Children of the Mud


log in or register to remove this ad

sunshadow21

Explorer
[sblock=those talking to the priests]As you approach the temple district the next morning, it's impossible to miss a kerfluffle near the district entrance. There is an agitated crowd gathered around one of the smaller shrines with a Whitecloak trying to calm down both the priests and the crowd at the same, with very little success with either group.[/sblock]

[sblock=The Whitecloaks]You enter the office in the morning to find what you suspect to be the typical line of those seeking the aid of the Whitecloaks for various matters, from petty to genuinely serious. After about a half hour wait of listening to the numerous grievances and crimes being reported, often quite emphatically, it's your turn. As you approach the front desk, the corporal on duty looks at you wearily, "State your name and business, and please be short. In case you haven't noticed, there's a bit of a line."[/sblock]
 

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem the Cook with the Whitecloaks

Lem whispers to his companions, "Don't worry. I've got this." He flashes them a wink before turning around.

Lem starts off with a big grin, a plate of warm cinnamon rolls in front of him, "Oh, we'll only by a couple of minutes. These rolls were steaming when we first got here, but your line is really, really long and they've cooled off a bit. Which really makes me sad, because there is nothing quite like hot pastries on a cool morning. I find that the sugars used are equally important as the flour chosen for the baking, especially when they sit outside the oven for awhile. Now, I am quite unsure of the quality of your provisions given to you, so I really thought this would be quite the treat. I am sure that people probably bother you all the time for your help, without ever taking the effort to show appreciation, and I know a little appreciation goes a long way. It's probably because your job involves the application of violence, and people aren't comfortable about the possibility of getting their faces pummeled when you guys are around.

Oh, and I almost forgot. We are investigating the Children of the Mud and their potentially dangerous hijinks, so I was wondering if you could name drop some known associates of theirs along with where we can find them in case my mates and I have to go above the law and take part in vigilante justice."
Lem raises his plate of rolls higher as his optimistic grin grows wider.

Diplomacy
[roll0]
 



mfloyd3

Explorer
As you approach the temple district the next morning, it's impossible to miss a kerfluffle near the district entrance. There is an agitated crowd gathered around one of the smaller shrines with a Whitecloak trying to calm down both the priests and the crowd at the same, with very little success with either group.

Larissa looks with dismay at the argument, thinking it likely a distraction from her task. But the tenets of her faith require her to offer aid and advice to those in need. She makes her way over to the cluster to find out the nature of the disturbance.

[sblock=ooc]
SS21, FYI, I have updated Larissa's spell list.

As far as who is doing what, perhaps kinem should be with Lem? Then we've got a caster with each group, for what that's worth.
[/sblock]




[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)
HP: 93 Current: 93
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Fort: +11 Reflex: +3 Will: +10 (currently wearing Cloak of Protection)
PER Roll: +3
Move: 30’ (w/boots of Striding & Springing)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+2 Greatsword Attack: +14/+9 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2)]
Damage: 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]
Damage: 2d6+14, Crit: 19-20/x2,




Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (5+1) Level 02 (4+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Shatter
* Read Magic * Protection from Evil * Resist Energy
* Light * Detect Evil * Grace
* Guidance * Obscuring Mist * Zone of Truth
* *unassigned * D: Spiritual Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith


Level 03 (4+1) Level 04 (2+1)

* Speak with Dead * Summon Monster IV
* Remove Curse * Divination
* D: Holy Smite
* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light
* D: Heroism



Channeling at current level: Channel 4d6,
DC 18 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for
Undead to Save.





[/sblock]
 

kinem

Adventurer
the Whitecloaks

Lem whispers to his companions, "Don't worry. I've got this." He flashes them a wink before turning around.

Lem starts off with a big grin, a plate of warm cinnamon rolls in front of him, "Oh, we'll only by a couple of minutes. These rolls were steaming when we first got here, but your line is really, really long and they've cooled off a bit. Which really makes me sad, because there is nothing quite like hot pastries on a cool morning. I find that the sugars used are equally important as the flour chosen for the baking, especially when they sit outside the oven for awhile. Now, I am quite unsure of the quality of your provisions given to you, so I really thought this would be quite the treat. I am sure that people probably bother you all the time for your help, without ever taking the effort to show appreciation, and I know a little appreciation goes a long way. It's probably because your job involves the application of violence, and people aren't comfortable about the possibility of getting their faces pummeled when you guys are around.

Oh, and I almost forgot. We are investigating the Children of the Mud and their potentially dangerous hijinks, so I was wondering if you could name drop some known associates of theirs along with where we can find them in case my mates and I have to go above the law and take part in vigilante justice."
Lem raises his plate of rolls higher as his optimistic grin grows wider.

Menik follows Lem, not entirely surprised at the developments.

"Officers, forgive my friend if he seems overly enthusiastic about helping with this case. You see, the Children of the Mud have messed with his brain somehow, sending him telepathic messages and whatnot. I am Menik; we've been asked by Captain Rossi to help with this investigation. Any leads you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Has there been a surge in missing person reports?

What my friend was getting as is that as private citizens we may be able to speak candidly with certain people who may fear arrest if they speak to the guards, such as certain necromancers for example."


ooc: diplomacy [roll0]
 
Last edited:

sunshadow21

Explorer
[sblock=Temple]It quickly becomes clear that the crowd is wanting to give offerings to some smaller deity of the region on a holy day, but the priest is not letting them in. For the priest's part, he's trying to convince the bored guard that the temple has been vandalized and an investigation needs to be launched immediately, as the deity is would take unkindly to the guard disregarding such a heinous act, on the most important day of the year for that deity no less; the guard is unimpressed, and looks like he simply wants to find the nearest tavern.[/sblock]

[sblock=Whitecloaks]The corporal briefly looks like he wants to throw Lem out, but between the food and Menik's intervention, he simply takes the plate with a grunt, "I'll see what I can find out." He disappears through a door, with the plate, and a few minutes later reemerges, minus the plate, with a note. "Seems this cook fella has been asking similar questions. Maybe he found something useful." With that, he returns to his disk and the seemingly endless line. On the note is an address for an older neighborhood on the edge of town.[/sblock]
 

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]



Weylyn follows along with Lem and Menik, standing in line with the other two and doing his dead level best to keep his hands off the pastries the little cook has so carefully prepared. They smell delicious! As the other two carry on their negotiations with the Whitecloaks, the stocky man stands casually and smiles amiably at those behind him in line.
[/section]

[sblock=Actions/Rolls]Nuthin' t' see here![/sblock]
 

mfloyd3

Explorer
It quickly becomes clear that the crowd is wanting to give offerings to some smaller deity of the region on a holy day, but the priest is not letting them in. For the priest's part, he's trying to convince the bored guard that the temple has been vandalized and an investigation needs to be launched immediately, as the deity is would take unkindly to the guard disregarding such a heinous act, on the most important day of the year for that deity no less; the guard is unimpressed, and looks like he simply wants to find the nearest tavern.

Seeing the priest's discomfiture, Larissa steps forward, a suspicion gnawing at her mind. "Excuse me," she offers. "Would I be correct in guessing that this act of vandalism is in some way...odd? Perhaps magical in nature?"



[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)
HP: 93 Current: 93
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Fort: +11 Reflex: +3 Will: +10 (currently wearing Cloak of Protection)
PER Roll: +3
Move: 30’ (w/boots of Striding & Springing)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+2 Greatsword Attack: +14/+9 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2)]
Damage: 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]
Damage: 2d6+14, Crit: 19-20/x2,




Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (5+1) Level 02 (4+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Shatter
* Read Magic * Protection from Evil * Resist Energy
* Light * Detect Evil * Grace
* Guidance * Obscuring Mist * Zone of Truth
* *unassigned * D: Spiritual Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith


Level 03 (4+1) Level 04 (2+1)

* Speak with Dead * Summon Monster IV
* Remove Curse * Divination
* D: Holy Smite
* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light
* D: Heroism



Channeling at current level: Channel 4d6,
DC 18 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for
Undead to Save.





[/sblock]
 


sunshadow21

Explorer
[sblock=Temple]The priest hesitates just slightly. "Odd is never a word I would use for sacrilegious behavior, but I have no doubt dark and nefarious magic was involved. As you are clearly trained in the way of the gods, unlike this faithless heathen, I will let you see for yourself the unspeakable crime that has occurred here, and hopefully you can successfully convey the true depths of infamy that has occurred here to this faithless cur, though I find that difficult to believe is possible at this point." At that, the priest gives some orders to the adepts standing nearby and disappears into a side yard of the temple complex. The guard just yawns through the entire rant before warning you that you are wasting your time and walking off. An adept lets you into the main building, and it takes you several minutes to figure out what has the priest so worked up. It isn't until you see an adept carrying a small travel statue out to the side yard that you realize what it wrong. Unlike the statue being carried by the adept, none of the statuary in the temple has faces, nor does any of the statuary look like it ever had or wanted anything more than a blank space where the face should be. Whoever did this was good; there is neither magic nor any other immediate clues of who removed the faces so cleanly or how.[/sblock]
 

kinem

Adventurer
"So let's head to that address and see what's what. Too bad I'm out of cinnamon rolls," Lem says giving Weylyn a knowing and apologetic look.

Menik says "Agreed, though I was hoping for a lead with a bit more meat to it. I guess the guards are fed up with all of the sour faces they have to deal with, so it's hard for them to respond in a tasteful manner sometimes.

Anyway, so this lead is a cook like you, Lem; that should give you two something to chew over!

Say, I think all of this investigative work might be making me hungry."
 

mfloyd3

Explorer
Larissa surveys the scene. She considers the powerful blessings she has requested of her patrons in her morning prayers, but decides not to invoke them yet. Always better to begin with the mundane.

"Tell me of this," she asks the priest. "Has your order any enemies, or have any spoken against it of late? Was anyone seen coming or going from here?"




[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)
HP: 93 Current: 93
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Fort: +11 Reflex: +3 Will: +10 (currently wearing Cloak of Protection)
PER Roll: +3
Move: 30’ (w/boots of Striding & Springing)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+2 Greatsword Attack: +14/+9 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2)]
Damage: 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]
Damage: 2d6+14, Crit: 19-20/x2,




Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (5+1) Level 02 (4+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Shatter
* Read Magic * Protection from Evil * Resist Energy
* Light * Detect Evil * Grace
* Guidance * Obscuring Mist * Zone of Truth
* *unassigned * D: Spiritual Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith


Level 03 (4+1) Level 04 (2+1)

* Speak with Dead * Summon Monster IV
* Remove Curse * Divination
* D: Holy Smite
* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light
* D: Heroism



Channeling at current level: Channel 4d6,
DC 18 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for
Undead to Save.





[/sblock]
 

sunshadow21

Explorer
[sblock=Temple]"We have no enemies that I am aware of, being but a small community that leaves others alone. As for others being around, the only one who would know would be the acolyte that was found giggling like a little girl this morning. It was his duty to watch over the sanctum on the eve of this most holy day, and he was found giggling like a little girl. If you wish to investigate his quarters, I will allow it under the circumstances. Ask one of the adepts any further questions you may have; I must prepare to offer as proper a ceremony as possible under these trying conditions. Oh, and if you find those responsible, I will ensure that the community finds a proper reward." The priest is obviously very upset and annoyed at the situation as he walks off.[/sblock]

[sblock=Cook's House]You approach a neat looking two story house nestled amongst some sizeable and well tended gardens. Already, you can guess that a cook lives here, with the rich aroma of many herbs from the garden filling the air. Upon opening the door, your nostrils are greeted with the wonderful smells of something cooking in the house, and the gingerbread golem who opened the door signals for you to wait before disappearing into a side room. Shortly thereafter, a halfling maid appears, "Good afternoon, good sirs; are you here to see Master Gendrew or Mistress Andolyn?"[/sblock]
 

mfloyd3

Explorer
Larissa thanks the priest, and finds one of the adepts to escort her to the acolyte's quarters.

The priestess sets about searching the spartan quarters, looking for anything out of the ordinary for such a devotee.

[sblock=ooc]

1d20+3=23

Woot!

FYI, sunshadow, I tried this roll twice under Coyote code but it did not print the result. I just wanted to mention this in case you came across such a roll later and the result showed.

[/sblock]




[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)
HP: 93 Current: 93
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Fort: +11 Reflex: +3 Will: +10 (currently wearing Cloak of Protection)
PER Roll: +3
Move: 30’ (w/boots of Striding & Springing)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+2 Greatsword Attack: +14/+9 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2)]
Damage: 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]
Damage: 2d6+14, Crit: 19-20/x2,




Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (5+1) Level 02 (4+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Shatter
* Read Magic * Protection from Evil * Resist Energy
* Light * Detect Evil * Grace
* Guidance * Obscuring Mist * Zone of Truth
* *unassigned * D: Spiritual Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith


Level 03 (4+1) Level 04 (2+1)

* Speak with Dead * Summon Monster IV
* Remove Curse * Divination
* D: Holy Smite
* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light
* D: Heroism



Channeling at current level: Channel 4d6,
DC 18 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for
Undead to Save.





[/sblock]
 


kinem

Adventurer
[sblock=Cook's House]You approach a neat looking two story house nestled amongst some sizeable and well tended gardens. Already, you can guess that a cook lives here, with the rich aroma of many herbs from the garden filling the air. Upon opening the door, your nostrils are greeted with the wonderful smells of something cooking in the house, and the gingerbread golem who opened the door signals for you to wait before disappearing into a side room. Shortly thereafter, a halfling maid appears, "Good afternoon, good sirs; are you here to see Master Gendrew or Mistress Andolyn?"[/sblock]

Menik says "Good afternoon, madam. I believe that our business is with Master Gendrew. Are both cooks?"
 
Last edited:

sunshadow21

Explorer
[sblock=Temple]Larissa finds very little unusual about the room, save for the complete lack of personal papers. This absence is rapidly explained by the abundance of ash and paper scraps in the fire place. Most of the scraps are too far gone to be of any use, but one is intriguing. On the corner of a piece of paper, there is a small sketch of what appears to be a garden with an X marked on one of the buildings. As you are leaving the temple, you are stopped by an older looking human female wearing some simple, but very nicely made robes. "Excuse, but I was told that you were looking into the matter that occurred here last night. I am Andolyn, a mage for hire, and one of my former associates asked that I look into the matter, as he believed it might have something to do with some other concerns a few of us have been looking into."[/sblock]

[sblock=Cook's House]"Mistress Andolyn is not a cook, so if you are looking for a cook, you are definitely looking for Master Gendrew. If you wish to wait in the parlor, I will inform him of your presence, though it might be a bit before he can attend to you. He is putting the finishing touches on a big dinner for a major wedding tomorrow. Oh, and please try not to eat Sweet'ums; we just replaced his arms and there is little time right now to bake new ones." She leads you into a side parlor, and the amazing aromas are even stronger inside the house. She returns shortly with a tray of cookies and some wonderful smelling cider for you to snack on while you wait. After about half an hour, a man wearing chef garb enters the room. "I apologize for the delay; Rowena tells me you are looking for a cook. My schedule is a bit busy right now, but if it is a small job, I can probably fit it in."[/sblock]
 

mfloyd3

Explorer
Larissa smiles politely at the mage. "Larissa Kondred, at your service," she introduces herself. "Yes, I am concerned about recent events as well. These Children of the Mud seem to be using powerful magic to create chaos, and I would see them stopped." She looks at the mage. "You have concerns with them as well?" she prompts.



[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)
HP: 93 Current: 93
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Fort: +11 Reflex: +3 Will: +10 (currently wearing Cloak of Protection)
PER Roll: +3
Move: 30’ (w/boots of Striding & Springing)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+2 Greatsword Attack: +14/+9 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2)]
Damage: 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]
Damage: 2d6+14, Crit: 19-20/x2,




Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (5+1) Level 02 (4+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Shatter
* Read Magic * Protection from Evil * Resist Energy
* Light * Detect Evil * Grace
* Guidance * Obscuring Mist * Zone of Truth
* *unassigned * D: Spiritual Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith


Level 03 (4+1) Level 04 (2+1)

* Speak with Dead * Summon Monster IV
* Remove Curse * Divination
* D: Holy Smite
* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light
* D: Heroism



Channeling at current level: Channel 4d6,
DC 18 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for
Undead to Save.





[/sblock]
 

Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition Starter Box

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top