Changing lands

Harmon

First Post
When I was about six or so I spent part of a summer with my grandparents. They were living on fifty or so acres owned by my Grandpa’s brother. I remember the land pretty well, fairly flat, dominated by corn, and cows a little ways a way.

Just a couple years back my Grandma died and… oh, two or so years later my Grandpa marries his brother’s widow. He moves from his land to her’s (the same land I visited thirty plus years ago). Mom got married there just a month ago and so I was there for the wedding with our family.

The land was different, so different I didn’t recognize it, the corn and cows were gone, and the land dropped about twenty feet over the course of about a hundred yards. Upon returning I discovered what land it was, my brother reinforced what I knew- “it’s changed.”

Mom showed me an old picture of the land and I was stunned! The road that was three hundred yards away was flat/even all the way across, now the road was even and there was this huge dip in the middle of this field- perhaps thirty feet.

There are a lot of reasons this could be happening, and I am not really concerned, but I am curious. Where can I find out something on elevations from thirty odd years ago and compare them to todays? USGS? Some Geological society? University?

Remove ads