Check Out Wayne Reynolds' Pathfinder Bestiary 2 Artwork!

Artist Wayne Reynolds has posted his gorgeous cover art for the upcoming Pathfinder 2E Bestiary!

Artist Wayne Reynolds has posted his gorgeous cover art for the upcoming Pathfinder 2E Bestiary!

reynolds.jpg

I think that ALL art in the core book 2 is going to be WAR. Like goblins it has been decided that is brand recognition, I guess, so it's going in

MaskedGuy

Explorer
I do like WAR's art, but I prefer it in smaller doses. His work is typically dramatic and evocative, which I like. But it is a bit cartoonish (just a bit) and over the top at times. I do wish they would give someone else a shot at Bestiary cover.

Anyway, Kobolds. If they are making a Kobold for each type of dragon, i'm a little disappointed that aren't doing more to differentiate them than just make them a different color. These guys are pretty interesting looking, but I think I prefer that they have there own color scheme and not burrow from dragons that explicitly.

Just to note that Kobolds have been multicolored after chromatic dragons since 1e, though there isn't a kobold type for each dragon color, they just have multiple colors in same tribe.

There is also that sometimes they have rare colors like gold, pink or purple, two of which aren't really based on any dragon types.

dave2008

Legend
Just to note that Kobolds have been multicolored after chromatic dragons since 1e, though there isn't a kobold type for each dragon color, they just have multiple colors in same tribe.

There is also that sometimes they have rare colors like gold, pink or purple, two of which aren't really based on any dragon types.

Interesting. Before 4e I typically only bought the core books and in the 1e MM they are described like this:
"The hide of kobolds runs from very dark rusty brown to a rusty black. The have no hair. Their eyes are reddish and their small horns are tan to white."

Notice they are not even described as being scaled. So I don't know when that and their color changed, but it was part of their 1e MM!

oreofox

Explorer
Interesting. Before 4e I typically only bought the core books and in the 1e MM they are described like this:
"The hide of kobolds runs from very dark rusty brown to a rusty black. The have no hair. Their eyes are reddish and their small horns are tan to white."

Notice they are not even described as being scaled. So I don't know when that and their color changed, but it was part of their 1e MM!

I believe by him saying 1e, he was possibly speaking of Pathfinder 1e, which they were indeed colored like the chromatic dragons.Though their appearance was more like the 3e D&D kobolds but colored like dragons.

dave2008

Legend
I believe by him saying 1e, he was possibly speaking of Pathfinder 1e, which they were indeed colored like the chromatic dragons.Though their appearance was more like the 3e D&D kobolds but colored like dragons.

OK, that makes sense - thank you for the clarification!

MaskedGuy

Explorer
No problem. Of course, I could be completely wrong!

I can confirm I meant Pathfinder's first edition yeah, I kinda didn't realize it could be mistaken for D&D's 1e since context of post was that color change isn't new in pathfinder's 2e ^_^; I should have been clearer since it is confusing when talking about D&D based system and both now have multiple editions...

And in the 2nd edition MM they have this description:

"Kobolds are a cowardly, sadistic race of short humanoids that vigorously contest the human and demihuman races for living space and food. They especially dislike gnomes and attack them on sight. Barely clearing 3 feet in height, kobolds have scaly hides that range from dark, rusty brown to a rusty black. They smell of damp dogs and stagnant water. Their eyes glow like a bright red spark and they have two small horns ranging from tan to white. Because of the kobolds’ fondness for wearing raggedy garb of red and orange, their non-prehensile rat-like tails, and their language (which sounds like small dogs yapping), these fell creatures are often not taken seriously. This is often a fatal mistake, for what they lack in size and strength they make up in ferocity and tenacity.
Kobolds speak their own language; some (75%) speak orc and goblin."

They get scales in this description, but still far from being draconic. 2E introduced Urds (well, these might be from some other book in 1E first that I don't know about) described as this:
"Urds are distant relatives of kobolds. Three feet tall, with short ivory horns, their bodies are frail and covered with mottled yellow to brick red scales. Their leathery, batlike wings span 8 feet."

I do not recall seeing any direct association with kobolds to dragons until 3rd edition, although for some reason I am thinking 2E's Dragon Mountain module might have had this element in it.

EDIT: just saw the other posts LOL

Remove ads

Remove ads