Chaostle: have you tried it?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Sorry, I'm not familiar with it at all; it hadn't even crossed my radar until now!

Miniature Market has it on clearance for $35 (http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ch00100.html).

It doesn't seem to have set the world on fire, though it looks interesting. The main turn-off for me would be its length - the reviews indicate it seems to run long.

Cheers!

Asmor

First Post
I've heard bad things. I haven't looked into the game since it came out, so I don't remember what specifically the criticism was. There's plenty of info on the BGG page: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3627/chaostle

I do recall that I was specifically turned off by UndeadViking's review of the game. Given that the title for his review calls it a lovechild of Sorry and Talisman... Yeah. That's all I need to know to know it's not something I'm interested in exploring.

Leviatham

Explorer
I played it once. It is like Ludo, but with minis, a lot more chaotic and very, very silly.

Don't expect depth, massive gameplay or an intense experience and you'll be fine.

Play it with children and you'll have the time of your life!

sheadunne

Explorer
It plays a bit like Talisman, fun in the beginning but falls apart at the end. It drags and drags. If you like Talisman, you may enjoy it. The game I played lasted for over 4 hours and I finally just stopped playing because it wasn't going anywhere. I think they continued for another few hours after I stopped.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Talisman - by virtue of my having played hundreds of games of it in my youth - will generally take 1-2 hours when I play a 4-player game. That seems about right to me. Games that take longer (and I play a few) require a lot of interesting decisions, and I'm dubious that a roll'n'move game actually has them. Sort of the same problem Order of the Stick has... and I wager that's a more interesting game.

Cheers!

Princess Eula

First Post
This is a fun game with the right people and I dont like sorry but I never played talisman. There is dice for movement but it is combined with character's movement bonus. I like the unicorn :pand not just cause I am female but cause it is fast. I saw some good reviews but cant remember where. ars technica? Did I say that right? I requested new rules from the company that they have available and there are faster versions included. The new rules were free.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Definitely is chaotic. Everyone needs to be well versed in the errata'ed rules and each person is going to want a copy of said rules.

The game will SCREW those who try to "Learn as they play" and will let the Rules-Poozer pull off a "Whole Team Leapfrogging Spacejump from Shortcut Tower to Shortcut Tower". You'll have to be "That Guy" who has to read the rulebook on their turn not to miss any abilities to activate.

And here was a rules question that I had and was answered, by this "Mark J", though I don't know who that is / how authoritive he is.

3. Can a character attack another character that is across the player's colored boundary? We had a situation where a character was on his home starting space and another character was in his last territory heading up to the castle.
4. Can characters who have not made it to the center attack characters who are in the center?

Mark J
3. No.
4. Yes as long as it is not across their own colored line.

And I mean CHAOTIC. You can be screwed by someone else's bad luck or have the game handed to you in a single roll.

Last edited:

Princess Eula

First Post
The new rules fates are are not so chaotic. The review I read at that ars techina place said they even played without the fates. I think the fates are most of the fun but the new ones are better. I didnt know you could attack characters in the center if you are not in the center. That could be interesteing. I checked the rules and that is right. There are a lot of details to keep track of especially with all of the character abilities. but I like that, keeps the charcaters interesting.

Remove ads