Character Building

hornedturtle

First Post
Hello all,
I am planning to import 354b from 3.5 into 4 edition. Unfortunately I know very little about fourth edition, I have the core books but haven't hand built a character or even played a session of fourth. So my question is what class most closely matches a psion shaper? Specifically I had been planning on him picking up Repair Construct at 3rd level for self healing. Any thoughts are most welcome.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Hello all,
I am planning to import 354b from 3.5 into 4 edition. Unfortunately I know very little about fourth edition, I have the core books but haven't hand built a character or even played a session of fourth. So my question is what class most closely matches a psion shaper? Specifically I had been planning on him picking up Repair Construct at 3rd level for self healing. Any thoughts are most welcome.
Healing warforged is nowhere near as difficult as it was in 3.5. First, they have some ability to heal themselves (healing surges et al) and a built in power that gives them some hp when bloodied as well. So no need for 'repair construct' (which doesn't exist anymore)

Edit: And they heal the same as everyone else (so healing magic works just fine on them).

As for a shaper... D&D Interactive (DDI) has a preview of the psion from PH3, but its telepath only right now. So you likely don't have access and it isn't really in the spirit of shaper. The psion fits the basic "psionic" feel 354b has, but not the class.

Your other bet is to determine what role 354b best fit and wrap a class around him with a bit of different fluff. For example, if he was more of a controller that manipulated the battle field, go wizard and just pretend he's psionic. If it was more about the damage output, consider warlock (with a similar justification).

Psionics, as a whole, will be part of PH3, so reflavoring is your best bet for now.

ukingsken

First Post
I'm in agreement with Stonegod here. If you were previously a shaper, the telepath preview they have going so far isn't really what you're looking for. As for reflavoring thats up to you, maybe wizard?

Personally I'd probably pick through the 4E books and make a new character, maybe save the import for your second character at a later date when all the psion classes have been released? But thats just my own personal distaste for reflavoring a character I already to concepted to squeeze into a game with restricted sources etc. If you need any help with the rule side of things though I'd be glad to help :D

hornedturtle

First Post
I do feel a little out of my league when people are talking about sources and stuff. The only 4th edition sources I have are the three core rule books. Even with those books I don't feel like I have a strong grasp of the mechanics of it.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
This seems as good a place as any to ask another lore question. Probably better than the transition thread, at least.

Is the Blood of Vol religion an actual religion? I mean, is there any actual divinity going on there? Would a Seeker cleric or paladin make any sense? What would such characters pray to/get their power from? Themselves? The player's guide is delightfully sparse on this manner.

Also, how long ago was the Last War?

pathfinderq1

First Post
Blood of Vol is an actual religion- at least it was in 3.x, and I don't think it has changed. Where they get their power from is not specified, but they get it. Given how distant deities are in Eberron, they aren't that far off the other religions.

If we're on the standard timeline, the Last War ended give-or-take one year before campaign start with the signing of the Treaty of Thronehold.

stonegod

I do feel a little out of my league when people are talking about sources and stuff. The only 4th edition sources I have are the three core rule books. Even with those books I don't feel like I have a strong grasp of the mechanics of it.
Mastery of the system will come with practice; no worries. But with only the three core books, I think 354b is going to be hard-to-impossible to replicate exactly. Your best option is to reflavor one of the classes (warlock or wizard) as "psionic" (the fey warlock works well for this, though it adds a bunch of teleporting; the star pact warlock can work as well). Alternative, create a new character and bring in 354b later when there are options better suited to him.
Is the Blood of Vol religion an actual religion? I mean, is there any actual divinity going on there? Would a Seeker cleric or paladin make any sense? What would such characters pray to/get their power from? Themselves?
Yes, it is an actual religion. The key thing to remember is that in Eberron, no one has every met a deity. If their are deities running around, they are so distant so as to be non-existant. The only faith that has a tangible representation of their faith are the followers of the Silver Flame—the Flame itself manifests in Flamekeep—and the Elves of Arenal, whom can talk to their preserved ancestors that make up the Undying Court.

Seekers, however, take their faith internally. They believe power comes from within. Thus, they worship that idea and doctrine. A paladin of the Blood of Vol does not pray to a deity in that sense, they recite catechisms and other tenants of the Seekers, reaffirming their belief and preparing for a new day. A battle prayer would be a similar turn on these mantras, or a declaration of the enemy's misuse of their innate power.

Seekers believe the divine power does come from some innate power within themselves (thats the central tenant of their faith). Flamists believe their power comes from the Flame. The Arenal and Valenar elves believe that divine power comes from the reverence of their ancestors. Academics have no idea where divine power comes from, but they have several theories.

Key thing to note about Eberron: There are many questions. Very few have definitive answers.

Also, how long ago was the Last War?
pathfinderq1's got the right of it; the Treaty of Thronehold ended the war about 2 years ago. The Day of Mourning (the frightening arcane destruction of all of the nation of Cyre) happened four years ago; while fighting did not stop immediately, it curtailed soon afterwards.

The current year is 998 YK (years after the founding of the Kingdom of Galifar (the kingdom that existed before the Last War shattered them into five and more).

Last edited:

hornedturtle

First Post
I think I am going to shelve 354b for the time being and stash him in a room at The Tower's Shard (if that's allowed). That leaves me with the question of what kind of character to make for the near future. That does probably depend on what types of characters (read roles) are needed and would be fun to play. I was looking through my books and a doppelganger warlock looks fun.

stonegod

I think I am going to shelve 354b for the time being and stash him in a room at The Tower's Shard (if that's allowed).
The Shard has plenty of guest rooms. Just walk him into one for a while. :)
That leaves me with the question of what kind of character to make for the near future. That does probably depend on what types of characters (read roles) are needed and would be fun to play. I was looking through my books and a doppelganger warlock looks fun.
The write-up in the Eberron Player's Guide for changelings/dopplegangers is peach. +2 to Cha and the choice of +2 Int or Dex. Sweet!

Remove ads