D&D 5E Character for new campaign

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yeah, Paladin does seem like a good fit. A cleric might be even better in terms of casting coverage though. The nice thing about cleric is that there are a ton of domains, so there's a lot of room for concept. A slightly insane Tempest Cleric would be a lot of fun to roleplay and there's some cool synergy there with the Asimar concept.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Well that leaves you short on healing - do you like clerics? Otherwise Paladin still a decent option.

I think you are right that I should do a type of healer and I think that's something I will enjoy playing as I often focus on tank/DPR roles. To me that means Bard, Cleric, Druid or Divine Soul Sorcerer or possibly some multiclass combination of these.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I think you are right that I should do a type of healer and I think that's something I will enjoy playing as I often focus on tank/DPR roles. To me that means Bard, Cleric, Druid or Divine Soul Sorcerer or possibly some multiclass combination of these.

Cleric has a pretty broad amount of options since domains add quite a bit of customization.

I like bards a lot and the player in my group is really loving his college of swords bard.

An Aasimar druid - could be an interesting take, nature loving but from a planar perspective?

I haven't been a fan of the divine soul sorcerer. Sure they have access to the cleric spell list -but their selection is just so limited in terms of number: sorcerers get barely enough spells as it is, adding more spells to choose from doesn't help! Maybe you could convince your DM that the bonus spells from the background feature go onto your spells known?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
How about an Aasimar Lore Bard Luchidor? You could go in for something starry and cosmic for your spangled tights and play the theme to 2001 on a set of parlor pipes as your entrance music.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'd probably go Divine Soul Sorcerer out of those options, although Bard is tempting as well. I tend to feel like Bard really comes into its own in Tier 2, though, and can be a bit of a slog if you're starting at 1. (Bard really wants that short rest refresh on Bardic Inspiration, combined with Cutting Words and Magical Secrets at 6).

I like Scourge Aasimar for this, 15 Con goes to 16, and 14 Cha also goes to 16. You've got a floating 13 if there's a MC option that interests you (Paladin, Fighter, Warlock, Cleric all have good reasons to dip if you want to grab some armor class). If you can use that equipment feature to grab something that boosts AC, I'd do it. If not, I'd probably grab Bard from the super Magic Initiate background, get Vicious Mockery, and mostly Bless-bot the fighter and monk at low levels and use Vicious Mockery on tougher enemies, and stand up allies who drop. Faerie Fire as your 1st level Magic Initiate spell is a nice backup concentration spell to maintain if needed.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Cleric has a pretty broad amount of options since domains add quite a bit of customization.

Agreed

I like bards a lot and the player in my group is really loving his college of swords bard.

I like Bard's in general. I think if I was going that route for this character it would be glamour or lore.

An Aasimar druid - could be an interesting take, nature loving but from a planar perspective?

I'd considered a shepherd druid. Start out as a healer. At level 5 start dropping packs of wolves and then healing allies as needed.

I haven't been a fan of the divine soul sorcerer. Sure they have access to the cleric spell list -but their selection is just so limited in terms of number: sorcerers get barely enough spells as it is, adding more spells to choose from doesn't help! Maybe you could convince your DM that the bonus spells from the background feature go onto your spells known?

IMO - Divine soul works great if you play it more like a healer with a few sorcerer spells. It doesn't work so well as the do everything character.

Also, doing a 1 level dip into bard or warlock or even cleric (for non stat based spells) gives the divine soul alot more spells.

Remove ads