Chariots of Fire - The beach scene

hennebeck

First Post
Ok, first, I want to apologize if the title is a little too old for some of you.
Look it up.

Second, if someone is slowed, "Movement is reduced to 2 squares".
If someone runs or charges they move their "movement +2"

If a slowed Moderator ran, would it move 2 + 2?

pinbot

First Post
hennebeck said:
Ok, first, I want to apologize if the title is a little too old for some of you.
Look it up.

Second, if someone is slowed, "Movement is reduced to 2 squares".
If someone runs or charges they move their "movement +2"

If a slowed Moderator ran, would it move 2 + 2?

That sounds right to me. You can't literally run (well I envision slow as a sedation/torpor effect, not a slo-mo camera) but you can still throw caution to the wind and move as fast as possible (here, that being, not very fast at all) thus granting combat advantage to your enemies.

Charge seems even more questionable, and if allowed one could question whether it should still get a bonus. But I think all sides are arguable, so the 4e approach would probably be to go simple meaning no extra consequences beyond those deliniated, so yeah charge 2+2 and get usual charge effects.

Incenjucar

Legend
Envision slow as having all your muscles in a very lethargic state.

It's not that you can't move, it's that it takes a much larger amount of energy to move, so you can only pump out so much of it at once.

So basically Slow is like running after having run around for a few hours. You can do it but you're not going to sprint like you were fresh and stretched.

Vendark

First Post
Per the rules as written, yes, you can run when slowed. I'm not sure if you're supposed to be able to, though; the "Slowed" condition does say you can't increase your speed above 2. Running doesn't, as written, increase your speed, it just lets you move 2 more than your speed.

Whether that's an oversight, or an intentional distinction, I'm not sure.

TheLordWinter

First Post
Based on what's in the PrRC (which is updated from Keep on the Shadowfell, I believe) you can charge your speed as a standard action (in this case, 2). The PrRC then states: "You must move at least 2 squares from your starting position, and you must charge to the nearest unoccupied square from which you can attack the enemy."

So it seems it can work as a tiny little dash, but it could be difficult.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Since the KotS states:

Slowed
Your speed becomes 2. This speed applies to all your movement modes, but it does not apply to teleportation or to a pull, push or slide. You can't increase your speed above 2 and your speed doesn't increase if it was lower than 2. If you are slowed while moving, stop moving if you have already moved 2 or more squares

I don't think you can get any benefit from attempting 'run' while slowed. If you are slowed your move is reduced to 2 squares no matter what, and you can't do anything to increase that.

This seems the most straigtforward reading, especially since they seem to be going to some lengths to be as comprehensive as possible. I don't think that there is any point attempting to differentiate between 'speed' and 'move'. Especially considering the last sentence.

Keep it simple could be the 4e mantra, and we know the specific trumps the general.

Last edited:

coyote6

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:
Since the KotS states:

Slowed
Your speed becomes 2. This speed applies to all your movement modes, but it doesn't not apply to teleportation or to a pull, push or slide.

I hope that's your typo & not KotS's. ;)

hennebeck

First Post
But Run says "your speed +2".

So your speed is 2 (from slow) +2 (from run).
That's the rules as written.

Unless you decide the order is: compute run speed first, 6+2=8.
And then figure slow which reduces it to 2.

My ruling, for myself, would be the 2+2. That's a movement of only 4 that provokes OA.

Now, if I wanted to make a house rule, which I tend not to, I might rule run is halved to +1. For a total of 3.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
hennebeck said:
That's the rules as written.

Don't give me that rubbish.

3e rules discussions were blighted by people trotting out that lame excuse and don't want it to start blighting things here too.

If you think a point is debatable, argue the case for the way you would rule it, but don't try to trump the argument by trotting out the old argument, since it is merely your reading of the rules.

I'm serious.

Remove ads