it. Pathfinder and dNd 3 have lists of domain spells and powers you can use for inspiration (cough, steal, cough) for your own lists of powers and feats.

In your post you suggest characters who are embodying some divine tenet or abiding by a supernatural contract could have limitations on their actions/behaviours/power selection. I'd give the character more powers for more, or more restrictive, limitations.

Last edited:

MacDhomnuill

Explorer
What you want sounds a lot like Harn divine magic or even Runequest Gs rune magic, limited spell list by god/cult, magic powered by points earned by doing things the god/cult wants. have to do the works of our lordess and savior the queen of murder hobos, for every senseless killing of a random NPC gain one favor. Five favor gets you a fire ball and ten gets you 3 fireballs or a meteor storm! Joking aside this is how I run divine magic in my home game, divine casters have to work for the magic, however divine is the only source of pure healing and have a lock on the most powerful magic in general. Arcane are mostly utility casters but a senior preist can knock down a small village or town with a word (assuming they are willing to burn all those hard earned points of favor).

Hobbit4Hire$

Villager
Really great ideas, but I would prefer you collapse this down into one class instead of two classes with two variants. I think this idea is most interesting when you bring them together; the Cleric is no longer a worker of miracles but instead a trained and educated warden against the dark and profane. They hunt monsters, protect us from diseases, create vulnerabilities in the supernatural, and inspire others on the battlefield. That would make a very interesting class. I would love to see your vision for this, and it has inspired me to make a 5E vision as well.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I think you might be right. I would probably collapse the two "devotional" classes into a kind of "Chaplain" class. Then, that class could have various specializations. Some that come to mind:
-Apotropaic: Focuses on defense, particularly any attacks on the mind or the soul, as well as detecting and any overcoming any direct assault, or indirect trickery
-Enthusiast: Able to get oneself and others to "channel" various gods or moods (depending on one's metaphysical interpretation).
-Exploitant: Able to research, and develop countermeasures and targeted weapons against specific enemies.

As for the "Champion" or "Proxy", I think this would make sense as a kind of Prestige Class. This, I think, would make better sense.

Hobbit4Hire$

Villager
What you want sounds a lot like Harn divine magic or even Runequest Gs rune magic, limited spell list by god/cult, magic powered by points earned by doing things the god/cult wants. have to do the works of our lordess and savior the queen of murder hobos, for every senseless killing of a random NPC gain one favor. Five favor gets you a fire ball and ten gets you 3 fireballs or a meteor storm! Joking aside this is how I run divine magic in my home game, divine casters have to work for the magic, however divine is the only source of pure healing and have a lock on the most powerful magic in general. Arcane are mostly utility casters but a senior preist can knock down a small village or town with a word (assuming they are willing to burn all those hard earned points of favor).

Right, this is a good approach. I have looked at Runequest, and my thinking is that, in Pathfinder or Dungeons & Dragons, "domains" could be the equivalent for "runes". My one caveat is that my putative prestige class "Proxy" would get empirical power from empirical beings. These are the kinds of "lower-case-g-gods" one typically finds in pulp fantasy, epic poetry, comic books, and TTRPG. These beings are demonstrably real, but they have real limits, and do not require any kind of faith or argumentation. Whether or not they are gods or worthy of worship is also something I wanted to leave open for characters, both in the world and outside, to decide for themselves. That is why I called such beings "Sponsors". This is meant to evoke the idea that these Proxies are supplied techniques/spells from Sponsors, sort of like how modern governments supply modern weapons to their proxies via "state sponsorship". These are the kind that would work similar to the Runequest cults you mentioned.

By contrast, the "Chaplain" class I was working on is meant to represent the kind of real-life chaplains found in historical as well as contemporary militaries, motivated by a genuine religion or ideology, where there is genuine faith, rather than just base power. These are the kind that would actually make sense to have on the front lines with soldiers. These are also the kind of people that hardened frontline soldiers would turn to when dealing with problems, whether it be a creature of the night, or spiritual stress.

Hobbit4Hire$

Villager
Just to warn you, my preference is to do away with classes all together. I much prefer points based systems. So all my thoughts are coloured by this attitude.

My first thought is that the divine magic/arcane magic split is dumb. I would just lump all spells together. Characters have pretty finite choices anway, they'll pick their own themes.

Your frontline chaplains sound like bards. But with maybe a broader range of aura based abilities. I'm honestly not seeing a huge difference between your chaplains and your champions. Yes, some of the powers are different, but then champions of one faith have different powers to champions of another faith. It's a small leap to chaplains and champions just being different flavours of the same game mechanics.

Speaking of which - champions (paladins, marshals, bards, call em what you will) could choose from various feats for modelling their powers. Beserk rages, holy smitings, inspirational and protective auras, warlock blasts, you name it. Pathfinder and dNd 3 have lists of domain spells and powers you can use for inspiration (cough, steal, cough) for your own lists of powers and feats.

In your post you suggest characters who are embodying some divine tenet or abiding by a supernatural contract could have limitations on their actions/behaviours/power selection. I'd give the character more powers for more, or more restrictive, limitations.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I understand the avoidance of classes all together. I am not completely opposed to the idea, as the "class" model is somewhat correspondent to my own understanding of everyday life. People do specialize in particular fields, especially as civilizations become more and more populous, and more and more complex.

Thank you for bringing up the bards. I need to look

I think you might be right about the lack of distinction between "champions" and "chaplains". I have decided to try to make the "champions" as a kind of prestige class. To be a champion of a specific "domain", you need to already be a specific class or race, depending on the sponsor or divinity in question. Take the example of Rovagug, for example. Rovagug is the God of Destruction, and is antithetical to civilization. As such, to gain access to the prestige class "Proxy of Destruction", one needs to be a Barbarian. To maintain access to the benefits of this prestige class, one needs to follow a Code, obey certain Commands, and avoid breaking certain Taboos or committing certain Sins. In the case of Rovagug, a Commandment is to burn 1 book a week, or avoiding sleeping in an artificial building, etc.

Theory of Games

Disaffected Game Warrior
Insulting other members
This is hilarious! This is what it takes now? If you create a house-rule you need to write an story about it with footnotes and sht? THIS is what people are doing :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Dude if you don't have the imagination to understand divine-casters, just use that "I'm An Atheist Cleric" class that's been around for decades lol I can't believe you added footnotes though like En World is some kind of scholarly journal. Really?

Remove ads