D&D 5E Character for new campaign

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
A few additional observations.

Bards through level 5 only get the most rudimentary healing spells.
Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Lesser Restoration. The Glamor Bard helps as it's an amazing source of temp hp.

Clerics get a lot more.
Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Lesser Restoration, Aid, Prayer of Healing, Mass Healing Word, Revivify, Remove Curse.

The more I think about it the more I think that a good healer is more than someone who can supply hp and temp hp in battle. Therefore, even though I think bards are great and very competitive in the in combat hp/temp hp department I am going to go Cleric.

I am choosing life cleric over Order Cleric. I'm going to go with the skilled option as there are already 2 party members I know of that chose the equipment background and so only have 2 proficient skills each.

FrogReaver

Level 1 Protector Aasmir Life Cleric
14 Str
8 Dex
13 Con
10 Int
16 Wis
14 Cha

Leaning toward going for 14 con and 15 str at either level 4 or 8 ASI increase to open up Plate Armor with no detriments.

I'm still working out the skills, initial spell selection and personality - will add more to it later.

FrogReaver

Starting Spells Prepared
Bless
Cure Wounds
Healing Word
Detect Magic
Detect Poison and Disease
Purify Food and Drink

Cantrips
Light
Guidance
Toll the Dead
Mending

FrogReaver

So I thought I'd share how the campaign kicked off.

We were all Aasmir on our dying world. We left in mass through a "stargate" type device powered by some of our most powerful people sacrificing themselves. We learned that it was possible that the world died because some of our peoples greatest champions had killed our gods and declared themselves gods but no one could say for sure why this was happening.

Side note: this means I worship either a dead god or possibly the god of life has found a way to resurrect himself. That's my character arc at the moment. For my personality I add lots of anecdotal stories about what the people we meet and situations we find ourselves in remind me of. I try to spin a bit of humor in these stories but not always and try to keep them fairly short.

Back to the story. We found ourselves on a forested world near a lake with some very primitive dwarves. We spotted them on our first quest where we were foraging for food. We got "attacked" by a small boar in the night. It was killed and then big momma boar came and attacked us. The party were fighting it and I grappled it so it couldn't run away. It gored me down to 0, but by our rules that still allowed me to act so I kept the leg held and dodged. It hit me and I failed the first death save. I kept it's leg held and continued to dodge. It then broke free and ran away but the opportunity attacks downed it. After the fight I cast cure wounds on myself and went back to max hp. No one else was injured that fight. The boar's corpse then brought a bear to our camp. The wizard put it to sleep and we dispatched it with ease.

Remove ads