D&D General Chevar: Champions of The Ninth Realm! - Goth DnD Meets Aetherpunk Meets 80's Cartoon Sci-Fantasy (+)

Jerry Cornelius and Ketty Jay i've never even heard of! I'll check them out!
I really enjoyed the Ketty Jay novels. They are basically Serenity/Han Solo Adventures with an aetherpunk reskin. Also the Revenger novels by Alister Reynolds, but they are more hard SF under the space pirate paint job.

As for Jerry Cornelius:
R.197d204ab4b6ffec2fbbf3c0ba93a0ae

Yes, they did meet Doctor Who!

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
Titansgrave! I loved the actual play they did, with Hank Green playing a lizard guy IIRC!
There is more of a '80s Heavy Metal and science-fantasy vibe with Titansgrave. It's less "goth" or "punk" in some ways, but there is definitely overlap between Titansgrave's science-fantasy and aetherpunk.

Numenara has some aesthetics I'm down for, but the vibe of "fantasy but really sci-fi because the magic is actually hyper-advanced tech" puts me off it a bit.
But it's basically just magic masquerading as highly advanced technology. Either way, I would mine it for inspiration. IMHO, the art alone is fantastic for your purposes.

I would have suggested Final Fantasy (nearly anything) since it's pretty strong in the aetherpunk sphere of things.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I really enjoyed the Ketty Jay novels. They are basically Serenity/Han Solo Adventures with an aetherpunk reskin. Also the Revenger novels by Alister Reynolds, but they are more hard SF under the space pirate paint job.
Yeah that sounds right up my alley.
As for Jerry Cornelius:
R.197d204ab4b6ffec2fbbf3c0ba93a0ae

Yes, they did meet Doctor Who!
😮
There is more of a '80s Heavy Metal and science-fantasy vibe with Titansgrave. It's less "goth" or "punk" in some ways, but there is definitely overlap between Titansgrave's science-fantasy and aetherpunk.
Oh yeah for sure.
But it's basically just magic masquerading as highly advanced technology. Either way, I would mine it for inspiration. IMHO, the art alone is fantastic for your purposes.
The art for sure is great.
I would have suggested Final Fantasy (nearly anything) since it's pretty strong in the aetherpunk sphere of things.
Final fantasy 9 especially is a big influence here, but certainly others like 7 and vague memories of older ones (which one had Cecil the Dragoon Night and which one had the mechs and the “m-m-m-magic!” moment? No idea, but they live in my head and inform my world building! 😂), and bits of 10.

Flash Gordon (1980).
Dude yeah. Absolutely.

Rogerd1

Adventurer
@Paul Farquhar I remember the old Chris Wooding Weaver series, with the warp stone masks that drove users insane. I loved them. Glad he has done other books I can pick up.

Blackstorm Realms is a Spelljammer with the serial numbers filed off, it is on DTRPG atm, I think.

Not sure if these are your cup of tea or not?

@Paul Farquhar I remember the old Chris Wooding Weaver series, with the warp stone masks that drove users insane. I loved them. Glad he has done other books I can pick up.
Funny thing, I've never really been able to get on with Wooding's more conventional fantasy, it's only the Ketty Jay stories I've enjoyed.

Remove ads