• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Character for new campaign

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Coast Druid gets Mirror Image and Misty Step for more survivability at 3rd. Also Absorb Elements at 1st. With Studded, Shield and a 16 in Dex that's a very healthy AC of 17.

Drop in a Concentration buff of Faerie Fire or Entangle at 1st and a healing spirit 2nd level spell and you have a lot covered.

Now add in the nice versatility of Scouting/movement wild shapes and the ol' Spike growth thorn whip pull, thunderwave push cheese grater and you have a fun build right at levels 1, 2 and 3.

Also: Healing word/Goodberry/Healing Spirit/Lesser Restoration

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Coast Druid gets Mirror Image and Misty Step for more survivability at 3rd. Also Absorb Elements at 1st. With Studded, Shield and a 16 in Dex that's a very healthy AC of 17.

Nice perks, but;
Keep in mind, with standard array (the mandated stat gen) and aasimar (mandated race), 16 Dex on a Druid is out of reach.

Drop in a Concentration buff of Faerie Fire or Entangle at 1st and a healing spirit 2nd level spell and you have a lot covered.

Healing spirit has been heavily erratad: going from 10d6 healing per person to 4d6-6d6 (depending on stat) healing total.

Now add in the nice versatility of Scouting/movement wild shapes and the ol' Spike growth thorn whip pull, thunderwave push cheese grater and you have a fun build right at levels 1, 2 and 3.

Also: Healing word/Goodberry/Healing Spirit/Lesser Restoration

Druid IS always a very solid choice.

My whole theory on caster combat (level 5+) is to be able to cast 1 big buff concentration spell at the start of a high difficulty combat. Warlocks can do that well. But at that point they have 1 spellslot left for in combat healing. That doesn't feel adaquate to me for the character playstyle I'm going for.

Warlocks in general make one heck of a dip though. They also aren't bad as 1 Big Combat Spell + EB in subsequent rounds type character.

Hexblades are okay too.
Celestial also have that long rest based pool of healing they can apply as a bonus action at range.

What sort of rest pattern are you expecting from your DM? Averaging the 6-8 encounters with 2 short rests? Or a much shorter working day?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Celestial also have that long rest based pool of healing they can apply as a bonus action at range.

What sort of rest pattern are you expecting from your DM? Averaging the 6-8 encounters with 2 short rests? Or a much shorter working day?

much shorter. 1-3 encounters per day. Likely a short rest between each

Mort

Legend
Supporter
much shorter. 1-3 encounters per day. Likely a short rest between each

Wow,

That might actually make me consider a warlock - though the small amount of spells known is still an issue.

Though, have you considered forge cleric? Benefits are pretty nice - and you can essentially take your gear boon option AND spells or skills (not quite as good, but the magic weapon it armor art first level is a pretty nice benefit!)

FrogReaver

Wow,

That might actually make me consider a warlock - though the small amount of spells known is still an issue.

If I wasn't going to focus on healing I might consider a Warlock. I just don't think they make particularly good healers.

Though, have you considered forge cleric? Benefits are pretty nice - and you can essentially take your gear boon option AND spells or skills (not quite as good, but the magic weapon it armor art first level is a pretty nice benefit!)

I like Forge Clerics overall. For that matter I like most clerics overall. Forge Clerics make a great Spirit Guardians Chassey. That said, the added defense only marginally benefits a ranged character that wants to heal.

FrogReaver

Clerics I'm considering,
Life, Order, Light

Life - Most Healing overall (Also nearly every spell on the enhanced spell list is one I want with this character)
Order - Minimum tradeoff of offense while in-combat healing
Light - Fireball makes a strong opener (the channel divinity also eventually can be used to help allies)

For Druid, there's really only a single contender for me
Shepherd Druid

Shepherd - Gives a short rest recharge temp hp buff at level 2. Also, buffing summoned creatures at level 6 makes the summoning spells considerably better. Speaking of summoning spells - they are some of the most damaging spells in the game especially for the level you can first cast them.

Bards, I'm primarily looking at,
Lore
Glamour

Lore - I love the new ways it allows inspiration dice to be used. Magical Secrets is great as well. More skills are always welcome!
Glamour - tons of temp hp for the party.

Also Bards in general get access to Hypnotic Pattern which is one of the best spells in the game IMO.

FrogReaver

So I'm eliminating Shepherd Druid from contention. I like them a lot and want to play one but it's not the character I have in mind for this game.

I'm also eliminating Light Cleric. Amazing Cleric overall but not ideal as a primary healer.

I'm also eliminating Lore Bard as I think that Glamour makes a much better Healer style Bard (i equate temp hp with healing)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
So I'm down to:
Glamour Bard
Order Cleric
Life Cleric

Any thoughts or preferences on these 3?

Since you're interested in healing, what about life cleric with access to druid spells (as your bonus)?

With disciple of life and goodberry you pack 40hp of healing into 1 1st level spell.

Remove ads