• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charge attack -Ranged??-

Tarangil

First Post
:confused: Hey there. I was needing to ask a couple of questions, one of which I'm sure has been asked before:

1) Is it possible to hurl a hand held projectile (spear/club, etc) as part of a charge attack??

2) Second of which, if the first question is correct and that it can be done... If the person hurling the spear as a ranged charge attack, and was wearing rino hide. The SRD doesn't state that it's a melee attack that the bonus damage is added to, just says charge attack.

So assuming that You can get to use a ranged hand held weapon for a charge attack, would the rino hide help with additional damage???

I'm stumped.

Infiniti2000

First Post
hafrogman said:
Nail is correct.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Kidding, Nail! :p

Seriously, though, I seem to recall a feat that allows a ranged attack at the end of a charge. Maybe it's just a thrown ranged attack though (not a projectile weapon). If so, then technically the rhino hide would work with the ranged attack. Not sure if that works thematically, though, or even balance-wise (being able to use a ranged attack at the end of a charge pretty much negates any of the penalties of charging--i.e. putting yourself in harm's way with the AC penalty).

irdeggman

First Post
Nope can't do it.

SRD:

Attacking on a Charge: After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll. and take a –2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.

A charging character gets a +2 bonus on the Strength check made to bull rush an opponent (see Bull Rush, above).

Even if you have extra attacks, such as from having a high enough base attack bonus or from using multiple weapons, you only get to make one attack during a charge.

Nail

First Post
Well what do you know:

Minitures Handbook, p.27

Hurling Charge
You are trained in using thrown weapons as part of a charge attack.
Prerequistes: Quickdraw, BAB +6....

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Infiniti2000 said:
Not sure if that works thematically, though, or even balance-wise (being able to use a ranged attack at the end of a charge pretty much negates any of the penalties of charging--i.e. putting yourself in harm's way with the AC penalty).

You're not really negating the penalty since it still applies. That penalty could make you more vulnerable to return fire or a return charge (if within charging distance) from your target. By using a tactic like this, you're merely using a feat to change the way the charging advantages and disadvantages come into play and that seems like fair game for a feat.

That said, I don't think I'd allow the rhino hide bonus on a ranged attack even if the character had a feat that allowed using a ranged attack at the end of a charge. I agree that it doesn't seem thematically correct

Last edited:

Remove ads