Chris Perkins' Io9 Interview: Art & A Bit Of Plot (Big Spoilers!)

So, I called it correctly, then...in some thread around here. The reason Lolth isn't being showcased as one of the rampaging demonlords/-ladies is the whole thing is a Lolth scheme. Way to give away the punchline there, Mr. Perkins. But always nice to be validated. :)

EDIT: I mean, not really giving it away by much. It drops tomorrow so the boards will be ablaze with spoilers from then on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
There's a lengthy interview with Chris Perkins over at iO9 about Out of the Abyss (release date - tomorrow!) Not only does it contain some new art, it also contains a major plot spoiler - one major enough that I've left it below the fold for those reading this on the news page. The interview also discusses illithids, svirneblin, insane derro cuthroat gangs, weird architecture, and more. This is an interview which covers more of the darker stuff than the whimsical stuff we've been seeing a lot of recently.

So, what's the big spoiler. Well, some folks wondered why a certain Spider Queen was not featured in the eight rampaging demon lords of the adventure. It turns out there's a reason for that: the whole thing is Lloth's scheme! Here's the main plot; like I said - spoilers!

The story begins with a single disenfranchised male drow casting a spell that harnesses the power of the faerzress (the ambient magical radiation of the Underdark) and opens the floodgates to the Abyss. This drow is Gromph Baenre, the Archmage of Menzoberranzan, arguably the most powerful male drow spellcaster in the Forgotten Realms, yet he feels subjugated and betrayed by Lolth and her priestesses. His sister, Quenthel Baenre, pushes him a bit too far. However, she’s no pushover herself. In fact, she views the demonic invasion as an opportunity to purge the Underdark of its dregs, within drow society and without. Consequently, she doesn’t fret when Demogorgon rampages through Menzoberranzan. As far as she’s concerned, everything that happens is part of Lolth’s grand scheme, and in this case, she’s right.

Plus Illithiliches. "Orcus, the Demon Prince of Undeath, “saving” a mind flayer enclave whose elder brain, Cyrog, has died. Orcus reanimates the dead elder brain and uses it to telepathically compel the mind flayers to embrace undeath, because the only thing scarier than a mob of mind flayers is a mob of undead mind flayers."

Read the full interview here.

1414275958132491298.jpg

Original post:
Mostly some art and some plot info: The drow matriarchy is put to the test in Rage of Demons. The story begins with a single disenfranchised male drow casting a spell that harnesses the power of the faerzress (the ambient magical radiation of the Underdark) and opens the floodgates to the Abyss. This drow is Gromph Baenre, the Archmage of Menzoberranzan, arguably the most powerful male drow spellcaster in the Forgotten Realms, yet he feels subjugated and betrayed by Lolth and her priestesses. His sister, Quenthel Baenre, pushes him a bit too far. However, she’s no pushover herself. In fact, she views the demonic invasion as an opportunity to purge the Underdark of its dregs, within drow society and without. Consequently, she doesn’t fret when Demogorgon rampages through Menzoberranzan. As far as she’s concerned, everything that happens is part of Lolth’s grand scheme, and in this case, she’s right.

Attachments

• 1414275958132491298.jpg
    1414275958132491298.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 18,832
Last edited by a moderator:

Voort

Explorer
"...because the only thing scarier than a mob of mind flayers is a mob of undead mind flayers."

Why? Now they REALLY want to eat your brain? An undead mind flayer is just a better target for clerics and paladins.

Louis Brenton

Explorer
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not aware of the process or standards by which some stores become preferred stores. Anyone have knowledge on that topic?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not aware of the process or standards by which some stores become preferred stores. Anyone have knowledge on that topic?

They sign up for it. You should check with your local store to see if they have.

pedr

Explorer
Preferred stores are ones which have a particular level of status gained by running organised Magic and D&D events. You can find details on the Wizards Play Network pages on the WotC site.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases