• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Children of the Gods, 4e adventure in Mythic Greece

nerdronomicon

First Post
One of the guys I play with requested I actually run one of the ideas I told him about a while ago, a short arc with potential for a longer campaign taking place in mythic Greece. The way I want to run it is to create a set of "races", sets of stats for children of each of the various gods.

He and I discussed and and he convinced me that it would actually be easier to offer some options for characters, then come up with stats for individual characters, than it would be to try to create a dozen or so balanced races for a system neither of us have actually played in yet.

I still plan to come up with stats for the various divine children of the Greek deities, but I want to run this sooner than doing that would allow, so I put together a list of all of the classes and their build options, picked gods to go with them, selected a gender, and started writing up bios for the pregenerated pcs.

This is what I have so far. Feel free to make suggestions for bios for the ones I haven't written up yet. I'll post the complete list when I have it, and the actual characters and their stats when the players have chosen which ones they want to play.

Cleric Battle Cleric Apollo M Hero
Fighter Great Weapon Fighter Ares F Kallisto

One day Demeter's rest in the gardens of Mount Olympus was disturbed by an argument between Ares and Apollo, both claiming they could father a more powerful son. The two gods descended to the lands of men in search of a woman to father their sons, both looking amongst the children of their most devoted followers. Apollo seduced one of his priestesses, who bore him a son named Hero. Hero grew up to be a brave warrior and devoted priest of Apollo. Ares raped the daughter of a merciless warrior who honored Ares with the blood of his enemies. Demeter, goddess of fertility, punished Ares for his cruelty and hubris, by seeing to it that this union was fruitful, and that it produced a daughter. Kallisto is a fierce warrior who shows her divine heritage with her strength and battlfield prowess. Ares remains unmoved and refuses to acknowledge her as his own.

Cleric Devoted Cleric Hephaestus F Melaina
Disgusted with her oafish husband and taking pity on the mortal woman Irina who praid daily to her for the love of a husband and children, Aphrodite cast her image on the ugly mortal and tricked her faithful husband Hephaestus to lay with her. Melaina is the product of this union. She is as ugly as her father, and also as talented, as kind hearted, and as faithful.

Fighter Guardian Fighter Zeus M Cleisthenes
Agapios, king of Actium, held a tournament to choose the suitor of his beloved daughter Callia. Zeus watched the tournament from his throne on Olympus and became enthralled with the beautiful Callia. Taking the form of a mortal, he entered the tournament and won the hand of Callia. Callia became pregnant and bore a son, Cleisthenes, who grew up stong and beautiful. Of course Zeus soon lost interest in Callia. He turned into a dove and flew away, never to be seen by Callia or her son again.

Paladin Avenging Paladin Poseidon M Erasmus
Eutychos, king of Dyme, and his wife Gaiana could not have children. They praid to the gods for a son. Poseidon answered their prayers by giving them Erasmus, his son by the sea nymph Corinna. They raised Erasmus as their own son. He is the heir to the throne of the city of Dyme, and a powerful warrior imbued with the divine power of Poseidon.

Paladin Protecting Paladin Athena F Nikephoros
Dion, warrior of Hierapolis, was rewarded by his king with a choice, marriage to one of his two daughters: Zoe the beautiful or Xanthe the wise. He chose Xanthe. Athena, pleased by his choice, blessed their union. Their first child was Nikephoros, divine champion of Athena.

Ranger Archer Ranger Artemis F Photine
Lysandra was a brave warrior and huntress, and faithful worshiper of Artemis. As strong as she was, she was unable to survive the pains of childbirth. Artemis claimed her daughter Photine as her godchild. She imbued the infant with a portion of her divine essence, and watched over her as she grew into adulthood. Photine is an archer and huntress, a mortal reflection of the goddess herself.

Ranger Two Blade Ranger Pan M Pankratios
One day while gathering wild herbs in the forest, the maiden Phile became lost. Night fell and she still could not find her way home. Pan seduced the maiden, and laid with her in the forest. He then played his pipes and danced, leading her to the path home. After some time she bore his son, Pankratios. He is a wild warrior, preferring to fight with his bare hands over any weapon.

Rogue Trickster Rogue Hermes M Panther
While running about the Earth delivering a message for Zeus, Hermes witnessed a thief captured on the streets of Athens. Taken by her beauty, he followed her invisibly as she was taken to prison to await her trial. When they were finally alone he showed himself, offering her freedom in return for her company. She accepted, and bore Panther the clever, son of Hermes.

Rogue Brawny Rogue Hades M Theocritus

Warlock Deceptive Warlock Pan M Georgios

Warlock Scourge Warlock Hades F Zosime

Warlord Inspiring Warlord Zeus M Archelaus

Warlord Tactical Warlord Athena F Sophia

Wizard Control Wizard Aphrodite F Eudocia

Wizard War Wizard Hermes F Ligeia

cross-posted to my enworld blog

Last edited:

So, a couple of questions:

Will the Players just be picking and then statting out characters from this list? If so it seems like there would be other ways to organize this. Maybe just have a list of gods with kids and class? Then the choice of build is up to the player, if any build is chosen at all.

What's the rest of the world look like? A Robert Grave's style Bronze Age looks pretty tempting as a DnD setting seed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads