Chicago Gameday 31 is 3/17: SIGN UP TO PLAY!

hujraadjohaansen

First Post
No Way Im Backing Out!

Hey Buzz-

No worries about attendance...I am not bugging out....wouldn't be macho! Der Spot is down with whatever happens...and I have a friend dropping by who wanted to play Arnold Schwarzennnegger as well!!!!

At GenCon, I run events of 12 and ALWAYS let dropins play with a genereic ticket...the more the merrier..as long as they are ready to get crazy...and stay in genre...or at least within the decided upon MPAA rating :)

LETS ROLL SOME D20s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CRITS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hujraadjohaansen

First Post
HIBRiD: The Only Game rule you really need...

While there are only currently 2 players scheduled for the HiBRiD game, I wanted to take a minute and share the primary game mechanic unique to HiBRiD. HiBRiD is basically a d20 + mod system.The only extra mechanic that you need to understand is that of Ite'.Each character gets a pool of Ite' points that can be used as follows (as taken from my HiBRiD_Theory blog, where you can find all sorts of tidbits about the game):

Option One: Cut Scene Healing
Ite' can be used to heal a character. In any scene a character is reduced to 0 points of STUN, you may spend a point of Ite' to bring his STUN up to full next round, when the "camera" is back on the character.

Option Two: Reach Into The Magician's Hat

Ite' can be used to pull an unforseen object from seemingly nowhere, so long as it is plausible, fits the genre of the game, and can be explained quickly and extemporaneously by the player. e.g. "...darn it, the bad guys are coming...oh, look, a point of Ite' says that some guy left his car here on the street running while he went in to get his wallet...". Of course, the level of power and unlikeliness of the object can be increased by spending additional points of Ite' by all the members at the table...

Option Three: Kick It Up or Down A Notch

For each point of Ite' he spends, a player can increase the level of success of a task roll.of any task he attempts, or he can affect the task roll of an opponent that would affect him by one. e.g if an opponent hits the character with Crit Success, the player can "Kick it down a notch" from instant gruesome death to standard damage, or convert a task roll from a Success to a Crit Success. (Critical successes equate to instant death/dismemberment in the system.)

Option Four: Make It Happen

Each point of Ite' can be used to have a specific unlikely event occur. While a point of Ite' can't directly be used to affect an occurrence or event the director describes, it can be used create an event that might interfere or interact with the event the director describes. e.g. "Yes, I realize that the crazed zombie cable guy is about to run me down in his work truck and pin me against the alley wall, but this point Ite' says that a garbage truck just happened to pull out from the alleyway and slide right between me and his pickup truck...".

Whew...well, hopefully you all get the idea...and an inkling of what makes a HiBRiD game a HiBRiD game...

Gozerean

First Post
Please sign myself and buddy Brandon up for HiBRiD in the morning slot and, if having no experience or prior knowledge is not an issue, The Laundry RPG in the afternoon.

hujraadjohaansen

First Post
Hey Gozerean:

No experience is not an issue at all. I designed it to play as fast as possible.

I like to call it "cinematic old school gaming". Take basic DnD from 1974, rip out anything that slows down or dulls the action, and let it rip.

The game is designed to be understood by the end of one action scene (usually 3-5 rounds in d20 terms). The first action scene is designed specifically to introduce new folks to the system..and I am talking new folks to GAMING, not just to HiBRiD.

Glad you are taking the chance. We won't let you down....

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Took some pics during last night's run-through of the Surcoat game scenario -

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...lbums/5720182380177830481/5720182444167846578

2012-03-14_Surcoat_06.JPG

Last edited:

Remove ads