• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Character for new campaign

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
How about an Aasimar Lore Bard Luchidor? You could go in for something starry and cosmic for your spangled tights and play the theme to 2001 on a set of parlor pipes as your entrance music.

lol. Personally if I'm making a grappler I like doing it with strong tanky characters more. I've played a grabby barbarian/rogue before. It was quite fun.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Any thoughts on Divine Soul X / Order Cleric 1?
Not a huge fan, personally. It spreads out your stats a bit, and I think Voice of Authority is a little overrated. You can build around it, though, and the diversity of spells at low levels is helpful.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Do you like it better than a life cleric dip for Divine Soul?
Better? IDK. I think it sounds like a lot more fun than Life's You're better heal bot now, have a cookie ability, as useful as it might be. Heal Bot isn't by a long shot my favorite template though. Some people love it, and that's cool, but it's not my thing.

FrogReaver

I'd probably go Divine Soul Sorcerer out of those options, although Bard is tempting as well. I tend to feel like Bard really comes into its own in Tier 2, though, and can be a bit of a slog if you're starting at 1. (Bard really wants that short rest refresh on Bardic Inspiration, combined with Cutting Words and Magical Secrets at 6).

I mostly agree with that assessment on bards. Levels 1 and 2 are kind of rough, though sleep is super effective at those levels. Level 3 the bard starts coming into his own - but it's really level 5+ that makes them "sing" (I made a pun!)

I like Scourge Aasimar for this, 15 Con goes to 16, and 14 Cha also goes to 16. You've got a floating 13 if there's a MC option that interests you (Paladin, Fighter, Warlock, Cleric all have good reasons to dip if you want to grab some armor class).

Yea, I like scourge too.

If you can use that equipment feature to grab something that boosts AC, I'd do it.

I'm actually leaning toward the skill background. Otherwise I'll have just 2 proficient skills. With it I'll have 5 and 2 with expertise. The equipment option is really good for melee characters. Essentially +2 Damage, +1 AC and an improved shield.

If not, I'd probably grab Bard from the super Magic Initiate background, get Vicious Mockery, and mostly Bless-bot the fighter and monk at low levels and use Vicious Mockery on tougher enemies, and stand up allies who drop. Faerie Fire as your 1st level Magic Initiate spell is a nice backup concentration spell to maintain if needed.

Your idea about vicious mockery is pretty solid. Definitely considering that. I'm not a fan of faerie fire if I have bless though, so I'd pick something else.

FrogReaver

Not a huge fan, personally. It spreads out your stats a bit, and I think Voice of Authority is a little overrated. You can build around it, though, and the diversity of spells at low levels is helpful.

So you would be recommending straight divine soul or some other multiclass dip?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I stand by Lore Bard even more now

With Fighter (hopefully Melee) and Monk amongst the front lines, spells like Bane, Faerie Fire, Dissonant Whispers and Healing Word are gonna be very useful in combo with VM and other trickster happiness. Druids are also awesome.

Whatever you choose, hope you have fun. Let us know.

FrogReaver

I stand by Lore Bard even more now

With Fighter (hopefully Melee) and Monk amongst the front lines, spells like Bane, Faerie Fire, Dissonant Whispers and Healing Word are gonna be very useful in combo with VM and other trickster happiness. Druids are also awesome.

Whatever you choose, hope you have fun. Let us know.

The Fighter is Melee.

Mechanically I think Bards are great. Makes it a tough decision.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
You appear to be moving to support in some form Cleric/Druid/Bard

Support is great. I personally find it more interesting in combat than damage dealing.

Just depends on what else you think might be fun.

Druids - good environmental control.
Bards - good enabling/debuffing.
Clerics - good radiant/necrotic blasting & more healing than is probably necessary.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Your idea about vicious mockery is pretty solid. Definitely considering that. I'm not a fan of faerie fire if I have bless though, so I'd pick something else.
Fair. I was mostly thinking about it from the level 1-2 perspective, where your spell slots are limited enough that having a backup concentration spell for the 2nd or 3rd encounter in a day can be a big deal. Once you hit level 3, and your spell slots double from 3 to 6, it isn't as big a deal anymore.

So you would be recommending straight divine soul or some other multiclass dip?
Well, I feel slightly dirty recommending the most obvious dip (the one that rhymes with "Sex maid"). Otherwise, I'd probably go straight DS Sorcerer and grab Mage Armor when you get a little higher and can afford the 1st level slot.

Remove ads