• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Generator

Ranger REG

Explorer
Twin Rose said:

Ranger REG, for example, apparently feels uncompelled to TRY anything non-wotc. If I, on the other hand, see a product that seems to be designed around something I need in my game - I'll get it. Even saving me, say, 10 hours of my own design time is hugely important to me - my time is worth more than a couple of bucks an hour.
Just for the record, the above is an example. I DO buy third-party d20- and OGL-labeled products, mainly prints. :D

Twin Rose

First Post
Ranger REG said:

Just for the record, the above is an example. I DO buy third-party d20- and OGL-labeled products, mainly prints. :D

Of course, and it is in fact labelled as such - just an example. Of course, be interesting to see if people have a 'different view' of CS now that it's "in print".

Twin Rose

First Post
Ranger REG said:

Have to see my FLGS if they have it on their store shelves.

It was shipped to most distributers (Alliance, ABC, etc) last friday and was 5 day shipping - so many have no doubt already picked it up and it'll be reaching more and more soon. To keep the thread on topic, I hope that more people seeing it on shelves, more people creating custom databases and sharing them, and more presence will help me become 'they' as well.

Mynex

First Post
Well I hope it goes well for you guys Chris, I think it's a good deal that you're in 'hardcopy'.

Oh, I've got a 'supersoaker' allllll lined up for you at GenCon. *evilgrin*

It'll be nice to get those quick 'side shots' on ya. :p

Maybe I'll bring a giant nerf gun as well... see if I can 'snipe' ya from across the aisle way. :p

Twin Rose

First Post
Mynex said:
Well I hope it goes well for you guys Chris, I think it's a good deal that you're in 'hardcopy'.

Oh, I've got a 'supersoaker' allllll lined up for you at GenCon. *evilgrin*

It'll be nice to get those quick 'side shots' on ya. :p

Maybe I'll bring a giant nerf gun as well... see if I can 'snipe' ya from across the aisle way. :p

Thanks! I hope it goes really well - the better I do, the sooner I can complete my XML driven data engine and get CS2 rolling. Of course, the XML engine will be portable between programs. (Hint hint).

And don't worry, I'll have plenty of my own ammunition as well. Super soakers don't just need to be filled with water. Though it'll probably be best if we don't use anything that will short-circuit our computers, don't you think?

I'm thinking silly-string...

(For those curious, GenCon placed our booths DIRECTLY across from eachother).

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
Companies with a history of quality, good support, and friendly service are the ones that climb up the ladder,

In a perfect world, but reality seems to be different. E:Tools has tons of problems, plenty of bad press, loads of dissatisfied users yet it outsold your superior product (I'm guessing?) by a wide, wide margin (judging by the message boards).

Sure, personal preference enters into the equation to some degree but it doesn't seem to me that most people are buying E:Tools because it's a quality product but rather because it was put out by "them". That's sad. And it's a mindset that seems very, very difficult to change. Wizards/Fluid did almost everything they could to kill that product yet it continues to flourish dispite their best efforts. Brand loyalty in action I guess.

Yeah, D20 was supposed to make all of us "them" to some degree but as Mynex points out, that didn't really happen.

My point? I have no idea. Just a Friday morning ramble I guess.

Chaz

First Post
Twin Rose said:

I'm thinking silly-string...

(For those curious, GenCon placed our booths DIRECTLY across from eachother).

OMG now I realy do have to get there somehow. :D

*Dusts off hitch hiking thumb*

Seriously now, no major battles please. Think of the poor bystanders. ;)

Twin Rose

First Post
Chaz said:

OMG now I realy do have to get there somehow. :D

*Dusts off hitch hiking thumb*

Seriously now, no major battles please. Think of the poor bystanders. ;)

Ah, but we are! Every person dusting off his Electronic Thumb and grabbing his towel is just one more potential customer! Every whoopy cushion, every gout of silly-string, everything that can be hurled that is not harmful to the electronics both companies will be using for demos just gives those hitchhikers what they came for.

But of course, mostly it's just for fun, as it's much easier to perpetuate a 'rivalry' than have people dare to think we might actually cooperate.

How easy it is to get back on target! "They" by definition is becomming WOTC, and through Code Monkey, etools... So Code Monkey becomes They. Of course, TRS tries to work with COde Monkey (see discussion of XML database, above) and Code Monkey with TRS - so as the CS customer base grows and demand increases, TRS becomes "They" too. The question is, of course, getting the CUSTOMERS to realize that, but that's another story altogether.

Davin

First Post
Twin Rose said:
Super soakers don't just need to be filled with water. Though it'll probably be best if we don't use anything that will short-circuit our computers, don't you think?
How about 3M's "Fluorinert" non-conductive liquid?

Remove ads