Cheesy In-game things that make you want to scream.

Kristivas

First Post
I was thinking about this the other day, and figure I'd post to see what cheese you've been exposed to in-game. What are some of the lamest, cheesiest, annoying, maddening things you've experienced?

One of mine is:
The Load-Bearing Boss - You've entered a grand hall to confront the BBEG. Around this lair lies the treasure and remains of it's victims. An epic battle ensues and, upon the creature's death, the lair begins to crumble. It's falling apart quickly! No time to get more than 1 or 2 pieces of treasure. Sure you could stay and loot, but then you'd be crushed by tons of rock. For some reason, the weight of the entire dungeon was being held on the back of the BBEG.

Incredibly arbitrary, highly strung authority figures who have nothing better to do but throw PCs in jail for, well, anything, leading to some ham-fisted, obligatory jail break "adventure" just because the DM was too lazy to come up with anything else, or doesn't use modules.

SiderisAnon

First Post
Humor - Cheesy In-game things that make you want to scream.

Modules where random farmers are carrying hundreds of gold in gems each for no apparent reason.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Kristivas said:
One of mine is:
The Load-Bearing Boss - You've entered a grand hall to confront the BBEG. Around this lair lies the treasure and remains of it's victims. An epic battle ensues and, upon the creature's death, the lair begins to crumble. It's falling apart quickly! No time to get more than 1 or 2 pieces of treasure. Sure you could stay and loot, but then you'd be crushed by tons of rock. For some reason, the weight of the entire dungeon was being held on the back of the BBEG.
To be fair, Robert E. Howard did this more than once, although he usually made it seem somewhat plausible (the undead emperor of an ancient empire is finally slain, so his palace collapses around his ears, etc.). He didn't have the equivalent of an orc chieftain's hut collapse when its owner died.

I'll be doing this in an upcoming game, in fact, so I've been thinking about this issue a bit. ;)

Psion

Adventurer
One language per race.

Riddles and puzzles that depend on English word and sentence structure, despite the fact most such games clearly do not take place in modern English speaking countries.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Psion said:
Riddles and puzzles that depend on English word and sentence structure, despite the fact most such games clearly do not take place in modern English speaking countries.
Which language are the players speaking?

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Psion said:
One language per race.

Corrolary: Epic poems, songs, and stanzas created by non-human races that inexplicably rhyme when translated from their own language into English.

Remove ads