• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Check out my Immovable Rod!

gordonknox

First Post
Well, you know what I mean.

For the first time in my DnD career a character of mine found an immovable Rod. At first thought, I saw it as something of a fair amount of uses as outlined in the DMG.

But, what other cool useful thing can be dome with it? Any suggestions?

I thought of this – I can fly! If I need to I can fall, or jump off a cliff and use the rod to catch myself before hitting the ground. I was thinking I could whip it out during the fall, place it under my armpit and then activate it before hitting the ground. I admit it may do damage or rip my arm off, but it’s a start.

Has anyone else come up with any unique uses?

GK

Henry

Autoexreginated
I gotta say this - any item that can patently break the classical rules of physics is FANTASTIC!!!

Immovable Rod uses:
  • ladder (uses 2 rods)
  • doorstop
  • parachute (requires a lot of patience)
  • murder weapon (hold it in front of someone's face moving at a high rate of speed and turn it on)
  • Spider-man-like acrobatic maneuvers (I personally think a DM should allow an equipment bonus to people using the Tumble skill with an immovable rod)
  • Impromptu chair
  • Impromptu support for a table (requires two rods and a wooden board)
  • Winning bets ("I'll bet you 10,000 gold pieces I can balance this rod perfectly on top of that dart board hanging from yon wall."
  • performing the Heimlich maneuver on oneself without need for a chair
The possibilities are endless!

And don't get me started on portable holes and decanters of endless water. Give me one of each of these items, and I will rule the earth in 11 months, 7 months tops... :)

Last edited:

The pick up line

Not only can one use the immovable rod for all the things Henry has suggested, but one can certainly use it with some humor!
-"Is that an immovable rod in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"
LOL :D

Schmoe

Adventurer
I'm bummed. I gave my party an Immovable Rod nearly 4 months ago (real time), and they still haven't used it a single time. I'm not even sure they remember that they have it!

It is really confusing, considering the party is about 5th level and probably has less than standard DMG wealth. For some reason, whenever I give magic items to my group, they just sort of fall into a black hole and are never seen from again. The party's sorcerer had a wand of sleep for three entire levels before he remembered to use it.

Hmm, come to think of it, he's the same guy who is carrying the Immovable Rod...

Gospog

First Post
Place the immovable rod at neck height in a doorway.

Cast invisibility on it.

Get a monster to chase you through the doorway.

(Note: works best when monster has neck.)

BButler

First Post
One of the characters in my goup had an immovable rod. we were figting a dire shark, and he was swallowed. As the shark was speeding through the water to attack the rest of the party, he activated the immovable rod. WHAMMO--end of the shark.

Not that I'm recommending being swallowed by a shark . . .

Grendel

First Post
Brachnation (sp) - from masters of the wild.
you no longer need trees or vines, you are basically able to fly (requires two hands however).

Wizards, put one infront of you, should probide 10% cover bonus, and therefore prevent any attacks of oppertunity (from the front).

Trap, used to suspend great weights above a doorway.

Remove ads