• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Concept/Creation

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Hello there Enworld, i've been a lurker on this website and boards for quite awhile and now i thought i should post and ask for some help.

Recently my gaming group is starting a new campaign, and i'd like to play a scout/druid combo, however i'd like to start with the Scout class and work in the Druid at either 2nd lvl or later. Unfortunately my regular DM and his Fiance( who will be DMing this next round) want me to start as the druid class and add the scout. Mainly because they see it as too difficult adding the druid class ingame after the scout, than vice versa. This is causing me some consternation since mechanically and story wise i'd like to start as the scout and add the druid. If i could i'd use the old 3.0 apprentice rules(page 40) however that's been nixed. If anything i'll drop the druid side entirely, but I like the concept and prefer not to drop it. Personally I don't see the problem, since if you started with druid and add Scout, where then does he get the training for that as well.... ( we usually just use self training for lvling, and improve things we've been using ingame)
Anyways i was hoping for some feedback on this concept from outside, here is a brief background write up, the setting is Eberron, and his mentor is roughly a lvl 2 druid/lvl 3 expert.

Jacen was born in the city of Erlaskar, within the borders of the Eldeen Reaches. Born into a family who revere nature, he has a natural aptitude for natural surroundings. However, he is also somewhat of a venturesome city lover. At an early age he could find his way though either packed city streets or dense foliage strewn forests with relative ease. At the age of 15 he moved to live with his grandfather Matson d’Wynn who was the gardener for one of House Vadaliss’ vast estate gardens.

While under tutelage of Matson, Jacen learned the rituals and ancient history of the lands, including legends of the Gatekeepers. However, Jacen continued to keep his city skills on par with those taught by his grandfather, becoming an excellent tracker in both urban and natural settings. On his free time he hired himself as a guide, as well as an amateur investigator. While he continued to learn from his grandfather he put off the full training of following in his grandfathers steps of directly joining the Gatekeepers. If Jacen is to become a full initiate of the Gatekeepers he will have to either go on a pilgrimage into the depths of the Reach, or awaken his ties to the elements of Eberron and Siberys.
Being affiliated with House Vadalis kept him from wartime service with any side, and he was spared the sights and sounds of the last days of war. However, it still has not spared him the scorn of being from the Reaches, as many Aundarians believe the Reaches to still belong to their great country. He has made a few friends and contacts in ________(andys’ home city).

A year ago at the age of 83, Matson d’Wynn passed away. Shortly after his birthday, with peace having come to Khorvaire he returned to the earth of which he loved so much. He left a small inheritance to Jacen and sent the remaining savings to his son Perytas d’Wynn and Brienna d’Wynn(daughter in law, maiden Reshawn) as well as Jacen’s older sister Gloria.

Using these funds Jacen paid the entrance fee into the Wayfarers guild of Aundair, along with one of his good friends. In the last six months they have traveled and set themselves up in Sharn at theWayfarers chapter therein.

Jacen sends frequent letters to his parents and sibling recalling his current status and life within one of the grandest cities he’s ever seen.

Thanks for any help or thoughts on the matter.
Maybe i'll play a cleric instead, sigh....

Thanee

First Post
You could try to convince them, that everyone starts at 2nd level.

That's what we do. Partially because of multiclassing issues, and partially because of the higher starting hit points, which greatly enhance survivability from random hits and crits. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Li Shenron

Legend
Start as a Druid so the DM doesn't annoy anymore.

Think about yourself as a Druid/Scout since the start, and refers to yourself as such even before you have actual scout levels.

If the DM annoys you about that, remind him that there is no such things as classes and levels in a character's mind.

werk

First Post
Work it into his back story that he is training or trained to be a druid. His mentor or best friend or guardian or grandpa was a druid, but your character wasn't serious about study, he just liked to sneak around in the forest (or whatever environment) hunting and developing the skills that he saw as applicable and/or fun. He's had the training, but not the application. Start as scout, that's what you've done up to now, but that druid knowledge is in there. After your first adventure (or after you've gotten enough xp), you connect with life-death and have a religious awakening. It all becomes much more clear, and you realize the need to protect nature, and you can call on nature to help you with the struggle.

I don't see any problem letting players decide how to build their characters within DM materials guidelines. If the DM can't work around simple issues like this, at first level, I'd try to prepare to get railroaded or led-by-the-nose in a major way.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Why do you want to be a Scout class though? A Druid can actually "scout" probably better than a Scout anyway, especially when they get their wild shape ability. Unless there is a certain ability you are looking for (Skirmish)?

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Well the skill points and skills in general seem to add nicely to a follower of the Eberron Gatekeeper sect. But that's not here or there anymore. I had a discussion and in the end it came down to personal view points about the druid. Basically she only sees the druid as the holiest paladin of nature, whereas i see it as a little more flexible. So in the end i went with the below character. He loves to hunt and track, animal or humanoid, in both urban and natural settings. He has great respect for his prey, and honours them after a hunt is finished(if he killed an animal).
Anyways here he is in stat format.

Jacen d'Wynn (CR 1, HD 1d8)
Action Points Human Drd1
NG Medium Humanoid
Init +2 Spd 30
Senses Listen +4, Spot +4
AC 14 (FF 12, Touch 12)
hp 7 (Disabled 0/Dying -9/Injury 7)
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +5
Atk +1 base melee, +2 base ranged; Grapple +1;
+1 Melee (Shortspear 1d6+1/crit 20/x2)
+1 Melee (Dagger 1d4+1/crit 19-20/x2)
+2 Ranged (Shortspear 1d6+1/crit 20/x2)
-2 Ranged (Shortbow 1d6/crit 20/x3)
-3 Melee (Sword, short 1d6+1/crit 19-20/x2)
SQ: Action Points Dice Rolled 1, Action Points 5
Druid Features: Secret Language: Druidic, Animal Companion, Wild Empathy (1+Cha.Mod), Spells, Nature Sense;
Misc Notes: Standing at only 5 foot 2 inches tall, Jacen is easy to overlook or nearly equate to being a dwarf. In addition to being fairly short, he's still fairly skinny,
weighing in at only 141 pounds, and has had several illnesses over the years, nothing out of the ordinary, just regular childhood problems that his father and grandfather
would create a natural antidote and admisnister it to young Jacen. Of course it always tasted horrible, but it always worked. His hair is black as a raven's feather, and his
penetranting eyes are a cool forest green. His skin is a constant tanned, from is love of the outdoors, and working under the sun.
Abilities: STR 12, DEX 14, CON 9, INT 12, WIS 16, CHA 17
Feats: Armor Proficiency: light, Armor Proficiency: medium, Shield Proficiency, Track, Urban Tracking.
Skills: Appraise +2, Diplomacy +5, Gather Information +4, Handle Animal +5, Intimidate +4, Knowledge (History) +2, Knowledge (Nature) +4, Listen +4, Profession
(Gardener) +4, Profession (Guide) +5, Ride +3, Spot +4, Survival +9, Swim +2.
Druid Spells Prepared (3/2): 0- Flare, Know Direction, Light ; 1-Obscuring Mist, Pass without Trace.
Weapons: Arrows (20); Dagger; Shortbow; Shortspear; Sword, short. Armor: Leather. (Spell Failure 10%). Goods: Backpack; Bell; Caltrops; Chalk, 1 piece; Coin: gp
(25); Coin: sp (2); Explorer`s outfit; Flask; Flint and steel; Holly and mistletoe; Holy symbol, wooden; Identification papers, with portrait; Pouch, belt; Signal whistle;
Signet ring; Traveling papers; Whetstone.

Thanee

First Post
Well, a single class druid isn't too bad. ;)

For nice skills, you could also pick up Able Learner [Races of Destiny] at 1st level and get a somewhat higher score for Int.

Bye
Thanee

Bront

The man with the probe
CAFRedblade said:
Well the skill points and skills in general seem to add nicely to a follower of the Eberron Gatekeeper sect. But that's not here or there anymore. I had a discussion and in the end it came down to personal view points about the druid. Basically she only sees the druid as the holiest paladin of nature, whereas i see it as a little more flexible. So in the end i went with the below character.
This realy sounds like a recipe for disaster. The GMs have railroaded your concept a bit, and now have disagreements about how they see the class?

I have not seen any liturature that discusses the current druid as the Paladin of Nature. Older editions that was more true when they had to be Neutral, but now, they are much more flexable, and in Eberron, they are actualy quite not paladinish (One sect wants to destroy the world, which seems very anti-paladinish).

If he/she continues to view it like this, it could cause problems when you actualy sit down to game, as you'll be trying to play one way, and end up having to play the other. Hopefully things will loosen up. Just try to talk to them about the concept of your character and personality. Eventualy you can find one that will fit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads