• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Sheet Contest Finalists

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I appreciate it. I did submit. I just didn't get in to the final ten. This doesn't mean I won't continue to refine my sheet. I'm already finding small bits of inspiration from the finalists.

FWIW, I really like *your* presentation of abilities and skills: simple, intuitive, and elegant.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Oh wow, not a fan of most of these, and I particularly dislike Brian Morgen's. Yes, the icons aren't a bad idea at all, but the very top-left thing (the first thing on the sheet) is "Weapon Attacks"? I just really dislike how it's organized, and the big circle in the middle is an interesting idea, but it really throws the feel of the sheet off, to me.

My favorite, for sure, is Steven Grindeland's character sheet. I'd ease up on the black blocks, but otherwise it looks the best, to me. Simple, fairly intuitive. Good things in a character sheet. Of course, I'm not going to vote, because I don't like to interact with things on Facebook outside of people I know, but that's my take on things.

[MENTION=61749]Jeff Carlsen[/MENTION], I have no idea how Christine Miller's sheet beat you. I can see the variety they're going for with the others, but that one just isn't as good as the sheet you made.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
@Jeff Carlsen , I have no idea how Christine Miller's sheet beat you. I can see the variety they're going for with the others, but that one just isn't as good as the sheet you made.

My sheet got lost in the shuffle somewhere, is seems. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I was assured that, if this goes well, they would like to have additional character sheet contests. I think that's a fantastic idea, because it lets each contest inform the next batch of entries.

S

Sunseeker

I wish there was a way to reduce the need for lines on a sheet. Even the sheets that get creative with the first page, seem to just present the second as a great big lined piece of paper.

I also notice there's no Basic/Standard/Advanced breakdown between sheets. So, is it official that WOTC is leaving that breakdown behind? Or are they going to redo the winner's sheet into simpler versions? Because all of them look about as complex as they ever have.

darjr

I crit!
I wish there was a way to reduce the need for lines on a sheet. Even the sheets that get creative with the first page, seem to just present the second as a great big lined piece of paper.

Interesting. How would you replace them? A blank section with no writing guidance or grey and white bars? I agree that the lines do not look good.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I'm with most of the posters here: most of these sheets are not very good. The only one that makes me excited is Brian Morgen's sheet, and that's mostly due to the fact that it's graphically interesting.

I am disappointed that we didn't see any artistic designs. I expected a lot of graphic design options, but where are the sheets like this: http://arcona.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/charsheet1finalbwfemalehuman.jpg ? There wasn't even anything close to that style.

The other big complaint is that the files posted are way too small to see any detail. for a real evaluation, I'd want to see the actual PDFs so I can bring them up big, maybe even print them. It's hard to get a sense of the sheet from a small image.

Overall, I'm disappointed.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I'm with most of the posters here: most of these sheets are not very good. The only one that makes me excited is Brian Morgen's sheet, and that's mostly due to the fact that it's graphically interesting.

I am disappointed that we didn't see any artistic designs. I expected a lot of graphic design options, but where are the sheets like this: http://arcona.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/charsheet1finalbwfemalehuman.jpg ? There wasn't even anything close to that style.

The other big complaint is that the files posted are way too small to see any detail. for a real evaluation, I'd want to see the actual PDFs so I can bring them up big, maybe even print them. It's hard to get a sense of the sheet from a small image.

Overall, I'm disappointed.

Same here, especially about the artistic designs...

kodus to every one who pitched a Character Sheet but non of it hit my taste, I'll stick to A4 graph paper.

Warder

Sage Genesis

First Post
Brian Morgens' sheet looks nice in a "radial xbox menu" kind of way, it reminds me of Mass Effect a lot. It's just somewhat of a shame that it has info like hair color take up a prominent place in the center. It's not really something I'd look up often. I also dislike the skill section - that could be replaced entirely with a "Background" section so you can write down your skills and traits instead of ticking off from a pre-set list (which takes up too much space and has no space for traits). The sheet looks nice but in terms of being functional, specifically for D&D Next, it's not all that good.

delericho

Legend
Those all remind me of the PDF forms that we use as our 3e character sheet of choice. And not in a good way.

As a fan of 3e, I would like to apologise for this. It seems that one of the unfortunate legacies of that edition is that character sheets are now as appealing as spreadsheets, but without the same utility.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads