Chinese Geomancers?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
The geomantic art of feng shui is an important component of Chinese culture, has anyone developed rules for it in D&D or other RPGs? Is there a fang shih class?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Palladium Games has one for their Mystic China sourebook. I think it was originally designed for Ninjas & Superspies, but you can adapt it for Rifts or any other Palladium game setting.
I think I have that somewhere, I need to dig through my library. It would be surprising to me no one has done something similar for D&D...

ichabod

Legned
There's an entire roleplaying game called Feng Shui (by Robin Laws/Atlas Games). It doesn't have much to do with traditional feng shui. It's more about Hong Kong action movies. But in the broader world of the game there are feng shui sites that various factions are trying to control and attune to, which can give in game benefits.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
There's an entire roleplaying game called Feng Shui (by Robin Laws/Atlas Games). It doesn't have much to do with traditional feng shui. It's more about Hong Kong action movies. But in the broader world of the game there are feng shui sites that various factions are trying to control and attune to, which can give in game benefits
That sounds interesting. How do the sites work?

ichabod

Legned
That sounds interesting. How do the sites work?
You have to attune to the site, which requires a "strong claim" to the site. This is basically control of the site, but not just short term control. Then you have to attune to the site by meditating there for 24 hours. The first time you do this is the first time you get to advance your character. Later advancements are somewhat random, but the more feng shui sites you control, the more likely you are to advance. Your enemies can mess up the feng shui of your sites, or you can mess up theirs.

The rules don't really get into the details of feng shui, just some general statements and a skill and some magic "shticks." But if you knew more about feng shui you could certainly bring that into the game.

Voadam

Legend
I thought there was a 3e prestige class that was a caster using power from the earth that seemed loosely Fengu Shui inspired but I cannot seem to find it.

2e had Chinese Taoist and Confucian specialty priests in Legends & Lore which is Chinese culturally but not Feng Shui specific.

Mystic China for Ninjas & Superspies, as noted, has the Fang Shih class which is an occult Feng Shui geomancer for the Palladium system. Feng Shui is a skill in the book for evaluating the chi in an area.

If you are looking up stuff in general then geomancy is a term often used for mystical Feng Shui stuff in RPGs a bunch and non-Chinese focused sourcebooks sometimes bring in the concept under that title for Feng Shui inspired stuff.

reelo

Hero
Dolmenwood has Ley Lines that are somewhat imprtant. The Drunes, a faction which guards the standing stones along those lines, are described as geomants.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I found my copy of Mystic China. It has a lot of good content. I want some other good sources, preferably things that are D&D compatible and not overly complex.

Last edited:

Remove ads