Level Up (A5E) Choose a page: Adventurer's Guide

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The wolf changes are quite strange here. So, losing an AC and 1.5 damage (or 2 if using average) but gaining a single point of Prone DC as well as gaining darvision seems weird. The wolf is now much less of a threat, even if the cool 'wolf jumps on you' moment is 5% more likely.
I don't know... do you take 'basic melee damage' (or whatever it's called) when you fall prone?

Faolyn

(she/her)
I don't know... do you take 'basic melee damage' (or whatever it's called) when you fall prone?
I don't think so. Or rather, the wolf doesn't seem to be using Knockdown or Shove, which would cause basic melee damage. It's using an unnamed wolf ability that's a side effect of its bite.

Of course, if you want to say that it has two attacks, one bite and one Knockdown, just so it inflicts that extra damage...

Stalker0

Legend
That warhorse is actually a good bit different. Less offense and speed, but with a lot more HP.

tiger: just once I want to see “tiger uppercut” as an ability of theirs ;)

VanguardHero

Adventurer
The wolf changes are quite strange here. So, losing an AC and 1.5 damage (or 2 if using average) but gaining a single point of Prone DC as well as gaining darvision seems weird. The wolf is now much less of a threat, even if the cool 'wolf jumps on you' moment is 5% more likely.
My guess is that the numbers on o5e Wolf severely undervalued Pack Tactics. Assuming they get it 80% of the time, it's effectively a +4 to hit, mathematically. Advantage being a +5 on average not quite guaranteed. With the more solid backing for CR levels makes sense they'd want to bring it in line.

Add on that with the CR limit on A5e Beastmaster, they probably wanted wolf to remain CR 1/4, so they instead down tuned it to be in line with the new CR math instead of leaving it as is and increasing its CR.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
275 (just in case)
Happy to be annoying about this. I want my invocations.
275! And that's it with these, folks. The PDFs will be in your hands in (checks watch) about 6 hours!

Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 4.35.40 PM.png

Remove ads