D&D 5E Chris Perkins drops 2020 hint!

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
So, just like Curse of Strahd basically incorporated the Ravenloft Setting in with the Campaign Adventure, as well as being a basic revival of that property in a singular form, why couldn't Perkins be working on something similar now?

Could be, but the thing is that Perkins said, "If you like Curse of Strahd, I think you’re going to love the thing I’m currently working on for 2020." It's kind of a reach to think that this is going to be something other than a horror-themed adventure. Could be another Ravenloft adventure (or not), but it has to have some quality of CoS or else that would be meaningless to say.

I'm not sure it just has to be some adventure, or some campaign setting...could there be a possibility of it being a little of both to a small degree?

Of course it could easily be something entirely different, but I'm just wondering why everyone is figuring it has to be solely only an adventure or campaign setting?

Perkins is the adventure guy, so it's a safe bet that it's an adventure.

We have to remember this setting has more 20 years, enough time for authors to work their own ideas about the metaplot. (The first book of the saga "Song of Ice & Fire", Game of Thrones was published in 1996).

My own feeling about the demiplane of the dread is the dark powers aren't invincible, only we will need more time, maybe generations or centuries. The Spanish History tells how we were recovering our land for the Reconquest against the Muslims invaders.

I have seen something things in the wikipedia, mistpedia, and I suspect the land of the mists is a time loop as the movies groundhog day or happy death day, because some characters could be time-travelers. (this is only a theory).

Ravenloft will come back because WotC knows it's very popular among many players. The question is about how to add new ideas, or some possible spin-off. My suggestion is dark powers could try taint some regions, or at least a little zone, in the material plane. Even they could cause a "zombie-apocalypse". Let's imagine the PCs get out the demiplane but they go to Vladantilan, formerly ruled by vampyres, and now suffering a "mist-storm apocalypse" like "Fortnite: save the world". If WotC allows stories about dark powers infecting or cursing some crystal sphere, you can bet DM Guild will offer Ravenloft spin-off created by the own fans, some times using different sources of inspiration. WotC has to open some doors because it has got a rival, Pathfinder, and 3rd Party publishers creating their own worlds.

What new ideas would you allow in the revival, or changes in the metaplot? For example a dark lord is save/forgiven/healed, or a island of terror is destroyed because the dark lord was defeated.

WotC can recycle firearms from d20 Modern and d20 Past, but the question is if they are playtesting a videogame with d20 system and different playable factions, the balance of power is broken if gunpowder is cheaper than magic. Or a steam ship could be used to run over a sea monster willfully (This happened in a famous Lovecraft's tale).

1573979772555.png

1573979718837.png

1573976508238.png

1573979399545.png

1573978848658.png

1573978940298.png

I think it comes out after than Dark Sun, barring some anniversary or media tie-in.
I would rather see Dark Sun, but I expect to see Dragonlance first, perhaps as early as 2020, for a couple of reasons:

• It's closer to core rules. The current team seem very reluctant to remove anything from a setting;
  • It's easier to adapt to other media. I expect there have already been serious discussions about a new Dragonlance TV show.

The door for the return of Dark Sun isn't closed at all, but they need more time. I wonder about plot after the prism pentad and the tribe of one books. What plans about the rest of planet? (and how would be a crossover with Jakandor?)

I see the option of more modules, but this time original work, not only remakes, with the Ravenloft style. Some modules would be in almost unknown material worlds, only mentioned in Ravenloft works. This would allow some things could happen, a happy end where the evil lord is destroyed or a zombie apocalypse.

And sorry because this is almost off-topic. The gothic horror genre has its roots in the romanticism, the reaction to the rationalism. I am seeing the current gothic horror is starting to change because our own society does it, this new gothic horror is also a reaction against previous ideas. Now gothic horror speaks about other matters as the (supernatural?) punishment for the sinners, the faith and hope in the fight against a tragic fate or the fatalism, the corruption caused by the power without moral virtues (not only by Dr Frankenstein), or who become monsters because they have forgotten the respect for the human dignity (as some characters from "Games of Thrones") wasting very precious opportunities of redemption.

Some players are reborn Christians, lost sheeps who come back to the right path, and this is showed or reflected in their own fan fiction (yes, I warn you could find like the dark fantasy equivalent to "la rosa de Guadalupe" ( = the rose of Guadalupe), a very popular Mexican sobrenatural drama). Some players want a splatterpunk and grimm style, but others would rather a different tone, for example paranormal romance with a happy end, about tortured souls reaching forgiveness and redemption, defeating own fear, or at least heroic sacrifice to save innocent or loyalty for some ideals, like the saint martyrs. Somebody want more gore, but others more softer, like R.L. Stine's Goosebump teleserie to play with teenage family. Ravenloft should allow different styles.

1574012335600.png

1574013140831.png

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
The door for the return of Dark Sun isn't closed at all, but they need more time. I wonder about plot after the prism pentad and the tribe of one books. What plans about the rest of planet? (and how would be a crossover with Jakandor?)

I see the option of more modules, but this time original work, not only remakes, with the Ravenloft style.

I can almost guarantee that when Dark Sun returns, Prism Pentad will be retconned out of existence. The already rebooted Dark Sun in 4e to reverse 98% of what happened in that series because it kills off almost all the major players in that world.

Also part of Dark Sun's appeal is that it is cut off from the rest of the multiverse. It's not a scary place if you can just planeshift away. So a crossover with Jakandor or anything else is almost off the table.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I can almost guarantee that when Dark Sun returns, Prism Pentad will be retconned out of existence. The already rebooted Dark Sun in 4e to reverse 98% of what happened in that series because it kills off almost all the major players in that world.

Also part of Dark Sun's appeal is that it is cut off from the rest of the multiverse. It's not a scary place if you can just planeshift away. So a crossover with Jakandor or anything else is almost off the table.

there is always a way. A temporary gate under the right rare circumstances. Just don’t make it replicatable. Just something for crisis crossovers. And of course the dark powers created a domain for a dark lord from Athas. But they are deity level

Dark Sun in 4th Ed wasn't a complete reboot if more retcon with some little details, as the new races. But this may be the best example to explain the challenge for game designers to new things, races or classes, to previous settings. Would you allow wardens and seers, 4th Ed new classes, to Athas? And the psionic ardent, , the lurker or the soulknife?

(and the time-travel has been canon in Dark Sun).

A crossover Jakandor-Dark Sun is possible but we allow ourself to break some rules. I don't talking about visitors from outer (but some githyankis did it) but people from Athas and Jakandor being sent to a third region. Athas is almost totally disconnected, but not always it was like this. In the past, maybe before the genocide wars, some native from Athas could go to other zones.

We know nothing but I have suggest in the past the idea of a megaevent linked to all settings, like marvel secret wars of infinite earth crisis by DC to justify some retcons and changes in the continuity and metaplot, with the chronomancers and time spheres as excuse. This idea needs time, and maybe future titles in the main media could cause alteration in these stories.

Some Ravenloft novels aren't set within the land of the mists but in some regions from the prime material plane. I guess we could see more modules set in these zones, totally unknown for us, without links with famous worlds (FR, Grayhawk, Mystara or Krynn). These modules would allow different endings aren't possible in Ravenloft, for example a villain could be forgiven because he face a worse menace, or to start a undead apocalypse. Any modules wouldn't be within the demiplane of the dread really but in certain shadow domains, special demiplanes in the shadowfell (canon in 4th Ed).

I have published some pictures because I have thought they could be useful as source of inspiration. If you want to be really creative you have to be openedmind and to drink from multiple sources and after mixing all in a idea storm. Ravenloft has to be loyal to its true roots, but also allowing different styles. Somebody will want something like Nightwish or Within Temptation, but another would rather stories like ones from a videoclip, or AMV, by ERA, Enya or Avril Lavigne singing "Don't let me drown". Somebody will want tragic stories about characters too proud to do the right choice, but others about facing internal fears and challenging tragical fate at least with their sacrifice help to a better tomorrow for other people, with some pieces of hope.

I would be Universal producers may ask a island of terror with XX-XXI look (furniture, fashion and technology) to create a horror serie as Dark Shadow (reboot soon), the mash-up of Sabrina the teenage witch or American Horror Story. This is possible if we allow abductions from other worlds as Gothic Earth (Masque of Red Death), Gamma World or Dark*Matters(d20 Modern), or mini-setting "Age of Adventure", "Shadow Stalkers" or "Pulp Heroes" from d20 Past.

1574079380568.png

(Hexenbiest from Grimm serie, she isn't an undead)

1574079862354.png

Remove ads