D&D 5E Channel Divinity: Sacred Weapon - Does the action to activate it make it weak?

Okay, so I dug down into what's bothering me about it more, by looking at every published paladin subclass so far.

Some other subclasses have situational Channel Divinity features, but every other subclass has at least one non-situational, bread and butter ability you will be using regularly in the situation of "combat". Both of the Oath of Devotion's Channel Divinity features are situational.

I also did math. Assuming you don't need the magical weapon element to overcome damage resistance (a pretty good assumption for a paladin in most campaigns starting somewhere around mid-level) it will take 4-5 rounds for the buff to pay off in damage output. Running into a fight that you can reliably predict will go 4-5 rounds 1/short rest is pretty situational in my experience.

The other situation is setting up ambushes. Again, this isn't something you can reliably assume you can pull off, especially with the Stealth Disadvantage you probably have from heavy armor, though at least if you fail to pull it off you don't blow your Channel Divinity. But while it isn't an oath violation, there is something thematically wrong about having a signature ability of the classic paladin most reliably trigger when ambushing foes.

Since it isn't a spell, you can still cast a bonus action spell when you use this. So I started looking at bonus action spells to see if there was anything that you would substantially benefit from casting on your first round. About the only one that I was seeing was compelled duel. Now, activating Sacred Weapon and casting compelled duel for your first round is pretty cool, no denying that. But it uses up a spell slot, requires committing to a certain strategy that you shouldn't have to commit to, and it's still situational.

So that's what it comes down to--they need a non-situational Channel Divinity feature to be on par with other paladins.

The obvious solution is to make Sacred Weapon a bonus action, and since (unless I'm mistaken), Oath of Devotion is generally considered the weakest PHB paladin subclass, I'll probably go with that. But I don't really like it because the paladin class in 5e is a strong class as it is and none of the subclasses need buffs, and because that makes it stronger than Oath of Enmity, which is otherwise similar.

Any obvious mistakes in that analysis? Any suggestions for better ways to fix the feature?

Some other subclasses have situational Channel Divinity features, but every other subclass has at least one non-situational, bread and butter ability you will be using regularly in the situation of "combat". Both of the Oath of Devotion's Channel Divinity features are situational.
Oath of Ancients has one blatantly situational CD feature and one that is easy for high-STR or high-DEX enemies to make a save against.

Oath of Vengeance has one situationally useful CD and one that is fantastic but only used against bosses.

Oath of the Crown has one situational CD and another that's pretty mediocre in general.

Oath of Conquest, OK, both are useful pretty often.

Oath of Redemption has two incredibly situational CDs that are moreso than Devotion on their worst day.

So, no, not every other subclass has "at least one non-situational, bread and butter ability."

The other situation is setting up ambushes. Again, this isn't something you can reliably assume you can pull off, especially with the Stealth Disadvantage you probably have from heavy armor, though at least if you fail to pull it off you don't blow your Channel Divinity. But while it isn't an oath violation, there is something thematically wrong about having a signature ability of the classic paladin most reliably trigger when ambushing foes.
As several posters above have mentioned, it's not just for ambushes. The thing lasts 10 rounds. If you're in a situation where you expect combat to happen within the minute, which is pretty often, go ahead and pop it and you'll still get use out of it.

The obvious solution is to make Sacred Weapon a bonus action, and since (unless I'm mistaken), Oath of Devotion is generally considered the weakest PHB paladin subclass
You are mistaken. Redemption is the weakest, by far. And Crown is usually considered not much better; it's saved by one Oath spell from being at the very bottom. Devotion is average or slightly above average.

(Also somewhat of a tangent, I consider Ancients somewhat overrated by many. It's good, but many overlook that the aura which halves spell damage does not work against non-spell AoEs such as dragon's breath.)

Any obvious mistakes in that analysis? Any suggestions for better ways to fix the feature?
It doesn't need to be fixed.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I find pretty damn often that I can pop off something quick before initiative is rolled, or be the one causing init to be rolled by casting a combat buff.

Tangent, how is Crown weak? It’s got the most powerful CD option of all the Oaths.

Tangent, how is Crown weak? It’s got the most powerful CD option of all the Oaths.
Which one? Turn the Tide is only slightly better than a base Mass Healing Word in the best-case scenario. And Champion Challenge still allows the enemy a lot of movement, even within 30 feet of you. Especially if said enemy can still fly out of your reach.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Which one? Turn the Tide is only slightly better than a base Mass Healing Word in the best-case scenario. And Champion Challenge still allows the enemy a lot of movement, even within 30 feet of you.

Mass Healing Word is 3rd level.

Paladins get 3rd level spells at level 9, but they don’t ever get Mass Healing Word.

It’s much stronger than any other option. Getting an improved version of an incredibly clutch third level spell that you’d never otherwise get, at level 3, is, to coin a phrase, baller extreme.

Edit: btw that’s 2 levels earlier than the Cleric gets Mass Healing Word. And it doesn’t use a spell slot and refreshes with a short rest. It’s very very strong.

It’s much stronger than any other option. Getting an improved version of an incredibly clutch third level spell that you’d never otherwise get, at level 3, is, to coin a phrase, baller extreme.

Edit: btw that’s 2 levels earlier than the Cleric gets Mass Healing Word. And it doesn’t use a spell slot and refreshes with a short rest. It’s very very strong.
"Improved" is a bit of a stretch. It only works if the targets are below half hit points. It also doesn't work if they're unconscious/KO-ed, since they also have to hear you for it to work.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
My issue with sacred weapon proposal. It pretty much becomes the beat channel divinity in the game for any paladin if you make it a bonus action.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases