• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cheater Dice? Why?

Chris Knapp

First Post
So, I received my monthly email from rpgshop and prominently displayed are a set of cheaters d20's. They have no 1 and 2 20's. I first thought, "cute." But then I started thinking, what possible use could these have and how likely are some of the more unscrupulous types to use these when I game at my FLGS each month?

[mini-rant]
Its bad enough that you can't expect a fair online game (of any kind) these days, but at least I never worried about this kind of thing with face to face D&D.
[/mini-rant]

Anyone else feel the same?

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
I've seen cheat dice sets at the local game store...almost accidentally bought a set because they looked cool, then saw the label. :eek:

I generally consider them a gag gift. I've never encountered anyone that would actually seriously use them.

Darkwolf71

First Post
I don't know. I have a set of dice that are like that. 2 20s, 2 10s, 2 6s. I also have a set of 3 loaded d6s. They are heavily weighted to roll 6s. I bought them as a novelty and have never used them in an actual game. I did roll up characters with the loaded dice a few time, just for fun. 18, 18, 18, 18, 17, 15. Something like that. I would say you are over reacting, but I bet there are, in fact, folks out there who would actually use these types of dice in a game.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I've seen cheat dice sets at the local game store...almost accidentally bought a set because they looked cool, then saw the label. :eek:

I generally consider them a gag gift. I've never encountered anyone that would actually seriously use them.

I actually find the D20 quite useful. I bought my 'Cheaters' set at GenCon '05. When I ran my Sliders D20 Modern Game in my face-to-face group I got a lot of use out these. More often than not I needed a result from 2-20, and the die came in very handy.

Some SciFi games would benefit from GameMasters owning a set of these.

DragonBelow

Adventurer
I actually find the D20 quite useful. I bought my 'Cheaters' set at GenCon '05. When I ran my Sliders D20 Modern Game in my face-to-face group I got a lot of use out these. More often than not I needed a result from 2-20, and the die came in very handy.

Some SciFi games would benefit from GameMasters owning a set of these.

I hope you are kidding, ever thought of rolling 2d10? it would give you the results you want without skewing the odds.

Dragon Snack

First Post
We had a player use loaded d6's on us once. They rolled funny though (and they were different from all his other dice), so we knew something was up the first time he "rolled" them. Sure, they're supposed to be "gag gifts", but there's always someone...

I found those 'barrel' d20's pretty annoying too. Hard to read, so it was easy for you to say you rolled something other than what you did. Same thing could be said of those overly busy Q Workshop dice.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
[mini-rant]
Its bad enough that you can't expect a fair online game (of any kind) these days, but at least I never worried about this kind of thing with face to face D&D.
[/mini-rant]

I've used AIM chat, a MUD, and now Klooge for all my online play. All three either have all dice rolling out in the open for all to see, or show the DM everything. So, IME, it's actually harder to cheat online. It IS easier to cheat with the math, if there aren't sheets readily viewable by all for the character. That's why I set up a page for my online games for people ot keep their sheets, making reviews easy enough.

Now, if you mean cheating as in "no way in hell is that program anywhere close to perfectly random," I'd agree. Far too many times the number generator program used result in continuous strings of very high or low results. Or worse, a certain person will continuously get poor or high rolls. Last session, one of the players had that kind of rut. Imagine a full BAB class missing 4 rounds in a row! Eventually I took pity and allowed a reroll. He rolled badly AGAIN. Then I just rolled the die, got a 15, and said "take that." Felt so bad for him. :)

Obryn

Hero
Of course, I don't have a problem with any given product existing...

But I hate it when players cheat with their dice... Really, really hate it. It's like cheating at solitaire, or using God Mode on an FPS. It might be briefly satisfying, but at that point, why bother?

-O

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Had one guy use loaded D6s in a game once. But he only wanted to see how long it would take us to tumble to it. Not long. After much hilarity they were put away. (You can do that sort of thing when playing with friends.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads