Spelljammer Check Out These Spelljammer Ships!

WotC has shared some of the upcoming Spelljammer ship designs in a video with Chris Perkins.

WotC has shared some of the upcoming Spelljammer ship designs in a video with Chris Perkins.

137BA576-70A3-46F8-8315-7ED440E37211.jpeg
3C568CD4-A099-41CA-9E76-03D50B925F3F.jpeg
A3895162-B9D7-435B-9C8C-85818B73073A.jpeg
4577B88B-A351-4417-9C1C-59A47D9E9C4E.jpeg
E270E7AE-A9EE-4829-97FE-500DD4CEB806.jpeg
2CE60D63-6BE3-40F6-89CE-FFF3D43F60DE.jpeg
1E831242-09A1-4BEB-868D-0FD995911223.jpeg

Reynard

Legend
There were quite a few more setting changes to Ravenloft than that, but this has been discussed.
Sure, but not having different kinds of ships would be akin to.not having different domains. That's how fundamental those things are to the setting. I just don't know why folks would think it was even a possibility other than they saw a single piece of art and did what gamers on the internet do...

Blacksad

Explorer
Sure, but not having different kinds of ships would be akin to.not having different domains. That's how fundamental those things are to the setting. I just don't know why folks would think it was even a possibility other than they saw a single piece of art and did what gamers on the internet do...
Simply because the mix between the Astral Sea and Spelljammer is from 4E, and the fun ships were absent from 4E (except perhaps the nautiloïd in some adventure), so they did not have high hopes of seeing the fun ships back

In 4E the ships of various domains were variations on a galleon theme (evil galleon, orc galleon, etc.)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Simply because the mix between the Astral Sea and Spelljammer is from 4E, and the fun ships were absent from 4E (except perhaps the nautiloïd in some adventure), so they did not have high hopes of seeing the fun ships back

In 4E the ships of various domains were variations on a galleon theme (evil galleon, orc galleon, etc.)
The early art for this new Spelljammer did focus heavily on the galleon. I'm sure I'm missing something though. I never saw the minis everyone 's talking about.

Jharet

Explorer
I've always been very puzzled by Spelljammer. I remember when it came out the first time. I had nothing against it but decided it wasn't for me. I tend to prefer a more "traditional fantasy" setting for D&D. If I wanted to play in space with space ships, I'd play Star Wars or Star Trek or something along those lines. I'm curious if there is indeed a HUGE following for Spelljammer and if so, what do they like about it?
We like that it's high fantasy in space, not sci-fi in space. They're very different flavors. I consider Spelljammer and Starfinder to be the opposite ends of that spectrum, if that makes sense.

Mercador

Adventurer
We like that it's high fantasy in space, not sci-fi in space. They're very different flavors. I consider Spelljammer and Starfinder to be the opposite ends of that spectrum, if that makes sense.
Even Starfinder, it's quite "magical" at times. Transhuman space or Cyberpunk would be the end of the spectrum from my point of view.

Remove ads

Remove ads