• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character bonding? (Roleplaying Question)

Brasswatchman

First Post
I'm not sure whether or not this is a better fit for this forum or the D&D Rules forum. Honestly, it's a tough call either way, since the question I have is about player interactions, and not rules.

My situation is this; my campaign really got started last night. Right now, the player-characters all kind of hate each other. They've been stuck together by fate; they don't really like each other; and I'm not sure whether or not that shows any signs of changing. So here's my question: how can I encourage the characters to bond, or greater relationships between them to form?

(Incidentally, the players don't hate each other - far from it. They're just playing their characters in a realistic manner. I understand their point of view, and I don't want to force anything on them. So let's talk about it purely from the standpoint of the characters).

Raven Crowking

First Post
Give them someone or something to hate on a personal level more than they hate each other. This could be a rival adventuring group that scoops their prize, a bad guy, anything...so long as it is personal, and affects them all.

Good Luck!

RC

DamionW

First Post
I'd say in general the best method is to find a common threat/enemy. That puts the characters in a state where "Yeah, I hate you, but this a-hole over here is someone I want to kill. What? You want kill him too? Well I guess I'll put up with you for now." The degree of hatred the party has to overcome will determine the level of escalation the enemy will have to take. You can range it from a thief stealing all of their things to a kidnapping or murder of a common sponsor/friend (the friendly barkeep/blacksmith/whatever). These are some general plot hooks to use for starters, but your specific campaign will dictate how to proceed.

anton1066

First Post
As a DM i find that the best way to get a party working together and liking eachother is to put them in life threatening situations in which they have to use teamwork in order to survive. I tend to call these situations "Adventures".

Brasswatchman

First Post
Let me run an idea past you: what if I told the players I would award extra XP for developing their characters' relationships? So much for a romantic subplot, so much for a genuine friendship - what do you think?

Herzog

Adventurer
There's nothing wrong with characters hating eachother. In fact, it supplies more roleplay oppertunities then characters who tend to get along.

Although rewarding XP for 'positivie' attitudes is more friendly then just forcing them to get along, it still would sound like railroading to me, and I hate railroading.

The abovementioned options should work out fine in most campaigns, since the players must realize that if they take this hate of their characters above the needs of the group, the party will split up sooner or later and everyone would have to roll up new characters.....

Bottom line, let the characters play out their respective loathing, but provide situations in which they have to rely on eachother. Sooner or later, their characters might gain mutual respect, if not admiration. They might never become friends, but then again, is that really necessary?

Herzog.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
The characters can hate each other, but they should work together anyway. The DMGII and Heroes of Battle each provide ideas for Teamwork benefits. This encourages and awards characters working together.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads