Pathfinder 1E Channel Energy question

reelo

Hero
I have a question concerning a cleric's channel energy ability. The book says "...causes a burst that affects all creatures of one type (living or undead) in a 30ft radius...the amount of dmg dealt or healed is 1d6..."

Does that mean each affected creature is healed 1d6 (in the case of living) or dealt 1d6 dmg (in the case of undead) or is the amount split up or divided among the affected creatures. I am wondering, since the book says the cleric can chose not to include himself. This sentence would, imo, only make sense if the damage was split/shared.

Can anyone "enlighten" me? (Pun intended)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

reelo

Hero
In my game the cleric has to choose if he heals or hurts, he can't do both.

Asmo

This is clearly written in the rules, yes
Each use, he decides if he heals or hurts.

BUT, let's say he decides to heal his companions: Does EACH PC get 1d6 healing or are the 1d6 hp divided among all his companions caught in the AoE?

marroon69

Explorer
Here are the lines form the PRD...

First
A good cleric (or one who worships a good deity) channels positive energy and can choose to deal damage to undead creatures or to heal living creatures.

This answers the first question

Channeling energy causes a burst that affects all creatures of one type (either undead or living) in a 30-foot radius centered on the cleric.

Yes everyone is affected...

It has always seemed some what counter intuitive that you have to chose to heal people or hurt undead. Well at least to me, none of the other positive energy spells have this sort of selection. I can cast cure light wounds hold it on my hand and then make a decision to hit the undead or heal my party. I mean mass cure light wounds hits both....i guess it is suppose to be different.

reelo

Hero
It has always seemed some what counter intuitive that you have to chose to heal people or hurt undead. Well at least to me...

I'm with you there...
I always felt like fights vs undead were where clerics could really shine (pun intended)
I think a cleric suddenly bursting out a wave of good, divine energy which both heals his allies and destroys the undead at the same time sounds quite logical.

Of course, the question remains, if the undead are part of a group with other evil but living enemies, would these living enemies also get healed? I would say yes, but for the sake of simplicity, I might houserule that they don't...

Traken

First Post
Of course, the question remains, if the undead are part of a group with other evil but living enemies, would these living enemies also get healed? I would say yes, but for the sake of simplicity, I might houserule that they don't...
All living creatures are affected. If you don't want to heal enemies, you have to get the Selective Channeling feat.

Remove ads