Trek Children of the Mud

sunshadow21

Villager
DM: Sunshadow21
Judge: Aura

Start Date: 8/30/2015
End Date: 12/15/15

UPDATED WITH FINAL NUMBERS


[sblock=Character Information]Larissa Kondred
Starting lvl/XP: 9/56,120
Encounter XP: 5,400 xp; Encounter GP: 5,200 gp
time xp (108 days x 116 xp) = 12,528 xp; time gp (108 days x 89 gp) = 9,612 gp
total xp = 17,928 xp; total gp = 14,812 gp
Ending xp = 74,048 xp

Lem the Cook
Starting lvl/XP: 9/58,488
lvl 9 (level after Marsh Jellies)
encounter xp = 2200 xp; encounter gp = 2575 gp
time 9 xp (90 days x 116 xp) = 10440 xp; level 9 time gp (90 days x 89 gp) = 8010 gp
lvl 10
encounter xp: 3200 xp; encounter gp = 2625 gp
time xp (18 days x 188 xp) = 3384 xp; level 10 time gp (0 days x 111 gp) = 1998 gp
total xp = 19224 xp; total gp = 0
Ending xp = 77,712 xp

Menik
Starting lvl/XP: 9/58,488
lvl 9 (level after Marsh Jellies)
encounter xp = 2200 xp; encounter gp = 2575 gp
time 9 xp (90 days x 116 xp) = 10440 xp; level 9 time gp (90 days x 89 gp) = 8010 gp
lvl 10
encounter xp: 3200 xp; encounter gp = 2625 gp
time xp (18 days x 188 xp) = 3384 xp; level 10 time gp (0 days x 111 gp) = 1998 gp
total xp = 19224 xp; total gp = 0
Ending xp = 77,712 xp

Weylyn Wealbetwyn
Starting lvl/XP: 9/50,000
Encounter XP: 5,400 xp; Encounter GP: 5,200 gp
time xp (108 days x 116 xp) = 12,528 xp; time gp (108 days x 89 gp) = 9,612 gp
total xp = 17,928 xp; total gp = 14,812
Ending xp = 67,982 xp[/sblock]

[sblock=my DMing rules for LPF]* I will use group initiatives, rolling them myself. In order to not unduly punish those with high initiatives, I take the average of each side and add it to the dice. In combat you must post your actions within 48-72 hours of the players turn coming up. Unless stated by a character that their actions are to follow another character, they will be resolved in posted order. After that time, if there was no communication with the DM, I will NPC the MIA player and move on.

* Dice rollers can be Invisible Castle or the EnWorld on-line dice roller for the players. I will using my own methods for rolling because some rolls need to kept secret and it's just plain faster when trying to roll for a lot of npcs.

* Any absences for longer than 2-3 days should be communicated to the DM. If you do not post for a week or more without having informed the DM, he reserves the right to remove you from the adventure giving you your share of the XP and treasure earned as well as time XP and gp to the date of your last post

* If your character gets enough XP to level they may do so at the end of an encounter. This grants the extra hp, but does not heal damage, and grants any additional spell slots, but not spells prepared. A caster capable of spontaneously casting could use these slots normally, a cleric could only use them for cure or inflict spells, a druid for summon nature's ally, etc. Prepared casters may prepare spells in these slots as if they had left the slots blank for the day, if the adventure allows them time to do so. They can go through the appropriate spell preparation as if they had already rested if applicable.

* All characters need an appropriate character picture. Also a mini-stat spoiler block that includes a link to your character sheet would be much appreciated in every IC post during a fight.

*If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I can't answer any concerns I don't know about.[/sblock]

Example Mini-stats block:
[sblock=Mini Stats]
Ariel Esimae
Initiative: +2
AC: 19 (17 without shield/flat-footed, 12 Touch)
HP: 9 Current: 9
CMB: +1 CMD: 13 Fort: +4 Reflex: +4 Will: +6 (+8 vs. Fear)
+1 for all with Resistance
Resistance: 5 Cold, 5 Acid, 5 Electricity

Current Weapon in Hand: Shield & javelin

Fire Bolt: 3/6 Remaining Channel Energy: 1/5 remaining
Deflection Aura: 1/1 remaining
Spells Remaining: 1st Level 2/3; used Shield of Faith for CLW [/sblock]

[sblock=Encounter Information]8/30/15 Start
10/18/15 Investigation: 50 days, CR 5 1600 xp total/400 xp each
11/15/15 Temple: 28 days, CR 8 4800 xp total/1200 xp each
11/27/15 Marsh Jellies: 12 days, CR 6 2400 xp total/600 xp each
12/15/15 Neh-Thallgu Prophet: 18 days, CR 11 12800 xp total/3200 xp each; loot: +2 Spell-Storing Armored Coat (9200), +2 Ring of Protection(8000), Clear Spindle Ioun Stone (4000)
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

sunshadow21

Villager
You enter the backroom and find a city guard holding his head and groaning, clearly well on his way to be stone cold drunk and not happy about having the process interrupted. The dead body is laid out on a table in the corner, covered with a sheet. The guard just looks at you and says in a drunken slur, "The captain should be here shortly. The sooner the better; I just bought a full mug of some of this inn's best and would like to get back to it." As he speaks, a waitress brings in a small tray of food. "It ain't what you folks are probably used to for these interviews, but despite these lugheads not having manners, the staff wanted to make clear that any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. We pride ourselves on a running a clean, safe place, and incidents like this do nothing to aid that quest." It's clear that the staff here has taken this attack very personally.
 
Last edited:

kinem

Community Supporter
When the performer collapses, Menik casts detect magic to try to see if there's any malign mojo at work.

The elven wizard follows the guard into the back room.

"Lem, what's going on? Were you part of the performance?"
 

sunshadow21

Villager
The wizard saw some lingering magic effects on the stage as the cantrip effects came to an end. How much of that was the cantrips and how much something else is impossible to tell, though. In the backroom, there's no magic to be seen. If magic was involved, its role has ended.
 

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem tells Menik in all seriousness, "No, but if I told you something was speaking to me inside my mind after I stood before the man here, threatening and raving, would you promise not to send me to the nut house?"
 

mfloyd3

Villager
"I would believe you," a voice answers the halfling. The words are spoken by a tall human woman who has just entered the room. She is calm but resolute, cutting an impressive figure in her armor and flowing white cloak. "He said much the same to me, and by the same means."

"I have some training in the healing arts," she offers. "If I may?" At a nod from the guard, Larissa bends and carefully examines the body.

[sblock=ooc]
Heal roll to determine cause of death: 1D20+7 = [9]+7 = 16

[/sblock]



[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)
HP: 93 Current: 93
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Fort: +11 Reflex: +3 Will: +10 (currently wearing Cloak of Protection)
PER Roll: +3
Move: 30’ (w/boots of Striding & Springing)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+2 Greatsword Attack: +14/+9 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2)]
Damage: 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]
Damage: 2d6+14, Crit: 19-20/x2,




Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (4+1) Level 02 (3+1) Level 03 (1+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Bull's Strength * Dispel Magic
* Read Magic *Divine Favor l * Grace * D: Heroism
* Light * Detect Evil * Silence
* Guidance * Remove Fear * D: Spiritual Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith




Channeling at current level: Channel 4d6,
DC 17 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for
Undead to Save. 5x/day, Selective (skip up to 2 targets)




[/sblock]
 

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]



A short, burly man follows closely on the heels of the much taller woman, staying just outside her "bubble" of personal space as he strides boldly into the room. "Ay, my name be Weylyn." He nods confidently to the others in the room, shifting the huge hammer hanging from a quick release hoop over his shoulder with casual ease born of long familiarity. "Anything I can do to help?"
[/section]

[sblock=OOC]Working on my stat block.[/sblock]
 

sunshadow21

Villager
The dead man looks like he lay down for a nap and simply decided to not wake up. Anyone who had not seen the display in the common room would not have reason to suspect anything odd just by looking at the body.

OOC: Will get a fuller post up after work. Running a bit late this morning.
 

mfloyd3

Villager
"I have no great skill as a healer," admits Larissa, looking up. "But there seems nothing odd about his death. His heart or his brain may have seized. He may have been ill for sometime, and to judge by his behavior his mind was affected. He was skilled in the mystic arts, to be sure, but where is the mystery of which you spoke?"




[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)
HP: 93 Current: 93
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Fort: +11 Reflex: +3 Will: +10 (currently wearing Cloak of Protection)
PER Roll: +3
Move: 30’ (w/boots of Striding & Springing)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+2 Greatsword Attack: +14/+9 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2)]
Damage: 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]
Damage: 2d6+14, Crit: 19-20/x2,




Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (5+1) Level 02 (4+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Shatter
* Read Magic * Protection from Evil * Resist Energy
* Light * Detect Evil * Grace
* Guidance * Obscuring Mist * *unassigned
* *unassigned * D: Spiritual Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith


Level 03 (4+1) Level 04 (2+1)

* Summon Monster III * Summon Monster IV
* Magic Circle Against * Divine Power
Evil * D: Holy Smite
* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light
* D: Heroism



Channeling at current level: Channel 4d6,
DC 18 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for
Undead to Save.





[/sblock]
 

sunshadow21

Villager
"The mystery is who keeps chugging these lunatics out and why," a weary voice replies. You turn to see that a younger looking militia captain and several town guards have entered the room. After dismissing the off duty guard, who happily disappears back to the common room where his drink is waiting, the captain looks at the peaceful look on the dead man's face before commenting wryly, "At least someone involved in this mess is at peace. I would trade places with him in a heartbeat right now," before taking a seat and looking the group over. One of the sergeants pulls out a medical kit and starts doing a preliminary examination of the body while the others take up positions on either side of the door. "You must be the volunteers I was told of. I am Captain Rossi, commander of the special operations unit in the militia. Which means that the militia, army, and now the city guard all dump their biggest headaches on me, completely ignoring the respect and station I am due, and what is worse, my father lets them. But I digress; welcome to my little corner of insanity. I suspect that sooner or later you will regret joining me here. These Children of the Mud are completely nuts. I just came from one of the smaller squares of the city where a crowd had gathered only to be seemingly voluntarily and permanently polymorphed into farm animals. The casters included themselves in the transformation, so we have absolutely no leads to follow, but the entire neighborhood is up in arms that we do something immediately. When we already have a dozen confirmed cases of these nutcases, at least twice as many that could be, and the heavens only know how many others that we don't know about, with not a single lead from any of them. If this doesn't get solved fast, these fiends are going to make all my hair go gray, and that would be a big loss to the ladies in town." It's blatantly obvious at this point that the captain's ego is probably larger than his career ever will be; his uniform is clearly one that not even a regular army captain would wear outside of all but the most formal of events, and you are pretty sure that even if his hair did turn gray, he would simply dye it, even if it meant spending his fortune away to do so. After a few minutes of huffing and puffing as if he just ran a marathon when you doubt that he would run even a full block without a lot of external force being applied, he continues, "As I said before, we know nothing about this group aside from the fact that they all seem, without question, completely insane. The people that get involved in it seem to come from every neighborhood and social class, and anytime anybody even remotely associated with the guard try to ask around, nobody knows anything at all about this group, despite the various rumors that apparently are reasonably well known to most who care to find out."

He growls in annoyance as the sergeant examining the body speaks up, "Nothing to report here, sir. The man seems to have been in perfect health, and simply decided to go to sleep permanently." After several choice curses words flow from the captain, he turns to the group, "Feel free to investigate this if you know something I don't; otherwise, I'll contact you if I learn of any other cases. If you learn anything of merit, just let anyone in the guard know and someone will get you an appropriate reward; probably make me pay for it to, the cheap bastards." With that, he orders the guards to take the covered body to the morgue and leaves the room in a huff, completely oblivious to his rudeness.
 

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"Boy, we have nothing but a bunch of oddball characters just running around now, don't we. I can't believe I'm missing second breakfast for this. Alright, here is what I know so far. One, the nutcase in question didn't really seem to be in control of his own magic. In fact, he seemed darn desperate, but because he kept flinging out magic everyone thought it was part of a show. Second, it sounds like this polymorph spell the officer was alluding to was also from a wizard, so maybe whatever is happening is only happening to spellcasters. Third, when I did get close to our new dead friend, I could have sworn I heard a voice mocking me and telling me that I and others would pay for chaining the world. Well, the voice said some other odd insane things, such as saying I also chained the inhabitants of this world. The only thing I've ever chained was my spice racks to keep them closed during long trips," Lem says with indignation.
 

mfloyd3

Villager
Larissa ponders the guard's description of events, and the halfling's analysis.

"We do not even know who the deceased was," she observes. "Nor who it was who transformed the crowd in the town square. Perhaps we should go there and speak to onlookers, see if any of them might have recognized the casters."

She pauses a moment, reflecting on the man's words, trying to think if she has heard anything like it before.

[sblock=ooc]
Making a Know: Religion roll to see if Larissa has heard of any dogma that might match the "unchaining the world" schtick.
Know: Religion re: Chaining the world: 1D20+5 = [13]+5 = 18


[/sblock]




[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)
HP: 93 Current: 93
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Fort: +11 Reflex: +3 Will: +10 (currently wearing Cloak of Protection)
PER Roll: +3
Move: 30’ (w/boots of Striding & Springing)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+2 Greatsword Attack: +14/+9 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2)]
Damage: 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]
Damage: 2d6+14, Crit: 19-20/x2,




Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (5+1) Level 02 (4+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Shatter
* Read Magic * Protection from Evil * Resist Energy
* Light * Detect Evil * Grace
* Guidance * Obscuring Mist * *unassigned
* *unassigned * D: Spiritual Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith


Level 03 (4+1) Level 04 (2+1)

* Summon Monster III * Summon Monster IV
* Magic Circle Against * Divine Power
Evil * D: Holy Smite
* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light
* D: Heroism



Channeling at current level: Channel 4d6,
DC 18 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for
Undead to Save.





[/sblock]
 

kinem

Community Supporter
"Hi, I am Menik, and a wizard. Who are you?" Menik asks the woman. "Good idea about checking the square.

Sounds like there could be telepathy, mind affecting magic, or even invisible monsters that possess people like ghosts involved. Let me think for a minute. Lem, maybe the monsters can't be seen because they're tiny and look and taste just like bits of your spices. Or maybe not."


ooc: Knowledge (arcana, history, planes, religion) = [roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3]
 

sunshadow21

Villager
[sblock=Larissa]As you think about it, you've heard the name before. An erratic group of what can best be described as wannabe cultists have been making some noise in the last few months, but aside from being random and chaotic, they don't seem to have any particular purpose or goals. Unfortunately, that randomness also prevents anybody from finding out any precise information as any intel received is largely outdated fairly quickly, sometimes within hours.[/sblock]

[sblock=Menik]These guys are weird; they don't seem to follow any of the normal rules of magic. Various stories you've heard involve mixing of arcane, divine, and even planar magic that has no right to merely fizzle, let alone work, with the most logical consequence of many of their known actions being immediate explosion or implosion of entire city blocks upon the mere thought of what these people seem to pull off not only regularly, but seemingly easily. You vaguely recall hearing something about something similar somewhere along the Silver Road a few years back, but you never heard any details, and even most of the vague description you heard has been forgotten.[/sblock]
 

mfloyd3

Villager
"Forgive my manners," apologizes the priestess at Menik's self-introduction. "I am Larissa Kondred. A pleasure to meet you all."

Larissa considers the situation. "I have heard something about these Children of the Mud," she observes. "A few of my worshippers of the Sword Saints have complained about their cult. But I know little of them, just that they revel in chaos. And I fear I do not know how to find them."





[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)
HP: 93 Current: 93
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Fort: +11 Reflex: +3 Will: +10 (currently wearing Cloak of Protection)
PER Roll: +3
Move: 30’ (w/boots of Striding & Springing)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+2 Greatsword Attack: +14/+9 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2)]
Damage: 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]
Damage: 2d6+14, Crit: 19-20/x2,




Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (5+1) Level 02 (4+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Shatter
* Read Magic * Protection from Evil * Resist Energy
* Light * Detect Evil * Grace
* Guidance * Obscuring Mist * *unassigned
* *unassigned * D: Spiritual Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith


Level 03 (4+1) Level 04 (2+1)

* Summon Monster III * Summon Monster IV
* Magic Circle Against * Divine Power
Evil * D: Holy Smite
* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light
* D: Heroism



Channeling at current level: Channel 4d6,
DC 18 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for
Undead to Save.





[/sblock]
 

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]



Weylyn nods at the others' words. "I know nothing o' these 'Children o' the Mud.' Sounds like faerie magic t' me, though. Ay, OK. Let's leave th' guard with th' body and check out this square the Captain spoke of."
[/section]

[sblock=OOC]Working on my stat block.[/sblock]
 

kinem

Community Supporter
Menik says "Good to meet you. Strange magic, indeed. I vaguely remember hearing of something similar along the Silver Road a few years back, but I don't know any details. All right, let's go.

Which square was it, Captain?"


After getting the location he heads there with the others.
 

sunshadow21

Villager
Getting the location of the square is quickly done, and the party quickly finds themselves in one of the cities many neighborhood squares. This one seems to be fairly typical, mostly inhabited by government clerks and various white collar workers. There's still a chicken on a lamp post, and a large bull is taking a nap right in front of the door to the tavern, aptly named the Lazy Bull, that various locals and guards are struggling to gather into the makeshift pens that fill the usually empty areas of the square. Some of the locals seems merely confused, some angry, but all seem completely perplexed at what to do with the farm animals as you enter the square.
 

kinem

Community Supporter
Menik casts detect magic and inspects the animals.

He says "Alas, I didn't learn the magic to dispel other spells, as abjuration has never been among my strong suits as a wizard. However, I should go back to the Pearl and buy a scroll so I can learn it for the near future.

I guess blasts of fire can't solve this one. Well, I might have one option for it but best to avoid it if possible. I could summon a babau demon that might help but that could be dangerous.

Can any of you dispel the polymorph?

In the meantime, let's interview witnesses."
 

Advertisement

Top